Windows 10: Windows 7 upgrade dilemma

Discus and support Windows 7 upgrade dilemma in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to continue using Windows 7 but my concern is that it is no longer supported after January 2020. Ideally, if my laptop is still working, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by safe01, Apr 14, 2016.

1. safe01 Win User

Windows 7 upgrade dilemma

I would like to continue using Windows 7 but my concern is that it is no longer supported after January 2020. Ideally, if my laptop is still working, I would like to switch to Windows 10 in December 2019. Is there any way of doing this for free by, say, creating a Windows 10 installation disc, or do all free Windows 10 upgrades by whatever means have to be completed by 29 July 2016?

:)

safe01, Apr 14, 2016

2. have windows 7 disk/the code for the copy upgraded to windows 10 and i wish to to a fresh install of windows

i wish to reinstall with a fresh thing of windows 10 (*upgraded to in from 7 64bit pro*) issue is i have a windows 7 disk you see my dilemma (if you need more infromation to help me plz ask)

AutoBot BlackWing, Apr 14, 2016
  3. HTC trophy wp7 flash player

I've been trying to download a flash player on my HTC Trophy windows phone 7 but as yet unable to upgrade or download anything at all was hoping that someone could kindly help out with this dilemma thanks

Darren Anthony Thomson, Apr 14, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Create a partition and install Windows 10 (of the edition you are entitled to based on current Win 7 edition) as a dual boot - activate it with your COA key on the sticker... your PC will get digital entitlement and you can then delete that partition if need be, knowing you can install Windows 10 anytime in the future and have it activated automatically online with the digital entitlement you already have.

Superfly, Apr 14, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I am not sure that Win 10 can be activated in a separate partition.
    The Win 7 key is already in used in the original partition.

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Not the COA key if it's not in use (standard OEM uses a different key) - Retail keys can also be re-used.

Superfly, Apr 14, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    How do you know The OP's COA key is not in use ?
    The OP have not mentioned anything about COA key or OEM key or Retail key. Aren't you assuming a lot ?

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

Going by the instance of probability - it's a laptop, so it's probably OEM, chances that he had to use the COA key?... minimal.

Superfly, Apr 14, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    My suggestion.
    First make sure you have created an Installation disk or a set of Recovery disks for your Windows 7.
    To be on the safe side, back up your personal files to an external media.
    That done, use the In-place upgrade install ( which requires downloading the windows 10 iso file ) or use the Windows Update to upgrade to Windows 10.
    Make sure it is activated.
    Once activated, you have the Digital Entitlement which means you can reinstall the same Windows 10 edition in the same computer any time you want and as often as you want.
    Make an installation disc of your Windows 10. ( There is tutorial for that ).
    Within 30 days after you have installed Windows 10, you can go back to Win 7 by..................
    Right click at Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Recovery > right side, under go back to Windows 7, click the Get Started button. You will be on your way back to Windows 7.

December 2019 is a long way to go. Things could change by then. But as far as we know at this moment, you can use the Windows 10 installation disk and reinstall Win 10 over your Win 7. No Product key will be required and activation will be automatic because you have the Digital Entitlement.

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    I have a laptop came preinstalled with Win 7.
    The COA key at the bottom of the laptop is the ONLY product key I have.
    I assume that is also the case for the OP IF he is using a laptop, and if his Win 7 is pre-installed. And I am assuming a lot.

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  11. safe01 Win User
    Appreciate the replies. To clarify a few things, the installation disc I was talking about creating was for Windows 10 - I already have a W7 installation disc. It's a laptop (for any further system info please see my system spec) and my Windows 7 activation key includes the letters OEM so I guess that makes it OEM.

Also, Windows 7 wasn't pe-installed. The laptop came with Vista. I bought the W7 installation discs separately.

safe01, Apr 14, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    Thank you for the clarification.
    It makes no difference.
    The rule is ........ one key, one install.
    That applies to Retail key as well unless the software comes with a "Family Pack" provision in which one can use the same key to install x numbers of computers.

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

Not so sure about the "installation disc" part as Win 10 vanilla is an installation disc...
    To get an image that is pre-activated follow my previous post and image the Win 10 Home partition with Macrium Reflect and restore when required.
    I understand you have a system builder licence, that will carry over on the same hardware.

Superfly, Apr 14, 2016
  14. RWOne Win User
    I'm not sure of your reasons not to go to 10, but can respect them.

That said, I haven't had anyone using 7 that I've upgraded who hasn't loved it after getting used to the new OS.

I'm not saying there were those in that group who didn't have issue at first, a lot of them were HW/Driver related, but we sorted that out.

I could agree with either method presented, certainly take an image of your windows 7 install to keep as a backup.

The easier route IMO (because we talk about different ways of doing it without knowing your comfort level) without having to resort to partition re-sizing later on, etc. would be just to do the upgrade with the entitlement ...

Making it both easy for you to perform, and you still have a 30 day "out" if you don't like it to go back.

I have 7 systems in my house, and did every one of them, all good and all were of differing age.

RWOne, Apr 14, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 7 upgrade dilemma - Similar Threads - upgrade dilemma

2. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  3. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  4. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 Upgrade Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Upgrade Issue: I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but the PC health check states, "The processor isn't currently supported for windows 11." However, the processor appears in the list of Microsoft Windows 10 22H2 Supported Intel Processors. How can this be that I cannot upgrade if my...
  6. Windows 11 Upgrade Issue

Windows 11 Upgrade Issue: I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but the PC health check states, "The processor isn't currently supported for windows 11." However, the processor appears in the list of Microsoft Windows 10 22H2 Supported Intel Processors. How can this be that I cannot upgrade if my...
  7. Windows 11 Upgrade Issue

8. How can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 11 now?

How can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 11 now?: I know I have to purchase Windows 10 and upgrade to it, then use the free upgrade to Windows 11, but I don’t know how to safely do this, and where to legally/safely purchase Windows 10.Thanks...
  9. Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...

Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...: Hey gang, I bought a new HP Pavilion Gaming TG-0023w with Windows 10 pre-installed onto a 256gb NVMe hard drive. I'm upgrading the original drive to a 1tb version of the same type. I was looking around to find out how to setup the new drive with my PC's copy of Windows...
  10. Win 10 upgrade dilemma

Win 10 upgrade dilemma: Hi, I originally used the sysprep method (from eightforums) to move my user profile to a different drive (E: drive) in win 8.1. My dilemma is do I move my user profile back to the C: drive (win drive) before upgrading to win 10 ? or just upgrade as it would seem this is...