Windows 10: Windows 7 should be Windows 11

Discus and support Windows 7 should be Windows 11 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The only other option would be to drill down through C and find Users..... A far better option, imho, is to simply create your own folder where you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mousegolf, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Rickkins Win User

Windows 7 should be Windows 11

A far better option, imho, is to simply create your own folder where you want to save whatever.(not a fan of the c\users\bla bla\whatever. Can't imagine how anyone ever thaught that was in any way useful)((I know, you're shocked, right...*Wink))

Rickkins, Nov 23, 2014
  2. Rickkins Win User

In my opinion, the big problem is two-fold.

First, you have scores of coders on the payroll, each of whom has to continually justify their continued employment, so they dream up nonsensical changes to what was already a good system. We'll call that "change for change sake".

Then, you have ms who has to flog the altered product, both to pay said coders, and to make some more money. True, that is the way of the world... but that does not mean that each new "feature", and I use that word figuratively, is even a tiny improvement. Indeed, as often as not, it's a step backward. While most real improvements could be made under the hood, that wouldn't show, and they need something to "show".

Imho, of course...

Rickkins, Nov 23, 2014
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    Fortunately or unfortunately others like the idea of having a new more modern OS. There are real improvements being made in the new OS and not all of them are just fluff.

As for coders justifying their existence.. well. Being a coder/analyst for over 20 years I can tell you that myself and my colleagues did have to invent reasons to keep our jobs. There were always changes that needed to be made and new systems to be developed all of the time. Claiming that the "coders" are the ones driving the changes is far from the truth. We/they perform the tasks that the designers come up with, not the other way around.

BunnyJ, Nov 23, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

*Roflmao2
    Thanks for the best laughs in ages *Smile. Have not noticed any h in your opinions, at least not in this thread. Spilled coffee just now allover the keyboard due hysterical laugh attack.

5. Tony K Win User
    What gets me are OPs that state something off the wall statement such as

and always including an emotional statement like

to get members going usually with heated debate most times never to see the OP again. I liken them to be like fire starters that return to the scene never saying a word. I know they are looking in because of the "Thread Information" strip below.

Tony K, Nov 23, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    to get members going usually with heated debate most times never to see the OP again. I liken them to be like fire starters that return to the scene never saying a word. I know they are looking in because of the "Thread Information" strip below. I noticed that as well. Unfortunately that happens all to often in forums.
    We just have to avoid feeding into the drama.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 23, 2014
  7. A far better option, imho, is to simply create your own folder where you want to save whatever.(not a fan of the c\users\bla bla\whatever. Can't imagine how anyone ever thaught that was in any way useful)((I know, you're shocked, right...*Wink)) Well people use the default account all the time although not recommended because if the default account get corrupted a re-install is about the only way to fix it either that or hunting down mission is in order :/
    With the Users... it's all but making a new user account and transferring stuff and deleting the corrupted account,
    Usually takes allot less time to fix and fewer possible lost files,

But if one was inclined they could make their own user template and use it instead *Wink
    Kari made some nice tutorials on that operation,
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Nov 23, 2014
  8. Rickkins Win User

*Roflmao2
    Thanks for the best laughs in ages *Smile. Have not noticed any h in your opinions, at least not in this thread. Spilled coffee just now allover the keyboard due hysterical laugh attack. Holy jeebus. Pot, meet Kettle.

Bet ya don't see that, do ya...??

Rickkins, Nov 23, 2014
  9. We'll have to agree to disagree. *Smile

A user has to know:
    • That an option exists
    • How to access that option
    If they don't know either of those things (especially the first) they are going to struggle.

When I first got my own computer and I started to install software, I didn't know which install options were necessary for the program and which were crapware/malware.

As I'm sure you are aware, Windows help forums are full of people claiming that they didn't know they had to:
    • Install an AV (and use it)
    • Check for spyware
    • Make backups of their data
    • Download updates
    • Avoid installing every program they blunder across on the Internet
    • Avoid clicking on links in emails
    • etc.
    Most users apparently have no interest in even the most basic operational aspects of a PC.

The reason Windows help forums exist, is because MS has proven itself to be completely incapable of:
    • Explaining how Windows works (to ordinary users)
    • Providing useful help files
    As an example, the "Getting Started" video about Libraries (in W7) requires a user to install Silverlight. *Sad

lehnerus2000, Nov 24, 2014
  10. Kari Win User
    I will try to stop this debate over semantics, I just want to say this:

Ignorance is also a decision. Windows uses default save locations, it's up to user to decide which those locations are. Of course there has to be a Plan B in case the user has made the decision either to ignore finding out how to change those or is too lazy to care. In addition, to guarantee the functionality, Windows of course needs to have a set location to start with when it is installed, until it after first OOBE boot arrives at a point where the user can start using his / her right to decide.

Be it a known decision to use for instance the Documents folder as default save location in Documents library, or ignorance or laziness, it is always the decision made by user. A decision is something which can be reverted, changed; Windows cannot change the default locations by itself, it cannot make that decision. It's always the user, as said earlier through a known decision, ignorance or laziness.

A good example is when you create a new library, let's say you want a library for your PDF-files, create it naming it PDF. If Windows would be able to decide the default save location for this library it would create a folder or add an existing folder to that library and mark it as save location. However, as Windows is totally incapable to make this decision it can't do it, the library PDF does not contain any folders before the user makes the decision.

11. davehc Win User
    As is so often the case when reading these "I don't need it" posts, also in this case your post clearly shows that you have not the faintest idea of what Windows libraries are and how they work, that you simply do not understand them.

Of course I know that not everyone is capable to understand some even the most basic features of Windows. I will try to put this as simple as possible in order to try to get even you to understand: Windows Libraries do not decide where the files are saved, the user does. Libraries just collect the information and show everything in one place.

Kari With respect, I feel you are talking down to the poster in your post. The libraries are not exactly hi tech, and you certainly do not need a degree in computer technology to know how they work.
    The first thing I do, after an initial install, is turn off the libraries. I know exactly where I have my folders and information, and do not need duplicates popping up in my face, in yet another area.
    If you find them useful, then it is individual taste, and no comment required.

davehc, Nov 24, 2014
  12. Kari Win User
    Dave, your response reveals it once again: even experienced users have issues in using libraries due misunderstanding them, wrong way to handle them, taking them for something they are not. There are no duplicates, libraries do not create nor cause any duplicates. Absolutely not. Claiming that to be the case means the user has not understand or has misused them.

13. davehc Win User

Is it possible, with that comment, that you are, maybe , the one who is not understanding the libraries?
    I am referring to visual duplication. I am well aware that the libraries are virtual junction folders, and are being redirected. Whatever, in my Windows file manager folder, I see "Libraries". IN that folder are duplicates of what I already have in my user folders, carefully arranged and customised by me.

davehc, Nov 24, 2014
  14. Kari Win User
    Please let me just say this first: I remember similar discussions on Seven Forums when old school XP users were against almost everything in Seven, and on Eight Forums when the "where the hell is my Start Menu?" arguments were constant. And now here, the thing which I do not fully understand: If you are against some new features, even hate them, if you do not want something in Windows, it's OK to repeatedly speak against this, quite often "supported" with false invalid facts. Discussions go on, thread after thread, post after post. Until someone supports those new features and corrects some invalid facts.

If another member is "pro evolution", likes the new features, then the consensus seems to be what you said in your previous post:
    That being said, I am very sorry but regarding the libraries, speaking of duplicates is IMO totally wrong. Duplicate would mean there already exists the same file elsewhere on computer. This is really not the case. The screenshot below shows left my Pictures library and one image in it, right my user profile's Pictures folder where the file in fact is stored. Same file, not a duplicate, not even a shortcut:

Windows 7 should be Windows 11 [​IMG]

For me this is simple logics: I have not yet set up this W10TP laptop as I normally set up my computers, but when it's done I have hidden all drives and folders which I have included in any library, then I do not even see the folders but only their content in libraries. Even in the sense you are speaking about duplicates, I really do not see anything double.

What is not simple logics for me: A user does not like libraries, hides / removes them and tells all around the InterWebs how useless they are, how they just show duplicates for everything and how difficult it is to know where the file is, then uses the exact same system in his / her media player letting it to collect all music or movies or podcasts or whatnot around various folders, even machines into a single playlist. Windows Documents Library = The Great Evil, The #1 Enemy of Mankind <> WMP Playlist or Media Library = God's / Shiva's / Buddha's / Allah's Gift to Mankind.

My goal with these posts of mine is to correct the false information I see, I do not like the idea of some newbie deciding against an OS or feature or program even without trying it him / herself, blindly trusting some invalid information. I want to present an opposing opinion if I think it could correct misinformation and will never apologize that.

15. I am OK with people not liking Libraries. I am TOTALLY NOT OK with people demanding flushing libraries down the toilet. Besides, the libraries learned me to use and like the file explorer, I have been using Total Commander & co. for decades... My use for Libraries: E.g. a library called Skyrim includes folders for the game, mor Mod Organizer downloaded mods, for Documents/MyGames subfolder with inis, for downloads of utilities etc., each of them on a different partition of path...enough said.

EDIT: You can change your default save location in a library. You can remove unneeded library subfolders, including Users/... default ones. You can hide libraries from the left panel...

Olivir2014, Nov 24, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 7 should be Windows 11 - Similar Threads - should

2. I got black screen after startup my laptop. Normally it should be on the login screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got black screen after startup my laptop. Normally it should be on the login screen.: This happens today when I update Windows also in optional updates included some AMD and Realtek software. The pc's still running after startup BIOS runs fine I think but nothing shows, only black screen. Normally it should be on the login screen.I found that if I push the...
  3. I got black screen after startup my laptop. Normally it should be on the login screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I got black screen after startup my laptop. Normally it should be on the login screen.: This happens today when I update Windows also in optional updates included some AMD and Realtek software. The pc's still running after startup BIOS runs fine I think but nothing shows, only black screen. Normally it should be on the login screen.I found that if I push the...
  4. I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...: Settings issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-tableau-but-cant-open-to-work-with/121c4b99-5e38-405d-9e9b-dac5d738882d
  5. I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...

I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...: Settings issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-tableau-but-cant-open-to-work-with/121c4b99-5e38-405d-9e9b-dac5d738882d
  6. I tried installing tableau public saying windows compatibility that I should check...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried installing tableau public saying windows compatibility that I should check...: Settings issues .not opening my tableau public on my windows 11.it downloaded and error saying change settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-tried-installing-tableau-public-saying-windows/64277211-fc7a-498f-ba5b-2bdf5a0b0d8a
  7. I tried installing tableau public saying windows compatibility that I should check...

I tried installing tableau public saying windows compatibility that I should check...: Settings issues .not opening my tableau public on my windows 11.it downloaded and error saying change settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-tried-installing-tableau-public-saying-windows/64277211-fc7a-498f-ba5b-2bdf5a0b0d8a
  8. Getting weird emails! What if anything should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting weird emails! What if anything should I do?: I’ve been getting these ofd emails for the last 24 hours, its not me trying to sign in, what if anything should I do?“Hi **********@gmail.com,We received your request for a single-use code to use with your Microsoft account.Your single-use code is: *******If you didn't...
  9. Getting weird emails! What if anything should I do?

Getting weird emails! What if anything should I do?: I’ve been getting these ofd emails for the last 24 hours, its not me trying to sign in, what if anything should I do?“Hi **********@gmail.com,We received your request for a single-use code to use with your Microsoft account.Your single-use code is: *******If you didn't...
  10. I uploaded pictures in some browsers web they show parameter error 613 what i should do now...

I uploaded pictures in some browsers web they show parameter error 613 what i should do now...: I uploaded pictures in some browsers web they show parameter error 613 what i should do now kindly help me i use this web through mn mobile huawei...