Windows 10: Windows 7 should be Windows 11

Discus and support Windows 7 should be Windows 11 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; " speaking of duplicates is IMO totally wrong. Duplicate would mean there already exists the same file elsewhere on computer. This is really not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mousegolf, Nov 22, 2014.

1. davehc Win User

Windows 7 should be Windows 11

" speaking of duplicates is IMO totally wrong. Duplicate would mean there already exists the same file elsewhere on computer. This is really not the case. "

I doubt that you really read my posts. I did refer to the visual aspect, not the actual folders. Undoubtedly, one can see both libraries and the originals - that cannot be denied.
    However, you have unconsciously agreed on that point! You choose to hide your original folders, I choose to hide the libraries.
    In the post you originally quoted, from Rikkins, there was (your quote "My goal with these posts of mine is to correct the false information I see") there was no "false" information, only, as with several posts in this thread, an opinion, or point of view.
    Previous post " You can hide libraries from the left panel.." - Exactly.

Anyway, I see an impasse here so, having spouted, I will say no more.

davehc, Nov 24, 2014
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Even the apparently much loved XP was greeted with derision when it first came out - annoyances over activation etc and it was popularly known as "Windows eXPensive".

Windows 7 was fine (and still is) but things have moved on a bit like the use of tablets / phones etc with Touch / cloud / "always on Internet" etc. These days loads of people have multi-monitor setups (and I mean MORE than 2) which the OS has to be able to handle efficiently as well.

A decent OS should take account of all these things - and it's certainly not practicably possible to keep updating older OS'es to include all these things and make use of better algorithms and hardware. If it were we'd all probably still be running XP (or perhaps a new version XP 128 bit).

Run Win 7 if you like -- I'm quite glad W10 has appeared which means as a USER I can still use the computer as I'm used to but also take advantages when I want of new features such as TOUCH, media streaming, connectivity with mobile devices etc.

I can't really see what's NOT to like in W10 (W8 I agree was too an abrupt change for most) but W10 has addressed most people's concerns.

Still a few glitches to sort out ands a few features to get right but I can't see any problem for classical desktop Windows 7 users being fazed by the W10 OS. A few minor tweaks to the start menu - and then you have it -- task bars/ desktop etc the same as before, plus the added bonus of Live tiles to come (the old VISTA Gadgets sort of back again - those are nice on separate monitors too).

As for Libraries -- if people want them - OK - but the new Storage Spaces (introduced in Windows 8) is IMO FAR FAR more useful and can be used decently as Software RAID as well if you want with the added advantage that volumes in the storage space DO NOT all have to be the same size which is a usual requirement for RAID.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 24, 2014
  3. It seems that this Library debate is veering dangerously close to RTFM. *Sad

Are you are suggesting that users, who are barely capable of pinning something to the Start Menu, should edit the W7 Registry?

In W8.1 there is a context menu option.

lehnerus2000, Nov 24, 2014
  4. Rickkins Win User

Geez man, wtf is wrong with you...??? You're arguing against other people's personal preferences and opinions. I find it abusive. Enough.

Rickkins, Nov 24, 2014
  5. Rickkins Win User
    I should have chosen a better way to put that, surely. In fact, I've learned to just ignore them. It's all about options. I find them(libraries) useless. But then I have always used the file manager since 3.1, and I believed it was better in xp than in 7, as was the task bar. But overall, 7 was better than xp. It's all about nuance. one may not like one thing that someone else loves. Doesn't mean the hate the product as a whole.

I have no idea why some folks tend to go on the warpath when someone doesn't like something exactly the way that they do.

Rickkins, Nov 24, 2014
  6. Yes personal preference has to always rule the day,
    A sensitive topic libraries are and if I remember correctly in win-10TP they are turned off but it could of been one of the install options
    I personally did not use the recommended install attempting to avoid apps popping up wanting to sign in... because I did not use a Microsoft account except for the feedback app *Wink
    I still got popups that I have an app that does that *Smile
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Nov 24, 2014
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. personal preference should be the norm in the start menu and other setting in Windows.
    Personally, I have no issues with what a person wants to use, Classic Shell, Start8.. etc.
    Note: I use Classic Shell in Win8.1.1 and I like it.

Jeff*Smile

BunnyJ, Nov 24, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

To finish semantics over libraries from my part, here's a practical tip. I am not saying this is the best way, just that this is my way, a very practical way.

Windows 7 should be Windows 11 [​IMG]
    Tip When I have added all necessary folders from various drives to respective libraries I hide the folders themselves selecting to hide only the folders, not their content. In this example I hide the \Documents folder because I do not need to see it as the content is already shown and available in Documents library:

This example from my Videos library. All video folders hidden, content accessed and managed from Videos library:

9. Tony K Win User
    Does “Pot, meet Kettle” come to mind? *Tongue

Remember 8.x and 8F and the battles there? A lot of it was filtering fact from fiction. I think Kari is simply saying that it’s OK not to like a product or feature if or when a user truly understands that product or feature either via education and/or use of the product or feature. He does quite well with his visualizations. What he’s against and what many are is misinformation of the facts. This is not to say you nor others do not understand a product or feature. What gets my goat is that members come on, including me at times, stating our opinion without substantial evidence or reference to back up that opinion. Oft times you’ll see me asking members to reference something they state. Most times they never post back. That’s not to say I’m right. I just wonder why they don’t post back. When they don’t then I consider it opinion rather than fact.

It seems to me to be a constant in this world that a vast majority of the people like to follow “popular opinion” rather than finding out the facts for themselves. I call it the “They said” syndrome. “They said” it isn’t true or won’t work, so reject it. So much so that they quash the facts. Ask Jesus Christ, Martin Luther, Mahatma Gandhi, John F Kennedy, Martin Luther King, John Lennon, and many others. They were all against “popular opinion” and most times used peaceful means to stand up against those “popular opinions”.

I’m a huge John F Kennedy assassination historical enthusiast. I was twelve years old at the time. I’ve read many an articles/books and watched many a documentary on the subject. There are theories galore as to what exactly happened that day, happened afterwards, and to whom carried it out. I’m not going to get into what I think happened, but I’ll state two undeniable facts via visuals. Anyone who has watched the Zapruder film can plainly see that within the frames of the last fatal shot that a lot of his head was blown open. So much so that it caused what is referred to as a “red halo” that jutted out. One can see his brain matter hanging from the opening. The “official” autopsy photos released by the U.S. government do not whatsoever match that wound received. These are undeniable visual facts. If “seeing is believing” then that means the official autopsy photos were altered. Furthermore, all of the doctors (approximately 7) at the hospital that day who saw that wound testified that the official photos are not what they saw. That being true, then there was obviously a cover up. Then a cover up being true, then a conspiracy to murder. A conspiracy to murder means a coup d'état occurred. If A = B and B = C then A = C.

“They said” it was a lone gunman that killed OUR president, therefore it became “popular opinion” at the time.

This post was not intended to “stir the pot” about conspiracy theories or to knock religious belief if I mentioned a certain name or names. My sole motive was to convey my thoughts on “popular belief”. Believe whatever you want to believe, for after all I don’t walk in your shoes.

Tony K, Nov 24, 2014
  10. Rickkins Win User
    If you'll recall, I never said you were wrong for using it, or that you were too stupid to use the desktop, either outright or implied. There is a subtle difference.

And we've had this conversation before, you and I.

Rickkins, Nov 24, 2014
  11. I am sorry, my mistake. I have W7 at work, where I have no time to actually do the things I have mentioned, At home, I was on W8/8.1, now on W10 and did not use libraries on W7, as I have learnt about them in W8Windows 7 should be Windows 11 :)

Are you are suggesting that users, who are barely capable of pinning something to the Start Menu, should edit the W7 Registry?

In W8.1 there is a context menu option.

Olivir2014, Nov 25, 2014
  12. I agree. If you don't want to use libraries, just don't use them. Many people do use them.

Lady Fitzgerald, Nov 25, 2014
  13. Windows 7 should be Windows 11

Same here.. if anyone wants to have a "new" win7.. well stick with win7. *Huh
    Jeff Which is exactly what I am doing for now.

14. So? Don't use them. I'm not using them right now although I plan on doing so in the future when I need to "see" multiple drives in one directory.

15. Same here.. if anyone wants to have a "new" win7.. well stick with win7. *Huh
    Jeff Problem is that when extended support is over, you have to move on up. I like Win8, but if you want to stay with 7, you can only do so until January 2020. So? Five more years is still five more years.

Thema:

1. Windows 7 should be Windows 11 - Similar Threads - should

2. What do these do? Should i touch them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What do these do? Should i touch them?: Should i be tinkering with Component services?my PC is quite tightly locked/ restrictive if you don't have admin perms i don't have admin perms to delete apps from "uninstall a program" eg. Bluestacks but that's not my issue the issue is thati can edit all of theseremove,...
  3. What do these do? Should i touch them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do these do? Should i touch them?: Should i be tinkering with Component services?my PC is quite tightly locked/ restrictive if you don't have admin perms i don't have admin perms to delete apps from "uninstall a program" eg. Bluestacks but that's not my issue the issue is thati can edit all of theseremove,...
  4. What do these do? Should i touch them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Work computer given to me that is on a domain, should I keep it that way?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Work computer given to me that is on a domain, should I keep it that way?: I have been given a work computer that is on a domain, should I keep it that way? Or should I wipe it and remove it from the domain?What are the disadvantages in keeping as it is?...
  6. Work computer given to me that is on a domain, should I keep it that way?

Work computer given to me that is on a domain, should I keep it that way?: I have been given a work computer that is on a domain, should I keep it that way? Or should I wipe it and remove it from the domain?What are the disadvantages in keeping as it is?...
  7. Work computer given to me that is on a domain, should I keep it that way?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. DNS server is not responding in Windows 10 Pro. What should I do to fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS server is not responding in Windows 10 Pro. What should I do to fix it?: DNS server is not responding in Windows 10 Pro. What should I do to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-is-not-responding-in-windows-10-pro/fc137db6-89e7-4792-86a0-5d5fd830cc6d
  9. DNS server is not responding in Windows 10 Pro. What should I do to fix it?

DNS server is not responding in Windows 10 Pro. What should I do to fix it?: DNS server is not responding in Windows 10 Pro. What should I do to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-is-not-responding-in-windows-10-pro/fc137db6-89e7-4792-86a0-5d5fd830cc6d
  10. DNS server is not responding in Windows 10 Pro. What should I do to fix it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware