Windows 10: Windows 7 Backup schedule fails after upgrade to Windows 10 v1710

Discus and support Windows 7 Backup schedule fails after upgrade to Windows 10 v1710 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have successfuly used the Windows 7 backup in Windows 10 v1703 (Maintenance) to run automatically each Monday at 6 a.m. After upgrade to v1710 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MichaelP, Oct 29, 2017.

1. MichaelP Win User

Windows 7 Backup schedule fails after upgrade to Windows 10 v1710

I have successfuly used the Windows 7 backup in Windows 10 v1703 (Maintenance) to run automatically each Monday at 6 a.m. After upgrade to v1710 on 17Oct17 this no longer runs automatically. Instead it waits for me to log in and then starts. Similarly for Automatic Maintenance. Whilst this is not a killer problem, it could become inconvenient.
    • Has anybody else eperienced this / found a solution?
    • I'm tempted to wait for Microsoft to fix this but I am somewhat concerned because I understand that the Windows 7 Backup feature has been "deprecated" in v1710. Has anybody andy ideas which way this is going to go?
    Thank you.
    Michael

:)

MichaelP, Oct 29, 2017
  2. Gizmoprof Win User

Will Windows 7 scheduled backups be "ported" to Windows 10 when I upgrade?

I have Windows 7 performing scheduled backups. When I "upgrade" to Windows 10, will those schedules be preserved and run as scheduled, in Windows 10?

Gizmoprof, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Gizmoprof Win User
    Will Windows 7 scheduled backups be "ported" to Windows 10 when I upgrade?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have Windows 7. I have a data backup scheduled to backup changes to selected folders. This backup occurs once a day. I also have it scheduled such that an image backup is included in each daily backup.

Will both backups occur as scheduled, if I "upgrade" to Windows 10? (Or will I have to "manually" run image backups?)

Gizmoprof, Oct 29, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Hi MichaelP and welcome to Tenforums.

Yes, it appears that the backup function will be deprecated, and MS advise using a 3rd-party tool.
    Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums

Many of this forum's members use Macrium Reflect (they have a free and a paid version). You can see the tutorial here:
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

It's a great program; very reliable and easy to use. I'd switch very soon if I were you. *Wink HTH.

simrick, Oct 29, 2017
  5. MichaelP Win User
    Hi simrick,
    Thank you for your reply. I used Macrium Reflect - full version 5.2 - on my Windows XP computer. When I got my Windows 7 laptop (currently still on Windows 10 v1703) I saw little point in getting another Reflect licence. Well, now it looks like it's just a question of time before I have to do something; the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (currently on Windows 10 v1710) is the one that started to give me grief. Microsoft, despite being an American company, doesn't seem to believe in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Or is something better coming our way?
    And then there's File History. I know there's file and folder backup in Reflect but I rather like Windows 10 File History. One reason is that when my laptop is not connected to the external hard drive, Windows will store backups at intervals defined by me on the local hard drive and copy them to the external hard drive when possible / necessary using its own scheduling algorithm or on my command. This may be cumbersome to replicate in Reflect.
    Once a week I run a scheduled task (I know this can be done in Reflect) to create a system image on the external hard drive which also contains the File History. The thing is this: the external hard drive is encrypted with BitLocker To Go and I have not yet figured out how Reflect handles this.
    I'm working through the Reflect user guide - 400 pages of it - to get some answers and to see how it's integrated with Windows 10, e.g. notifications in the Action Centre.

MichaelP, Oct 30, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Sorry, I don't use Bitlocker To Go, so can't help you there. But, if you come across some questions you'd like answered, feel free to post in the tutorial thread. If someone has personal experience with your subject, they will answer there. Cheers.

simrick, Oct 31, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Reflect 5.2 is years old. Free version is on 7.1 and handles bitlocker.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 Backup schedule fails after upgrade to Windows 10 v1710 - Similar Threads - Backup schedule fails

2. Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 fails: Hi, I have a few Dem M4800 laptops running Windows 7 that I need to upgrade to Windows 10. I have tried upgrades and fresh installs but it always fails. The failure point extracted from: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log is: 2020-05-04 10:15:26, Info...
  3. Upgrade backup 7 to Windows 10

Upgrade backup 7 to Windows 10: I am running Windows 10 but backup Windows 7. How do I upgrade backup to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-backup-7-to-windows-10/45ccade0-f40c-4d6d-933c-1231f9486bc6
  4. Backup scheduling in Windows 10

Backup scheduling in Windows 10: I recently purchased a Seagate 4TB external hard drive and would like to schedule it to backup files from my Windows 10 PC. However, the only option I see is with Windows 10 File History which does not provide scheduling other than several hours or daily. I used to use...
  5. Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade failing

Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade failing: Windows 10 Pro Installation failing on Windows 7 pro laptops and desktops. Error in log file from immediately before process ends: 2019-09-10 11:14:17, Error MOUPG CSetupManager::Execute(284): Result = 0x80070522 2019-09-10 11:14:17, Error...
  6. Backup and restore (windows 7) in windows 10 not starting on its preset schedule

Backup and restore (windows 7) in windows 10 not starting on its preset schedule: I have backup and restore (windows 7) scheduled to start at 12:00am every Sunday so that it will run overnight. I have used this for years. I would log off the computer and in the past would have no problems. The last few months, the backup does not start until I log on...
  7. Windows 10 Backup and restore (Windows 7) Fails

Windows 10 Backup and restore (Windows 7) Fails: Windows 10 backup fails with VSS Error. I get the following from Event viewer Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An invalid XML document was returned from writer {a4d99bdb-ce5e-4166-b2f4-dad3b09d3443}. Operation: Writer Modifying Modifying Backup Document Context:...
  8. Windows 7 to 10 upgrade Fail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 7 to 10 upgrade Fail: Wnidows 7 had been having BSOD. So thought maybe upgrade to 10 would fix it. But the upgrade has failed. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033 Additional information about the problem: BCCode: a BCP1:...
  9. Windows 7 upgrade to windows 10 fail .

Windows 7 upgrade to windows 10 fail .: Hello All : A lady brought me a computer a ( Dell inspiron n 5110 ) , I think she stopped the install , before it was finished , See the attached picture [img] continue restarts the computer , can't restore ? ideas 25018
  10. Windows 7 failed upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 failed upgrade: Windows 7 Home Premium edition SP1.Patch KB3035583 installed. I receive several times a day upgrade to Windows 10 Home and every time it's failed. I deleted everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder but can't run the command prompt as an administrator.I...