Windows 10: Windows 7's "Backup and Restore" program crashes on startup

Discus and support Windows 7's "Backup and Restore" program crashes on startup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I ran into a weird problem with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Earlier this week, I used the Windows 7 Backup and Restore program to do some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bunkei, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Bunkei Win User

Windows 7's "Backup and Restore" program crashes on startup

Hi,

I ran into a weird problem with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Earlier this week, I used the Windows 7 Backup and Restore program to do some backups (including a system image) in preparation for a new desktop I'll be bringing home tomorrow. I used my 2 TB Passport external HDD as the destination. Everything worked fine.

Today, I thought I'd run one more backup as I recently installed a few new programs, but for some odd reason, the backup menu is almost totally blank (Under Control Panel -> System Security -> Backup and Restore (Windows 7)).

I've included a screenshot for your perusal. Just in case there was corruption of some kind, I used the sfc /scannow command (using Admin), but it didn't find any integrity violations.

Has anyone else encountered this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. I can't think of anything I've done that might have caused this. The only thing I've done this week of note is update the firmware for my SSD (I have a Samsung Evo 840) using the Samsung Magician software.

I have no other issues with the OS as of this writing.

:)

Bunkei, Mar 10, 2016
  2. CielM Win User

Backup and Restore (windows7) fails in Windows 10

Guess so.

Would you mind telling me anything you know about any alternative option? Would the file history serve as something that is feasible to backup the entire drive? I`ve tried some paid thirdparty software but that`s just not better than the backup and restore.

CielM, Mar 10, 2016
  3. grschinon Win User
    Enter on keypad " no. + # "

petrib is correct. It is a shortcut to SIM numbers.

Numbers on your SIM might not be in the position you think. Just because they appear sorted in alphabetical order in the contacts list doesn't mean that they appear in that same order on the SIM. On the SIM they appear in the order in which you input them,
    unless you delete a number in which case the next one entered takes its place.

grschinon, Mar 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, well reported, thanks. Try
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore blank screen - Windows 7 Help Forums
    and
    my windows 7 backup scannow - Microsoft Community

Note: 3rd party disk imaging offers many advantages compared to Windows' own, with incremental and differential images, schedules, restoration to dissimilar hardware, backup maintenance settings to control the number of backups kept etc etc.

Given that you are getting a new PC you might be interested in the program Laplink offers (PCMover Disk Image Assistant) (which I used 95%+ successfully on 300+ programs), used to transfer programs to a new PC, using an image you have created. Whilst they promote O&O Disk Image, Macrium Reflect (free) images should be ok too.

Many here advocate Macrium.

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
  5. Bunkei Win User
    That did it! Thank you very much! I'll also look into the Laplink program you mentioned.

Have a great weekend!

~Ben

Bunkei, Mar 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Great, rarely are they so easy..

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7's "Backup and Restore" program crashes on startup - Similar Threads - 7's Backup Restore

2. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: HiMy Windows is 11 x64 latest version, When I want use Backup and Restore Windows 7, my Drive F: is also selected by default to backup and I can not deselect it why this happed?! I want just backup my drive C: because the backup size is too large with drivce F:...
  3. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  4. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: I have the Backup and Restore Windows 7 set to backup every day and I see that it creates a new folder each day. If I wanted to restore, am I correct that everything on my SSD would be erased system files, programs and data and replaced by the info from the Backup and Restore...
  5. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  6. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  7. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows 7 backup & restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup & restore: Why do you use Windows 7 for backup & restore? 7 seems so out of date and I'm having a problem with it reading the Flash drive in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-restore/188f750b-188d-435d-af8f-159f500286db
  9. Windows 7 backup/restore

Windows 7 backup/restore: I use this backup option on weekdays. Unfortunately the app does not allow skipping weekend days. Is there a way to automatically limit backups to weekdays? Thanks for any help....
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...