Windows 10: Windows 7 and 8 users are now able to reserve their free copy of W10

Discus and support Windows 7 and 8 users are now able to reserve their free copy of W10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; How does this affect those of us with the Technical Preview installed? I upgrade my Win 8.1 to 10 and am not seeing this offer. Will I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 31, 2015.

1. Windows 7 and 8 users are now able to reserve their free copy of W10

How does this affect those of us with the Technical Preview installed? I upgrade my Win 8.1 to 10 and am not seeing this offer. Will I have to reinstall 8 to even be eligible for the upgrade so MS knows I had a legit copy of Win 8.1?

thunderclap, Jun 1, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

MS has not said anything official if they will have an upgrade from the TP to the final release and I suspect that you'll need Win8.1 and not Win8 to get the upgrade.

BunnyJ, Jun 1, 2015
  3. By "8" I actually meant "8.1". *Smile

thunderclap, Jun 1, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Windows 7 and 8 users are now able to reserve their free copy of W10

Ok..

BunnyJ, Jun 1, 2015
  5. I hope that there is a way just to use my Win8 license key instead of having to reload Win8.1 back onto a PC in order to upgrade.

John Pombrio, Jun 1, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    Maybe they've already grabbed our 7/8.1 keys and they'll simply upgrade us as they have already been doing.

But, like you say, we do have our license keys, anyway.

7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Chances are if you have a Win 8 computer there is a built in key in the BIOS/EUFI thus giving you a life time serial number for Win 8. This number will always be there for the life of the machine thus giving you the ability to always use your Win 8 disc. As to others you will still need to use the Key/keys you still have that have not been used or registered on an install. Also, if for whatever reason you do not want Win 10 just do not reserve it, or buy it. Just because you upgrade to windows 10 does not mean you cannot reinstall the original Windows OS that came with your computer. Again I am sorry if this doesn't make a great deal of sense. . .this last Baby Stroke is really causing me some problems both in reading some of the post, along with writing quotes on any specific post. . .*Smile

8. Windows 7 and 8 users are now able to reserve their free copy of W10

I finally got the enter your e-mail request. I had opened the screen from the icon in the task bar to check something on my laptop and got a "If you want e-mail confirmation when the update is released" Something like that anyway, with a skip option. I didn't bother filling it in. I have no idea what triggered it to show up? Just opened the same screen on my desktop and got the same prompt. I right clicked the icon and selected check your upgrade status.

Windows 7 and 8 users are now able to reserve their free copy of W10 [​IMG]

alphanumeric, Jun 1, 2015
  9. unifex Win User
    I don't run Windows 8, and I have not seen any such invitation on any of my Windows 7 machines. I'm not worried though - as I have a year to "upgrade", it is not clear what is the purpose of this "reservation". I don't see what difference does it make whether I will be able to download and install Windows 10 on July 29th or September 15th. Judging by the speed I do these things there will be a month between downloading and installing anyway *Cool

Moreover, I don't want to do an upgrade anyway. The only machine where I might be interested in installing the new OS is my new laptop, where Windows 7 (which I do run) is not supported by the manufacturer (Acer - I won't buy their products again, but for now I'm using one). They probably will support 10, so once they come up with drivers, I will probably replace the hard drive and install 10. But then it will not be an "upgrade" - 10 will be installed on a brand new drive.

unifex, Jun 1, 2015
  10. jamos316 Win User
    So microsoft are giving away a free upgrade to win 10.
    is there a catch?
    what version of win 10 will we be getting?
    will it be a lifetime licence?

jamos316, Jun 1, 2015
  11. It's not new MS was going to be giving away upgrades of Win10 to Windows 7 and 8.1 users (not sure why 8 isn't included in that). They announced that a while back. As for the version I'm going to venture a guess it's the same version you currently have, that is Home or Pro. And yes... it's a lifetime license for the life of the computer.

thunderclap, Jun 1, 2015
  12. Hoody Win User

so OK, I have this 3035583 installed, I see no icon on my task bar for this thing

Win8.1pro media center with ALL updtes to date

==========================================

EDIT:

Found a way to get it to show up

Go to C:/ or your OS drive...and search for GWX file... it is present in the folder C:/Windows/WinSXS/wow64_microsoft-windows-gwx_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17813_none_abd5ff8f5e617f0d/GWX

Run the GWX application...and you should be good 2 go..

Hoody, Jun 1, 2015
  13. bjproc Win User
    is this available for OEM win 7 versions just now?

as just the other day, i have managed to install SP1 onto my HTPC, all other times on trying i always got an error, loads of updates today but don't see KB3035583 in the installed updates or the GWX folder in system32 folder.

bjproc, Jun 2, 2015
  14. Did you install the optional updates?

alphanumeric, Jun 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 7 and 8 users are now able to reserve their free copy of W10 - Similar Threads - users are able

2. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  3. FREE VPN for W10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FREE VPN for W10?: I am just starting to give some thought to using a VPN with my main browser, Edge. I realise free ones will have various limitations but want to try some first, a promising looking example being WINDSCRIBE. I have tried ChrisPC VPN but without success (it is a sort of...
  4. is Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users?: I'm still running windows 8 and want to upgrade to 10, will I have to purchase a new license key? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgwe3l/is_windows_10_free_for_windows_8_users/
  5. No advantage in Reserving Your Copy?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No advantage in Reserving Your Copy?: What is the advantage of reserving win10? I did this the first moment it was possible. About a month later I eventually did it to my other four machines. The last machine I reserved it on was my laptop. The first machine to say it was ready to install was the...
  6. Reserve Free Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reserve Free Windows 10 Upgrade: This morning before going to work(05:45 my time) a Windows icon showed up in my system tray(on my Windows 8.1 desktop). I'm being offered to reserve Windows 10!!!! I just got back from work took a closer look and accepted. Here's a couple of screenshots: Attachment...
  7. YES, Windows 7 RTM and Windows 8 Are eligible for free upgrade offer

in Windows 10 Support
    YES, Windows 7 RTM and Windows 8 Are eligible for free upgrade offer: There are a lot of people going around telling people that you have to be on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to be eligible for the free upgrade. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Any consumer x86/64 version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.x (ie, not corporate versions) is eligible for the free...
  8. Windows 7 & Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 & Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10: Windows 7 and Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview - Softpedia Does this mean that all users can upgrade, now? 3770
  9. Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users: Microsoft Indonesia confirms a free license for Windows 9 Windows 9 preview is almost here, as Microsoft will unveil the first public build of the upcoming operating system in just a few days, but we have already heard quite a lot of details about this product thanks to...
  10. Users Will Continue to Install Windows 7 Despite W10

in Windows 10 News
    Users Will Continue to Install Windows 7 Despite W10: Microsoft puts all hopes on Windows 10 as far as its plans to maintain its desktop domination and expand into the mobile sector are concerned, but analysts around the world are skeptical that the company would manage to convince users to switch. Back in 2012, when...