Windows 10: Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, Bit of a strange one this. I had Windows 7 Pro installed previously (still have the disk, key, and CoA), I upgraded to Pro a few days ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by teapot, Aug 12, 2015.

1. teapot Win User

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

Hi guys,

Bit of a strange one this. I had Windows 7 Pro installed previously (still have the disk, key, and CoA), I upgraded to Pro a few days ago and only got windows 10 Home edition. Has anybody encountered this or would have an idea as to how to fix?

Thanks for reading.

:)

teapot, Aug 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgrade?

Once upgraded to Windows 10 Home there is absolutely no benefit over Windows 7 Home Premium over Windows 7 Starter. Microsoft have decided to simplify the number of Editions for Windows 10 due to the many complains they got with the many different editions
    of Windows 8.1 and not clearly distinguishing them.

Windows 7 Starter → Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Starter N → Windows 10 Home

[*]Windows 7 Home Basic → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 7 Home Premium → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 7 Home Premium N → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1N → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 Single Language → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 with Bing → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 Single Language with Bing → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 7 Professional → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 7 Professional N → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 7 Ultimate → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 7 Ultimate N → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro N → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro (Student) → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre → Windows 10 Pro

Note if that is a full license (non-OEM license) you can transfer it and revert your machine back to Windows 7 Starter allowing you to upgrade two PCs to Windows 10.

Philip Yip, Aug 12, 2015
  3. How to upgrade free Windows 10 to Professional after participating in Windows 10 Technical Preview

Upgrade editions

We’ll keep you on like-to-like editions of Windows. For instance, if you are using Windows 7 Home Premium, you’ll upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Windows 7

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows 7 Starter
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows Phone 8.12

Windows 10 Mobile

Windows 8.11

Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro for Students

hawkeyes46, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

You don't say how you initiated the upgrade...

You installed the wrong edition of Windows 10.
    It's not possible to have Windows 10 Home if you really did install Windows 10 Pro.
    Roll back to Windows 7 and do the upgrade again with the right version of Windows 10.

The only other way you could have gotten Windows 10 Home installed on your computer is if you were actually running Windows 7 Home originally, and did the upgrade from your update settings in Windows 7.

teachermark, Aug 12, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    By what method did you do the upgrade to Windows 10? Like teachermark posted, sounds like you did the upgrade from a ISO that you downloaded, which was the wrong ISO. And, like he said, will have to go back to Windows 7 and upgrade to the correct version.

NavyLCDR, Aug 12, 2015
  6. teapot Win User
    Apologies, I upgraded via Windows Update. And Windows 7 Pro was 100% what I had installed before. I'll just have to do a clean install.

teapot, Aug 12, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have to upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro first. The Windows 7 Pro has to be activated before you start, and the Windows 10 has to be activated after the upgrade before you can do a clean install. And it all has to be either Home or all has to be Pro, you can't cross those lines and stay activated.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home

1. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Pro Home

2. Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490: Hi,I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Windows 11 Home edition preinstalled on it. After activating the Windows and installing all the available updates, I purchased a Windows 11 Pro licence through Microsoft Store, but the upgrade failed with Error Code 0x80070490.I...
  3. Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490: Hi,I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Windows 11 Home edition preinstalled on it. After activating the Windows and installing all the available updates, I purchased a Windows 11 Pro licence through Microsoft Store, but the upgrade failed with Error Code 0x80070490.I...
  4. Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed: None of the steps that I've followed in the community have worked. Is there a Microsoft licensing I can call to get help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-11-home-to-pro-failed/a18a1f09-9591-4492-81ec-e6ad9df968e5
  5. Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed

Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed: None of the steps that I've followed in the community have worked. Is there a Microsoft licensing I can call to get help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-11-home-to-pro-failed/a18a1f09-9591-4492-81ec-e6ad9df968e5
  6. While Trying to upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Window 11 Pro . Unable to upgrade your...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While Trying to upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Window 11 Pro . Unable to upgrade your...: I am facing a problem when Trying to upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro. Getting an Error: "Unable to upgrade your edition of Windows. Try upgrading your edition of Windows again, 0x80010105 "...
  7. While Trying to upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Window 11 Pro . Unable to upgrade your...

While Trying to upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Window 11 Pro . Unable to upgrade your...: I am facing a problem when Trying to upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro. Getting an Error: "Unable to upgrade your edition of Windows. Try upgrading your edition of Windows again, 0x80010105 "...
  8. I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to windows 11 pro and i got charged three...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to windows 11 pro and i got charged three...: When I was trying to purchase the window would load then disappear which might have been a bug or something. It never told me my purchase went through at all....
  9. I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to windows 11 pro and i got charged three...

I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to windows 11 pro and i got charged three...: When I was trying to purchase the window would load then disappear which might have been a bug or something. It never told me my purchase went through at all....
  10. Jak zmienić windows 11 pro na home?

Jak zmienić windows 11 pro na home?: Mam windows 11 pro ale myślę o zrobieniu nowego komputera. Kupiłem licencję windows 11 home. Obie w wersji retail.I teraz takie pytanie: czy mogę przenieść licencję z tego komputera na nowy żeby mieć windows 11 pro a na tym komputerze zmienić system na windows 11 home i...