Windows 10: Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu

Discus and support Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; After nearly two years of controversy, Microsoft has finally decided to bring back the Start menu in Windows 10, trying to address complaints received... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Dec 5, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu

More

labeeman, Dec 5, 2014

2. IMO, MS need to offer both experiences, the 8 and the new way

With 10 they are doing the same thing they did with 8, making a drastic change from one way of doing things to another

8 neglected the desktop side and made the focal point the start screen
    10 is neglecting the metro side and making everything desktop oriented

From what I have seen of screen shots the 8 experience is gone, its going to be start menu for desktop and a bigger start menu for tablets (both just on the desktop)

for me its not just a case of start menu v start screen, it should be 8 experience v new 10 experience

:)

paulsalter, Dec 5, 2014
  3. Windows 10 start menu

When Windows 10 preview was first released we could disable the start menu and enable the start screen in Windows 10, can we still do this?

I hate the start menu in Windows 10 and I love the start screen in Windows 8.1. If we can't enable the start screen is there a way to regedit to get it back and disable the disgusting start menu?

LLOYDFRANKLIN85, Dec 5, 2014
  4. Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu

How do I get the Windows 8.1 start screen in Windows 10?

I really love the Windows 8.1 start screen and would really love to have it in Windows 10. Is there any way to enable it?

No I'm not talking about putting the Windows 10 start menu in full screen mode, that's not a start screen it's still the start menu.

LLOYDFRANKLIN85, Dec 5, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I like the new start menu but then again I'm a desktop user and that just fits my needs. I really would like the option to have either the start screen or start menu that way it will, hopefully, satisfy the needs of more users.

Again,
    YMMV..

Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Dec 5, 2014
  6. Edwin New Member
    Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 5, 2014
  7. dencal Win User
    Hopefully we can have them both, the APPS Screen as in W8.1 is so much better than Apps listed in the Start Menu in W10.
    Being able to toggle between the two would be the best option.

dencal, Dec 5, 2014
  8. BunnyJ New Member

YES!!! LOL
    Just proves you will never please everyone no matter how much they try!

BunnyJ, Dec 5, 2014
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    I'll stick with the "Start Screen."*Smile

10. LittleJay Win User
    I do most of my work on the desktop, but for finding App's or Programs I prefer using the All Apps screen. So I'm hoping W10 will allow us to easily switch between the two, like in W8.1, despite having a Start Menu. I like having my cake and eating it too! *Biggrin

LittleJay, Dec 5, 2014
  11. Winuser Win User
    I've already made up my mind. On my desktop computer and laptop (non touch) I want the desktop with a start menu. On the laptop and tablet that have a touch screen I prefer the start screen. In other words, Give me the option to choose.

Winuser, Dec 5, 2014
  12. I don't like the current Windows 10 Start Menu all that much. Given a choice I'll stick with the Start Screen. The key word being choice. Hopefully that's what it will be, personal choice to use one or the other. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but with two choices hopefully it pleases most users. Those that want to see Metro abolished can dream on, IMHO. I'm not trying to be stir anything up but I just don't see Microsoft making an about face on that now. It's too entrenched in the OS to just strip it out now.

alphanumeric, Dec 5, 2014
  13. Phone Man Win User

MS does give you the choice.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...0-a.html?ltr=S

There was a bug in doing so. When using the Start Screen and booting to Desktop some startup programs would not load. To get them to load at startup you needed to also boot to the Start Screen. MS has been advised and should get this fixed.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 6, 2014
  14. Winuser Win User
    MS didn't give us a choice when Windows 8 came out. When they first brought back the start menu it was a slap in the face to those of us that wanted a Win 7 type start menu. So far with Win 10 they are trying to please both the start menu and start screen users. Who's can say they won't try it again?

Winuser, Dec 6, 2014
  15. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Or did MS realize that the desktop touchscreen thingy metro wasn't adopted by many? I have one for my flightsim but would never have converted to desktop computing with it, neh!

M4v3r1ck, Dec 6, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu - Similar Threads - Start Screen Start

2. windows 10 slow start menu on start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 slow start menu on start: Hello, it seems last post was blocked but user clearly said problem in not fixed and i have same form time to time. onece a month maybeI was able to see something that may be small tip to devs. While start menu couldnt be working i was able to observe on task manager that in...
  3. Windows key opens Window 8 start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows key opens Window 8 start menu: When I press the "Windows" key on my keyboard my computer opens a Windows 8 Start Menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-key-opens-window-8-start-menu/57ed983a-689c-4782-89d8-bbf352e08a19
  4. Windows key opens Window 8 start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows key opens Window 8 start menu: When I press the "Windows" key on my keyboard my computer opens a Windows 8 Start Menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-key-opens-window-8-start-menu/57ed983a-689c-4782-89d8-bbf352e08a19
  5. Windows 7 Start vs. Windows 10 Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 7 Start vs. Windows 10 Start: I have recently "upgraded" to Windows 10, and I am floored that the revised Start Menu is cluttered and clunky by comparison. In Windows 7, I had the few programs I use regularly at the top of the Start Menu, but the biggest difference was that I had the Documents menu as a...
  6. Windows 10’s new Start Menu vs old Start Menu: What’s changed?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s new Start Menu vs old Start Menu: What’s changed?: Earlier this year, Microsoft introduced a new iconography design for Windows 10 that features a colourful and vibrant look. As part of the new design makeover, Live Tiles will be fading into the background, and new icons would be front and center as opposed to the current...
  7. Windows 8 Start Menu STYLE in Windows 10

Windows 8 Start Menu STYLE in Windows 10: Dear all, On my Asus UX305, I kept my Windows 8.1, because I actually like the Start Menu. I know that it is possible to have a similar setup in Windows 10, but it definitely does not look the same. Is there a way that I can edit the background of the Start Menu in...
  8. Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen

Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen: This thread is meant to showcase the new Windows 10 Start menu with tiles or the more familiar Windows 8 Start Screen. You can use either the Start Menu or Start Screen by following Brink's Tutorial [img] Start Menu [img] Start Screen 1994
  9. Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10: How to: Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 How to Change to Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial will no longer work starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. You can use this instead: How to...
  10. Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?: Hello, all. Yesterday my start menu suddenly stopped working. In it's place I had a little white house icon on the task bar. I finally figured out that that was a Lenovo product called Pokki that was apparently designed to replace the missing start menu in Windows 8. I...