Windows 10: Windows 8.1, Windows 10 PC Doesn't Wake from Hibernate

Discus and support Windows 8.1, Windows 10 PC Doesn't Wake from Hibernate in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there, A while back I had an issue when upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 where the hibernate function stopped working. I went through my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by kingofheartsx44, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Windows 8.1, Windows 10 PC Doesn't Wake from Hibernate

Hi there,

A while back I had an issue when upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 where the hibernate function stopped working. I went through my list of programs and drivers to remove and reinstall them over several days. Eventually, I gave up and within a short period of time it started working again.

Now that I've done the Windows 10 update (from 8.1), the issue is back. It only started maybe a few days ago, but I haven't installed any new software or hardware to cause it. Maybe a recent windows update ...

The hibernate button is present and I believe the memory is getting dumped to hiberfil.sys. Whenever I try to turn the computer back on though, it halts at the windows logo and shuts down. If I reboot from there, my hibernated session is gone. Putting the computer to sleep works just fine. Only hibernate is the issue. When I try to set my computer to No Auto-Restart on BSOD and try to hibernate it, it hangs at the windows logo and stops functioning altogether until I hold down the power button to reset it.

I've been digging through forums over the past few days and trying whatever I could find to solve the issue. Thus for, no such luck. Are there any suggestions I can follow? Other than this one issue, Windows 10 has been pretty solid for me.

I have already tried enabling/disabling hibernate, turning off fast boot, disabling password on wake, BIOS is up to date, sfc /scannow comes back with no errors, chkdsk also reports no errors, DISM seems to have fixed something - just not hibernate.

:)

kingofheartsx44, Aug 19, 2015
  2. DAVEMAL Win User

pc wakes up itself

Since my windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 my pc wakes up by itself after a minute in hibernate mode.

DAVEMAL, Aug 19, 2015
  3. DISABLE Windows Password on Hibernate BUT Keep it ON for Wake-up from Sleep

I use the BIOS password instead of Windows Password. But when the PC wakes up from sleep, BIOS password doesn't come into picture.

But if I enable Windows password on "Wake up from Sleep", It enables on Hibernate too (Which I know is a form of sleep).

But I don't want that option. Is there some way to separate the authentication between Sleep and Hibernate?

Or some other work around to this?

ShishirTanwar, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

Windows 8.1, Windows 10 PC Doesn't Wake from Hibernate

1. Windows 8.1, Windows 10 PC Doesn't Wake from Hibernate - Similar Threads - Doesn't Wake Hibernate

2. Windows Setup After Waking From Hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Setup After Waking From Hibernation: Hi, randomly my laptop will enter the windows 11 setup screen after boot up -- as if I've just started the computer for the first time. It only goes through a handful of Qs but not the full setup. For example, it asks if I want to use Bing as my default search provider in...
  3. Windows Setup After Waking From Hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Setup After Waking From Hibernation: Hi, randomly my laptop will enter the windows 11 setup screen after boot up -- as if I've just started the computer for the first time. It only goes through a handful of Qs but not the full setup. For example, it asks if I want to use Bing as my default search provider in...
  4. PC waking up from hibernate status

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC waking up from hibernate status: Hi, my PC is set to go into hibernate after 15 minutes of inactivity. I observed, that it often starts up again a short while after going into hibernate and I don't know why. I tried using powercfg -lastwake in cmd as admin right after the PC started but the History is empty....
  5. PC waking up from hibernate status

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC waking up from hibernate status: Hi, my PC is set to go into hibernate after 15 minutes of inactivity. I observed, that it often starts up again a short while after going into hibernate and I don't know why. I tried using powercfg -lastwake in cmd as admin right after the PC started but the History is empty....
  6. Windows 10 doesn't resume from hibernation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 doesn't resume from hibernation: I've just received a brand new Dell laptop Inspiron 7001 and i've tried enabling the hibernate function in Windows 10, but any time i try it it doesn't resume any of the programs i had open. I've tried multiple suggested fixes like:-Update device drivers and BIOS...
  7. WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep or hibernation

WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep or hibernation: I am running windows 10 19041.388 on an HP All in One PC and cannot get it to wake up from sleep. I have done the following: Allow mouse and keyboard to allow device to wake up computer. Updated drivers Turn off fast start up Re-enable Hibernation via Command Prompt USB...
  8. Wake from hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake from hibernation: My system goes into Hibernate mode in 180 minutes when I don’t use it and I have to wake it up by pressing the power button. The problem is that I use my laptop mainly as a desktop machine and need to lift the lid and press the button often. Is there any way to wake up the...
  9. PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate: A few Preview builds have been acting strangely. If I put computer to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself and keeps doing in the loop. Seems like it's happening during the night. Any idea? Thanks 105289
  10. PC wakes from hibernation with mouse and keyboard

PC wakes from hibernation with mouse and keyboard: Hi all. I've been struggling for weeks in finding a solution to this very annoying behavior of my new desktop pc running W10 Pro x64. I have successfully activated hibernate mode (S4), yet whenever the PC is hibernated a shake of the mouse or the press of any key on the...