Windows 10: Windows 7 failed download of W10

Discus and support Windows 7 failed download of W10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I preregistered a copy of W10 for my computer with the little window on the taskbar, which is still there. On the 29th I started the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by glennc, Aug 1, 2015.

1. glennc Win User

Windows 7 failed download of W10

Hello,
    I preregistered a copy of W10 for my computer with the little window on the taskbar, which is still there. On the 29th I started the computer and I did an update to W7 and I noticed that my shutdown was highlighted. It did not download the installation when I rebooted. The Windows Update no longer shows that W10 will be available. The little taskbar icon shows Get Update, check status but either option pops up a please wait window that sits there for hours.
    Is this familiar to anyone, help!

:)

glennc, Aug 1, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade

I received a message that my PC was compatible for W10, but my upgrades fail everytime they try to download W10, from 7/29 - 8/6. Why won't it upgrade?

Little sis 887, Aug 1, 2015
  3. The GWX icon disappeared from the task bar

The GWX icon back in taskbar however Microsoft has attempted to download windows 10 and each time it failed. I have a Dell Inspiron 1564 with windows 7 ultimate. Is my pc incompatible? according to GWX it is but W10 update not working. Other updates are
    loading with no problem.

RalphCabrera, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Temendor Win User

This can happen. Download the tool to install windows 10 here: Windows 10 (Official site). Remember to choose the right bit version 32/64 bit tool.

Once you have downloaded the tool you can do one of these tree options that the tool gives you:

1. install it to this computer (Try this first if it does not work try the others)
    2. install it to a USB/DVD straight from the program (This tool is useful if you don't want to install additional programs, but I have had my share of problems w/ this one)
    3. This is the classic option. Download the ISO file to your desktop for example and use a tool like ImageBurn to install the window 10 to a disc or download rufus for example and install ite straight to an USB stick (atleast 4gb of free space/ uses 3gb I think. Also the option I used)

Hopefully this helps,

Temendor, Aug 1, 2015
  5. glennc Win User
    Hello Temendor,
    Thank you for your time and information. I am confused about this whole upgrade situation. My Windows 8.1 Pro test machine had downloaded the updates automatically. When I went to install for testing on that computer, it failed. I went with the MediaCreator update. Seemed to update properly with that.
    My issue more specifically is that I do not wish to install W10 on this Windows 7 machine, just get the registered update for future use. Will the DVD I made with the W8.1 MediaCreation tool work on the Windows 7 machine? I really can't test it............ so I was hoping the automatic update would take on the W7 machine and just pop up in the Update center for installation, whenever!
    Thanks again

glennc, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Temendor Win User
    You can actually download the tool whenever you want to install the windows. The update is free for you for a year after the consumer release. If you have "ordered" the Windows 10 in your windows 8.1 it should become an account bound thing* (you've clicked the little windows button in the taskbar. If not no worries the tool will recognize an genuine windows 7/8 key). When you will try to install the windows 10 the tool(I gave the link to) should recognize that your going to update your current version. Something to keep in mind, you don't need/have to format your computer when you are going to update to windows 10.

*it converts the current key to a windows 10 one.
    Hopefully this helped and cleared up some things,

Temendor, Aug 1, 2015
  7. glennc Win User
    Hello again and Great. Thank you for the informed confirmation!!!!!! I tried the wuauclt.exe in the interim and it did nothing.
    Regards,

glennc, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Borg 386 Win User

Borg 386, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    There are three methods:

Windows Update - a lot of failures reported
    or
    Windows 10 Create Media Tool > Windows 10
    or
    Windows 10 ISO Download > Tech Bench

Kyhi, Aug 1, 2015
  10. glennc Win User
    Hello Borg386.
    It helped move myself along, thank you. Subsequent self imposed mistakes have left me with an ISO for W10 Pro and a failed installation that I am trying to delete the leftovers, mentioned in another thread.
    Your help and time is appreciated!

glennc, Aug 3, 2015
  11. glennc Win User
    Hello Kyhi,
    Thanks and I've tried them all. As mentioned in the above response to Borg 386, I'm stuck with a failed install and files. I've created a new thread for any assistance!
    Thanks again,

glennc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 failed download of W10 - Similar Threads - failed download W10

2. Download Window 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download Window 7: Pls Help Me I Want To Download Window 7 Free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-window-7/98c171a5-76b0-4f47-9ee9-4ea109449d48
  3. Download Window 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download Window 7: Pls Help Me I Want To Download Window 7 Free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-window-7/98c171a5-76b0-4f47-9ee9-4ea109449d48
  4. Download Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Download Windows 7: I am using Windows 10, but there is a program that will only run on Windows 7. How do uninstall Windows 10, install Windows 7, then uninstall Windows 7 and finally, reinstall Windows 10? Thanks...
  5. Failed W10 Install

Failed W10 Install: Ok ... purchased the W10 Home from the Microsoft Store yesterday Nov 3 2020 to update my W7 machine. Received the email with the key and the install link. When I purchased on the phone and asked about whether a 64bit install was included and was told that I would be...
  6. Windows 7 backup&restore on W10

Windows 7 backup&restore on W10: The backup&restore program is looking for a file that does not exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backuprestore-on-w10/a913b9b8-3e1b-42d6-804e-b0fb8ff43bc0
  7. w10 update fail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    w10 update fail: the spec are Direkt-Ten slim laptop DTLAPC-14-1, Intel Atom , The laptop has 4GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage Would doing system recovery help or adding the SD card help, With the SD card should it be formatted to Fat 32 or NTFS will window see it as part of C Drive
  8. w10 beta failed

w10 beta failed: Hi, I downloaded w10 (Build 10130 ??)doubled clicked "...Windows10_InsiderPreview_x64_EN-GB_10130...." & updated my w8.1 spare HD to w10. Worked OK & liked it that afternoon but, next morning would not boot up so after 2-3 hrs I use my flash stick & got w8.1 back. I...
  9. W10 Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Fail: I was hoping for a "reduction" with the bells and whistles when I installed W10 yesterday. It saddens me that Microsoft did not listen to people about the traditional Start Menu--or at least, give the PC user the ability to change the Start Menu to look and behave exactly...
  10. Failed W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed W10: Currently using desktop. Yesterday I downloaded W10 on my notebook (it had been in order for me to do so). After many hours, and updating, I thought I'd have W10 working, but amongst the updates I saw W10 cancelled, or failed. No idea why. I can't find any evidence of W10...