Windows 10: Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home without a password

Discus and support Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home without a password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As stated in the subject line I can't connect my Windows 7 Pro system to a Windows 10 Home system via the network without a password being required.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mvaugeri, Feb 4, 2016.

1. mvaugeri Win User

Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home without a password

As stated in the subject line I can't connect my Windows 7 Pro system to a Windows 10 Home system via the network without a password being required. Strangely, I can connect from the Windows 7 Pro system to two other Windows 7 Home Premium systems on the same network without a password being required. Also, all these systems (including the Windows 10 Home system) can connect to the Windows 7 Pro system without any password being required. Does any one have any suggestions on how I can eliminate the requirement for a password to access the Windows 10 Home system from the Windows 7 Pro system? The Windows 10 Home system version number is 1511, build 10586.0.

:)

mvaugeri, Feb 4, 2016

2. Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home network without a password required

As stated in the subject line I can't connect my Windows 7 Pro system to a Windows 10 Home system via the network without a password required. Strangely, I can connect from the Windows 7 Pro system to two other Windows 7 Home Premium systems on the same
    network without a password being required. Also, all these systems can connect to the Windows 7 Pro system without any password required. Does any one have any suggestions on how I can eliminate the requirement for a password to access the Windows 10 Home
    system from the Windows 7 Pro system? The Windows 10 Home system version number is 1511, build 10586.0.

Mike Augeri, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home network without a password required

A further clarification of the problem.

All these systems have password protected file sharing turned off in the network configurations. All belong to the same workgroup. There are four systems:

2 Windows 7 Home Premium systems

1 Windows 7 Professional system

1 Windows 10 Home system

All these systems can access each others shared files over the network without a password being required, EXCEPT when the Windows 7 Pro system tries to access the Windows 10 Home system - then a password prompt pops up on the Windows 7 Pro system. And don't
    forget that the same Windows 7 Pro system can access the other two Windows 7 Home systems without the password prompt. It seems that the problem is the Windows 10 system configuration, EXCEPT that the other two Windows 7 Home systems don't have any problem
    accessing the Windows 10 system. It seems to me that the problem is unique to the Windows 10 Home-Windows 7 Pro connection. What do you think?

Mike Augeri, Feb 4, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Try:

Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home without a password [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2016
  5. mvaugeri Win User
    Come on now, I said that all systems could access each other without requiring a password, EXCEPT the Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home system. Don't you think that "Turn off password protected sharing" has already been checked?

mvaugeri, Feb 5, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Sorry. Apparently you know a lot more than I thought so I bail out.

topgundcp, Feb 5, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Agreed - I had a couple of suggestions but reading the sarcastic reply, I would have probably been less polite in my response.

cereberus, Feb 5, 2016
  8. mvaugeri Win User

I'm sorry if I sounded sarcastic, but I don't understand how you could think all these systems could access each others shared files without password protection being turned off. There are four systems:

2 Windows 7 Home Premium systems
    1 Windows 7 Professional system
    1 Windows 10 Home system

All these systems can access each others shared files over the network without a password being required, EXCEPT when the Windows 7 Pro system tries to access the Windows 10 Home system - then a password prompt pops up on the Windows 7 Pro system. And don't forget that the same Windows 7 Pro system can access the other two Windows 7 Home systems without the password prompt. It seems that the problem is the Windows 10 system configuration, EXCEPT that the other two Windows 7 Home systems don't have any problem accessing the Windows 10 system. It seems to me that the problem is unique to the Windows 10 Home-Windows 7 Pro connection. What do you think?

mvaugeri, Feb 5, 2016
  9. Railtech Win User
    I had the same issue with a Win 7 Ultimate machine. I fixed it by adding the logon credentials for the Win 10 machine in Windows Credentials Manager in the Win 7 Ultimate machine. Like you password authentication sharing was turned off on all machines but the issue still remained.

All I could think of is that both the Win 10 and the Win 7 machines were acting as servers instead of a single server multiple client type common networked workgroup.

Railtech, Feb 6, 2016
  10. mvaugeri Win User
    Fortunately, Windows 7 Professional allows you to save your login credentials so I no longer have to provide a username/password to access the files on the Windows 10 system. Thanks for the tip.

mvaugeri, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home without a password - Similar Threads - Pro can't connect

2. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home: I am having trouble installing Windows 10 Home upgrading from Windows 7 Pro. Wondering if I purchased the wrong product. Can I exchange it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-home/4f4281ba-c29e-43c1-bf5e-0e778b16351d
  3. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home: I am having trouble installing Windows 10 Home upgrading from Windows 7 Pro. Wondering if I purchased the wrong product. Can I exchange it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-home/4f4281ba-c29e-43c1-bf5e-0e778b16351d
  4. From Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    From Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Hi. I bought Windows 10 Pro license. I followed instructions to Upgrade. In the list of options I do not see Win10 Pro, but I see Win10 Home. Should I 1st get Home and then upgrade to Pro? Will my new license work for Home, so I can upgrade later to Pro? How do I get the full...
  5. Can't install Windows 10 Home without it automatically upgrading itself to Pro and then...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't install Windows 10 Home without it automatically upgrading itself to Pro and then...: I tried reinstalling Windows 10 Home but every time I did it it just said it was installing Pro every time and I can't see a way to change it. Any ideas?...
  6. upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro on windows 10 Home pc ?

upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro on windows 10 Home pc ?: Win7 to win10 upgrades are still free right now. if you buy a laptop that comes with w10home with an embedded key uefi then you reformat and transfer a win7pro license/install, upgrade to win10pro for free will win10pro get activated? or will it try to read the embedded...
  7. windows 10 home can't see windows 7 computer, but windows 10 Pro can

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 home can't see windows 7 computer, but windows 10 Pro can: I recently added a Windows 7 computer to my home network running Windows 7 Pro. My Windows 10 Pro computer can see and access files on the new computer, but my Windows 10 Home computer can not. The new computer shows up in the network, but when I click on it I receive a...
  8. Windows 7 pro became Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 pro became Windows 10 Home: I just became aware that The upgrade of my windows 7 pro to windows 10 home was not the expected transition. This happened during the massive transition. Is it too late? Was this planned? Do I just accept this?...
  9. Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro: Hey, I got a new PC with Windows 10 Home. I already have retail versions of both Windows 7 and 8 Pro, so I clean installed 7 Pro over 10 Home (wiping existing partitions in the process), then did an upgrade to 10 (using the media creation tool) expecting to get Pro, but I...
  10. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home: Hi guys, Bit of a strange one this. I had Windows 7 Pro installed previously (still have the disk, key, and CoA), I upgraded to Pro a few days ago and only got windows 10 Home edition. Has anybody encountered this or would have an idea as to how to fix? Thanks for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. connecting to a windows 7 without password