Windows 10: Windows 7 key after upgrade

Discus and support Windows 7 key after upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; HI, searching around with no luck. If I upgrade to 10 with my legal copy of win 7 can I then turn around and install my copy of win 7 on my second pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Armand, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Armand Win User

Windows 7 key after upgrade

HI, searching around with no luck. If I upgrade to 10 with my legal copy of win 7 can I then turn around and install my copy of win 7 on my second pc legally.

:)

Armand, Feb 20, 2016

2. product key

What the product key after upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10is change?

I already upgrade and see if my product key on windows 10 is different with my product key on my windows 7

Mokh. Rifan Ardiansyah, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Need Windows 10 activation key

Did you legally upgrade the laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

If you did and the Windows 7 license was activated, then the product key should be present when you performed the upgrade to Windows 10.

You can use Show Key Plus to find the original Windows 7 key:

How to Find Your Product Key After Upgrading to Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Feb 20, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

No. Your Win 7 key is still tied to the original computer.
    I am not saying it cannot be done. I am just saying it is not "legal".

davidhk, Feb 20, 2016
  5. Armand Win User
    Thank you davidhk for the quick reply, I suspected that might be the case just for OEM copies. Was hoping a store purchased copy was different. Thank you again

Armand, Feb 20, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    There is a difference. You can install 7 on a new pc if retail but you are legally obliged to remove Windows 10 from old pc. You can then reupgrade to 10 on new pc.

However as Davidhk says, you still only have one licence ie you cannot legally upgrade to 10 on one pc and reinstall 7 on another.

cereberus, Feb 20, 2016
  7. Armand Win User
    Understood, thank you so much again for the replies.

Armand, Feb 20, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Remember this rule.................. one key, one install.
    (There is an exception where a Win 7 Family Pack allows installation to several computers with the same key. )

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 key after upgrade - Similar Threads - key upgrade

2. Is a Windows 10 Pro Key not Eligible on a Force-Upgraded Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is a Windows 10 Pro Key not Eligible on a Force-Upgraded Windows 11?: Hi there, long story short: My PC Force-Upgraded to Windows 11. I had Windows 10 Home pre-built, I bought a Windows 10 Pro Key, which was working fine, but then one day my PC loaded up and force-upgraded to Windows 11 without my consent, and because of the pre-built Windows...
  3. Is a Windows 10 Pro Key not Eligible on a Force-Upgraded Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is a Windows 10 Pro Key not Eligible on a Force-Upgraded Windows 11?: Hi there, long story short: My PC Force-Upgraded to Windows 11. I had Windows 10 Home pre-built, I bought a Windows 10 Pro Key, which was working fine, but then one day my PC loaded up and force-upgraded to Windows 11 without my consent, and because of the pre-built Windows...
  4. Transfer Win 11 Pro key after upgrading from Home OEM; and keep Home OEM on old computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Win 11 Pro key after upgrading from Home OEM; and keep Home OEM on old computer: My old computer had Win 11 Home OEM. I upgraded it to Win 11 Pro.Is it possible to transfer the 11 Pro key from the old computer to a new computer. Then, keep running Home OEM on old computer?Thanks!...
  5. Transfer Win 11 Pro key after upgrading from Home OEM; and keep Home OEM on old computer

Transfer Win 11 Pro key after upgrading from Home OEM; and keep Home OEM on old computer: My old computer had Win 11 Home OEM. I upgraded it to Win 11 Pro.Is it possible to transfer the 11 Pro key from the old computer to a new computer. Then, keep running Home OEM on old computer?Thanks!...
  6. Invalid Win11 Pro upgrade key - how to undo?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid Win11 Pro upgrade key - how to undo?: Well, it looks like I got scammed.I purchased a key to upgrade my Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro. When I tried to change the product key through the "Change Product Key" dialog under Control Panel's Activation dialog, I got an error code 0x80070490.I called Microsoft, and...
  7. Invalid Win11 Pro upgrade key - how to undo?

Invalid Win11 Pro upgrade key - how to undo?: Well, it looks like I got scammed.I purchased a key to upgrade my Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro. When I tried to change the product key through the "Change Product Key" dialog under Control Panel's Activation dialog, I got an error code 0x80070490.I called Microsoft, and...
  8. why cant i install or find the product key for my pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    why cant i install or find the product key for my pro upgrade: when i go to my order confirmation and click to install the upgrade to pro it says there is an error the page i requested is not there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-install-or-find-the-product-key-for-my/e385cfee-a06b-40f8-afdf-995f515ebbd9
  9. lost windows Free upgrade key from Vista via 7 to windows 10 when HDD replaced.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    lost windows Free upgrade key from Vista via 7 to windows 10 when HDD replaced.: Hi,I have an older dell, still an OK PC. I lost windows Free upgrade key from Vista via 7 to windows 10 when I had to replace the hard drive, is there a way of getting a new key free or do i have to buy a Key?...
  10. lost windows Free upgrade key from Vista via 7 to windows 10 when HDD replaced.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost windows Free upgrade key from Vista via 7 to windows 10 when HDD replaced.: Hi,I have an older dell, still an OK PC. I lost windows Free upgrade key from Vista via 7 to windows 10 when I had to replace the hard drive, is there a way of getting a new key free or do i have to buy a Key?...