Windows 10: Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD.

Discus and support Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I have recently upgraded my laptop drive running Windows 7 Home Edition. I reserved windows 10 free upgrade, however I installed Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ronaldo9r9, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD.

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded my laptop drive running Windows 7 Home Edition. I reserved windows 10 free upgrade, however I installed Windows 10 Insider preview using ISO. Before I did that I created Recovery image using Packard Bell software. Since then I have replaced old drive with Sandisk 240gb SSD drive, I installed Windows 10 using ISO on SSD.

I have sticker on the back of my laptop with Windows 7 home edition key. When Windows 10 is officially released on 29/07 do I need to use the key on my laptop. Will it be as simple as that or Do i need to restore the image on SSD drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. I am hoping I don't have to install Windows 10 as a fresh install.

Any suggestion.

Thanks

:)

ronaldo9r9, Jul 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade - New SSD

Hi All,

Struggling to find clear answer online.

Currently I have a PC with Windows 7 Pro, my Windows 10 upgrade says it is ready but I have yet to upgrade.

I have purchased and installed a new SSD in my PC.

I'd like to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new (blank) SSD.

What are my best options?:

1. Upgrade current Windows 7 to 10 and then do clean install of 10 on my new SSD (will this conflict with the upgraded drive)?

2. Clone current Windows 7 to new SSD and upgrade, then format SSD and do clean install?

I'm just worried about activation side of things.

Thanks,

Aidan Flanagan, Jul 12, 2015
  3. Desired Win User
    Windows 10 Reinstall on SSD

I bought a new SSD today, but I have already upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 7 on my old HDD.

I created an installation media USB and installed Windows 10 on my SSD, but I am unable to activate Windows 10 on my SSD with my Windows 7 key.

I do not have a disk or USB to install Windows 7 to do an upgrade to Windows 10 on my SSD.

I cannot migrate because I have a 256GB SSD, but I have 900GB of data on my HDD...

How to proceed?

Desired, Jul 12, 2015
  4. Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD.

Hey,

You will need put the image back onto the SSD, then upgrade when you are prompted. (This may not be on the 29th)

* Edit *

Just read this:

The store-based license key will supersede the registration key that is locked to your PC’s motherboard. After that, you can then do a clean installation to a new drive which will consume one license.

MrCollective, Jul 13, 2015
  5. Okay. I will put image back on my SSD and Install when Windows 10 when its available.

One thing I noticed is that Windows 7 key sticker key is fading away. I can barely read last four digits/letters of the key. Will this be a problem when Windows 10 is released I will be asked for this right?

Can I do the following do you think

1- Create a backup of Windows 10 insider preview, Restore Windows 7 using disks on SSD and then Install Windows 10. This way it will remember I have Valid Windows 7.
    2- Restore Windows 7 on SSD now and then restore Windows 10 insider Preview on SSD and then install Windows 10 when its available keeping all the files.

or is there a third option?

ronaldo9r9, Jul 13, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    Here is a thought for others - For those of you that purchased Windows 8 as an upgrade to Win 7 ..
    That is considered a Windows 8 Retail Upgrade and the Product Key is transferrable

If you upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8 / 8.1 the windows 8/8.1 key is superseded to a 10 key on that PC

Re-install windows 7 and have that key superseded
    and save your purchased win8 key for transfer to another non-upgradable PC - before you supersede it to a 10 key

This has been bothering me since 10 was said to be a free upgrade - we who purchased 8 upgrade - could now get a free upgrade from 7 to 10 -- but we all purchased 8 (really for nothing except to help fund 10)

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD.

1. Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD. - Similar Threads - upgrade SSD

2. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  3. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  4. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram: I’ve got a new laptop that I have bought recently and it has been fine until one day it randomly keeps shutting down itself and starting up again out of nowhere every 5 mins. I managed to fix This problem as it didn’t start up properly I just shut it down and started it up...
  6. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram: I’ve got a new laptop that I have bought recently and it has been fine until one day it randomly keeps shutting down itself and starting up again out of nowhere every 5 mins. I managed to fix This problem as it didn’t start up properly I just shut it down and started it up...
  7. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

8. system boot error after upgrading ssd and ram

9. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  10. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...