Windows 10: Windows 7 COA OEM vs normal OEM and Win 10 activation?

Discus and support Windows 7 COA OEM vs normal OEM and Win 10 activation? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi What is the difference between OEMSLP and OEM COA SLP versions? And can COA OEM keys be used to activate a fresh install of Win 10 (1511 or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EightK, Aug 7, 2016.

1. EightK Win User

Windows 7 COA OEM vs normal OEM and Win 10 activation?

Hi

What is the difference between OEMSLP and OEM COA SLP versions?

And can COA OEM keys be used to activate a fresh install of Win 10 (1511 or 1607)? Are MS activation servers still activating clean installs in Win 10 with Win 7 / 8 keys?

Thanks

:)

EightK, Aug 7, 2016

2. Is Windows 10 the worst Oparating System Ever

Then please explain all my MB replacements in OEM Cases

and then using the OEM COA with OEM System Builder Edge to Edge Hologram Media ! XP to win 7

My PC building and repairing goes back to DOS + Win 3.10

When Activation came around, it was common knowledge in the Repair shops that the OEM Supplied COA worked with OEM System Builder Media on any hardware

and then that leaked out to the general public and they began borrowing or sharing a single install media and pinching the COAs from display PCs at big box stores

or they would go "purchase" a PC with no intention of keeping it

pinch the COA and return it the next day

which is one reason why they nuked the X08 COAs with the change of the Product Code algorithm on the XP Service Pack integrated Media

and further reason for the change to BIOS/UEFI embedded COA with win 8 and up

The OEM Affixed COA is unused until it's first activation on whatever hardware it finds itself activated on

once activated that is the MB the COA dies with, not the OEM hardware it was stuck to

There are thousands of unused COAs out there in recycle dumps because the user, used the OEM SLP install until the hardware died

or in the case of VLK usage in Pro -> Enterprise upgrades

same thing, thousands of unused Pro COAs from XP to win 7

IT used the VLK with either individual installs or "corporate" image based install,

and the OEM Affixed COA was never used

With the Advent of the ISO distribution beginning in Vista, you don't even need to be in possession of the Edge to Edge Hologram media anymore

I know of repair guys who buy junk PCs from the local recycle just to get the COAs from the cases.

it's not misinformation in the slightest

the OEM COAs are unused until actually entered during an installation

there is absolutely no way for MS to detect that the previously unused COA isn't being used to install on the hardware it's stuck to

this is why the Product Recovery page refuses win 7 OEM Mfg. Supplied COA Keys

only Retail FPP and Upgrade Keys work on the Product Recovery page

because Retail and Upgrade are the only transferable SKUs

Locutus deBorg, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Windows 10 and 7 Pro OEM activation

As far as I know, we use OEM Windows for all our custom PC builds. How can I tell for sure? On the COA it reads "Windows 10 Pro For OEM software" Hopefully this allows for downgrading to Win 7 pro

DavidKent1, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Windows 7 COA OEM vs normal OEM and Win 10 activation?

OEM-SLP installs use a common Manufacturer specific key. Example, every Dell with Windows 7 Home Premium will have the same Dell 7 Home Premium key. Those PC's do not activate online, they activate against a SLIC table in the BIOS. OEM-SLP keys are blacklisted on the Microsoft activation servers. If you try to activate Windows 10 by entering one of those keys manually on a clean install it will be rejected. They are only accepted if you do an upgrade from the installed OS using it.
    OEM-SLP keys only work if the BIOS has a SLIC table and you have the matching custom OEM install media. With stock install media you use the OEM-COA key on the COA sticker.

OEM-COA keys are found on OEM PC's as a backup for use with stock install media. They are unique keys. Any time I have used one I have had to do a phone activation the first time I tried to activate with one. You will also find OEM-COA keys on the COA sticker if you buy say an OEM system builder edition. If your a small shop that doesn't mass produce PC's you can use those and resell them. The public can buy them too. I have an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium edition here. I did a test install last week and successfully upgraded to 10 Home and activated. I think it was after the 3rd of Aug. It was defiantly definitely after the 29th of July.

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    I trust that is an autocorrect error, but I do like the concept! *Biggrin

cereberus, Aug 9, 2016
  6. xbliss Win User
    That was a crisp and clear explanation - The likes of which deserve to be in a Wiki/ Faq. Thanks.

xbliss, Aug 10, 2016
  7. EightK Win User
    Agreed with xbliss.

Thanks alphanumeric.

I had a COA key which had to be phone activated. I also tried using it on a clean Win 10 installation - it accepted the key and automatically installed the pro version, but it did not activate. This was on 1511.

Is it because I activated Win 7 earlier?

EightK, Aug 11, 2016
  8. Windows 7 COA OEM vs normal OEM and Win 10 activation?

Legally, you can't run Windows 7 and Windows 10 on that same Product Code concurrently. You either run Windows 7 with it or Windows 10 with it, not both.
    If the PC you installed Windows 10 on, has never had Windows 10 activated on it, it won't have a pre existing Digital License. Activation is based on that key. It still should have worked, even if Windows 7 was installed with it. It may be that Microsoft has actually shut down the free upgrade and stopped issuing new licenses for Windows 7 and 8 keys. The free upgrade offer is officially over. They just delayed shutting down the activation side of it. On the screen where it shows as not activated, look for links to more info in blue text. There way also be an error code you can Google.

alphanumeric, Aug 11, 2016
  9. EightK Win User
    I did not have the activated Win 7 system active online when I tried the clean 10 install.

I actually imaged the win 7 installation and installed 10 over it using the same key. Maybe it was too soon?

EightK, Aug 11, 2016
  10. Should have worked then? Does it say why it didn't activate? Any error code etc? A screen shot of the Settings > Update & security > Activation screen might help.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 7 COA OEM vs normal OEM and Win 10 activation?

1. Windows 7 COA OEM vs normal OEM and Win 10 activation? - Similar Threads - COA OEM normal

2. Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key: Hello everyone,I am trying to upgrade a PC from windows 7 Pro OEM_DM to windows 10 Pro.I did so by unpacking the ISO and running the Setup.exeit ran the upgrade and everything looked good, then i saw there was no license added.I did copy my Windows 7 Pro key and tries to use...
  3. Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key: Hello everyone,I am trying to upgrade a PC from windows 7 Pro OEM_DM to windows 10 Pro.I did so by unpacking the ISO and running the Setup.exeit ran the upgrade and everything looked good, then i saw there was no license added.I did copy my Windows 7 Pro key and tries to use...
  4. win 10 pro oem vs win pro fpp

win 10 pro oem vs win pro fpp: Hi, i have hp laptop with pre installed win 10 home, i want to upgrade it into win 10 pro, could it be possible if i buy win 10 pro OEM ? or i should buy win 10 pro FPP Or both can work. thank you...
  5. OEM Windows 7 to Windows 10 digital activation

OEM Windows 7 to Windows 10 digital activation: Dear Community, I have a Lenovo computer with a OEM Windows 7. I recently formatted the hard drive and install WINDOWS 10. The OEM activation key automatically validate the newly installed version. Can someone tell me if this is a valid method to upgrade? Thanks for your...
  6. Activation vs. OEM key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation vs. OEM key: I am intending to purchase a new Windows 10 key, since I purchased a new motherboard that was apart of a custom build. What is the exact difference between these two? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-vs-oem-key/83e32b8f-37cb-4704-9588-06f17650c81a
  7. OEM VS retail

OEM VS retail: 1- what the good key for laptop DELL OEM VS Retail key ? And what is the difference between them ? 2 - Which of these two sites better buy genuine Windows version at an acceptable price and there are other sites better than them : A-...
  8. Windows 10 oem vs retail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 oem vs retail: What is the difference between oem and retail version of windows 10. Is ti true that oem version can only install once and retail version can install as many times as needed ? 132851
  9. Windows 10 oem vs retail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 oem vs retail: What is the difference between oem and retail version of windows 10. Is ti true that oem version can only install once and retail version can install as many times as needed ? 132851
  10. Activating Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Pro OEM COA?

Activating Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Pro OEM COA?: Greetings. I have a question regarding Windows 10 activation. I have a system with a Windows 7 Pro COA, but I want to install Windows 10 via a clean install (the system is blank anyway) Can I use the key on the COA to activate Windows 10 Pro? Just wondering as the...