Windows 10: Windows 7 to Windows 9 Direct Upgrades Tested by Microsoft

Discus and support Windows 7 to Windows 9 Direct Upgrades Tested by Microsoft in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The beta version of Windows 9, which could be called Windows Technical Preview when it hits the market later this month, could come with lots of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Sep 17, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows 7 to Windows 9 Direct Upgrades Tested by Microsoft

More

:)

labeeman, Sep 17, 2014
  2. Kyrinoz Win User

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, now World of Warcraft won't start up anymore.

It doesn't matter whether or not you're running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of ANY game that uses Direct X 9 in Windows 10 regardless of how up to date anything else is.

Any attempt to run a game in Windowed or full screen mode regardless of 'compatibility' settings, that utilizes Direct X 9 WILL black screen the moment you launch the game, & WILL cause your system to freeze.

Microsoft would rather have us either roll back our OS, or 'wait' until they release a fix & there's no guarantee they will actually support it.

The same can be said for any hardware that was 'legacy' grandfathered for drivers to eventually be supported for Windows 7 & 8.1. Those drivers won't work in Windows 10, due to signature mismatches.

As 'great' as Windows 10 has the potential to be, gutting the utility of it right out of the gate for most gamers by not supporting Dx9, not supporting legacy hardware that was 'grandfathered' into support for Win 7 & 8, and not even having basic functionality
    for things like "Silverlight" (which is required by Netflix) without having to download a 3rd party web browser....

Windows 10, isn't worth using for the average home user or gamer, until SP1 & all of the subsequent updates to fix whatever bugs are created by the mountain range of fail that SP 1 will be designed to fix.

If Direct X 9 support for games isn't grandfathered in within the next couple of weeks or less. Windows 10 won't be worth using at all, because the majority of people who've already upgraded to it, are already rolling back in utter disgust.

If you want a test market to beta test a product, fine, label it as such. However if you want to beta test a product that's nowhere near ready for public release after gutting 90% of it's functionality, as a gimmick to get people to beta test it for you,
    & spend months raging on the forums for solutions to things that should have been included in it's release?

You've got to be joking.

Until Windows 10 behaves like an actual upgrade without all of the compatibility bugs, or like an OS that's still in it's early BETA / late ALPHA testing stages, as an IT professional I cannot in good conscience recommend this operating system to anyone.
    Especially gamers & that's what the majority of my own business caters to.

Kyrinoz, Sep 17, 2014
  3. Entegy Win User
    How to sign into a which uses HTTPS Basic Authentication?

HTTPS is supported. Do these websites work in Internet Explorer 9 on Windows Vista/7 if you can test that?

Entegy, Sep 17, 2014
  4. adamf Win User

Can a technical preview of a beta version really hit the market?

adamf, Sep 17, 2014
  5. Boozad Win User
    My W7 install will remain completely untouched, M$ ain't reeling me in with that one. When I eventually feel like testing out 9 I'll have to sacrifice my W8 partition, at least that can be restored through an image pretty quickly.

Boozad, Sep 17, 2014
  6. I'll try it 2 ways, I have a spare 149GB partition on my main PC and 2 other PC's that are capable of running a virtual machine so I'll be doing that too.
    If you have Windows 8.x it is imperative you have a complete back up if you intend to do a upgrade install to Nine as don't forget these are usually time limited and stop working after so many months. Windows 8.x ISO are not to easy to find, Windows 7 ISO are available but you should back up to. To coin a phrase of a Late Member Windows 7 Help Forums - View Profile: richnrockville BACK UP BACKUP BACK UP

Indianatone, Sep 17, 2014
  7. I sure there will be some "NICE" person selling them on Fleece Bay. Mind you if you have a limited or slow internet it may be cheaper.

Indianatone, Sep 17, 2014
  8. strollin Win User

I only test "previews", Alphas, Betas and the like on VMs so I want an ISO I can use to do clean installs. I really don't care for upgrading, especially not for a "preview".

strollin, Sep 17, 2014
  9. Nope no upgrades for me.
    I want to install W9 on a separate ssd and give it a work out.

Layback Bear, Sep 18, 2014
  10. Would you rather they didn't test it? *Wink Regardless of whether you personally would upgrade, I think the point is that they are testing it to see any potential issues. If problems are found they can fix them in the final release. And before anybody relies with "why use us as Ginny pigs", these are preview releases that you use at your own risk. What used to be called Alpha or Beta releases. One of the reasons for releasing test builds is to find bugs etc. If you don't want to be a Ginny Pig, then don't run it.

alphanumeric, Sep 20, 2014
  11. davehc Win User
    As always, the OS is being tested "on the run", by selected individuals and organisations around the globe. But, not to be too quick to blame MS, particularly remembering the pre release of Windows 8 and its feedback, with the enormous amount of different systems and third party applications, MS cannot cover all bases. The pre release, hopefully, is intended to snare some of those outside problems.
    Serious problems, if found, I would hope will be dealt with, but, essentially, whether it is regarded as a smug attitude or not, I don't believe that MS will, at this stage, be making any minor, or cosmetic changes, based on complaints they may read in the media (or forums)

davehc, Sep 20, 2014
  12. Phone Man Win User
    The first thing would be a compatibility test to see if your hardware and programs will run under W9. I am planning to replace W7 on my dual boot system so will give the upgrade a ride. If its not 100% then I will wipe it and do a clean install. Its a new toy so why not try it out and see how it works out. If this upgrade really works properly then look at all the time can be saved but I do suspect there will be some driver or program problems.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Sep 22, 2014
  13. unifex Win User

No upgrades here. I will try the W9 on a separate drive and then I will try the final release on the same drive and then if I like it, it might eventually replace W7 in my daily use.

unifex, Sep 27, 2014
  14. Phone Man Win User
    I tried an upgrade from W7 to W10 and it crashed on reboot and then returned me to W7. I didn't do any changes to W7 before I tried the upgrade to see the results and I have a hunch it was a problem with my AV still running. But I will let MS figure it out. It was an interesting process. Download an exe file from MS and after running it there is an Optional Update in Windows Update. Running that update starts the upgrade to W10. I can see in the future MS will offer upgrades through Windows Update and also maybe an ISO.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 12, 2014
  15. Presumably they want to eliminate ISOs, so that you have to use their store.

Not providing an ISO might reduce "Piracy", but I wouldn't bet on it.

Businesses will still have to have a corporate image to roll out to their workers, so presumably you will still be able to use "SysPrep" (or whatever it's called now).

lehnerus2000, Oct 12, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 7 to Windows 9 Direct Upgrades Tested by Microsoft - Similar Threads - Direct Upgrades Tested

2. testing for directly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    testing for directly: testing for directly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/testing-for-directly/36fa8a6c-93fc-486d-8c1a-8e7ca315e1b8
  3. testing for directly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    testing for directly: testing for directly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/testing-for-directly/36fa8a6c-93fc-486d-8c1a-8e7ca315e1b8
  4. testing for directly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Testing from directly

Testing from directly: Testing from directly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/testing-from-directly/43cf41cb-6237-460b-b26a-b87170620cc0
  6. Testing from directly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Testing from directly: Testing from directly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/testing-from-directly/43cf41cb-6237-460b-b26a-b87170620cc0
  7. Testing from directly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Test from Directly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Test from Directly: Test from Directly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/test-from-directly/d7696a5c-8150-411c-a1e1-ffb6b02f8d9f
  9. Test from Directly

Test from Directly: Test from Directly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/test-from-directly/d7696a5c-8150-411c-a1e1-ffb6b02f8d9f
  10. Anyone testing w10 direct upgrade method from 7 Home...?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anyone testing w10 direct upgrade method from 7 Home...?: Anyone testing w10 direct upgrade method from 7 Home premium? Here is what I mean, you have everything you wanted installed on windows 7. Then you chose to upgrade instead of doing a clean install. If so, your complaints and praises please. 3854