Windows 10: Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 versus Windows 7

Discus and support Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 versus Windows 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been a power user of Microsoft Windows based desktop operating systems for 20 years, starting with Windows 3.1. I will be honest and state... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iWindows, Jun 30, 2015.

1. iWindows Win User

Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 versus Windows 7

I have been a power user of Microsoft Windows based desktop operating systems for 20 years, starting with Windows 3.1. I will be honest and state immediately that I strongly dislike Microsoft's most recent OS releases, which obviously includes Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (Technical Preview). In terms of daily usability, I find Windows 7 to be greatly superior; for me Windows 7 is, by far and away, the best Microsoft OS release. Perhaps my opinion is shared by the overwhelming vast majority of Windows users, since it presently holds a hugely dominating market share compared with all other Windows operating systems.

After installing the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview on a virtual machine, my initial impression is that Microsoft is endeavouring — a bit too much — to compete in the mobile-centric computing market. Furthermore, I dislike its design and the superfluous features. As regards the extraneous features, it appears to me that Microsoft is dumbing down the interface. For example, the system applications, including the Control Panel, are becoming increasingly obscured with each new release.

To users who presently utilise Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 installed on a desktop PC or laptop), what do you feel are the benefits of these operating systems in comparison with Windows 7?

:)

iWindows, Jun 30, 2015

2. Downgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Home Single Language from ISO

Upgradation from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10

(For Information only)

Your current edition of Windows
    Windows 10 edition

Note: If you have an N edition of Windows on your PC, choose the N equivalent of Windows 10 for creating installation media.

Windows 7 Starter

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 8/8.1

Windows 8.1 with Bing

Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center

Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8/8.1 Single Language

Windows 8 Single Language with Bing
    Windows 10 Home Single Language

Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition

Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing
    Windows 10 Home China

Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

• If your system came with Windows 8.1 Home --> Windows 10 Home
    • If your system came with Windows 8.1 Single Language --> Windows 10 Single Language.

May I know is your Current Windows 10 is activated or not

• Click on Start
    • Then click on Settings
    • Then click on Update
    • Then click on Activation
    • Did you see a "Windows is activated with Digital Entitlement"

Contact
    Microsoft Support - Help Desk
    (Use CHAT option)

Roharashraj™, Jun 30, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Opting out of Windows 10

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

How To Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Notification On Windows 7 And Windows 8

How To Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Notification On Windows 7 And Windows 8 - MSPoweruser

How to Get Rid of Windows 10 Upgrade Notification in Windows 7 & 8

How to Get Rid of Windows 10 Upgrade Notification in Windows 7 & 8

Disabling the Windows 10 Upgrade Notification

Disabling the Windows 10 Upgrade Notification

cancel windows 8.1 upgrade not9ification - Recherche Google

Linney, Jun 30, 2015
  4. machare Win User

I think Windows 8 or 8.1 used with the Classic Start Menu run a bit better (quicker) than W7. It is a pity that MS did not put the performance improvements into W7.

MS want to have common user interface across phones, tablets and PCs. I have already learnt how to use Android on my phone and tablet which are much more portable devices. I don't think that having a common UI is that advantageous.

machare, Jun 30, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

One feature not often mentioned but BRILLIANT is the STORAGE SPACES feature in W8 onwards, You can use ANY combination of HDD's (different capacities etc) to create aggregate Storage spaces and also it IMO works far better than standard SOFTWARE RAID which requires volumes to have the same capacities / geometries.

The storage space feature is great too if you want to have a large multi-media library - you can span this across several HDD's all of different sizes (excellent use for older HDD's).

A lot of programs that access multi-media libraries have problems if the library needs to be larger than the original HDD. With storage spaces simply add another volume.

http://betanews.com/2014/01/15/windo...raid-for-good/

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 30, 2015
  6. Control Panel will be gone eventually. Everything will be moved to Settings. I didn't like 8.0 all that much. The changes they made in 8.1 changed things for me and it's my preferred OS at the moment. I can't imagine ever going back to Windows 7 now. I didn't like the early builds of Windows 10 much either. But again, the changes they've made in the latter builds are encouraging. I may actually switch from 8.1 to 10. A month ago I wouldn't have said that.

alphanumeric, Jun 30, 2015
  7. echrada Win User
    @Windows
    I think I've heard it all when first Vista and then Seven came along from XP fans. So nothing new.

echrada, Jun 30, 2015
  8. iWindows Win User

Thanks for the link to the page about Windows Storage Spaces, Jimbo; it does seem like a useful application. I think ReFS is superior to NTFS, the former of which is not supported in Windows 7 (which is a shame). The main feature I like with ReFS is the fact that CHKDSK is obsolete.

Machare, I have viewed a few benchmarks and it does seem to be controversial as to whether or not Windows 8+ does, indeed, run faster than Windows 7; I have seen conflicting results on different benchmark tests. I agree that Microsoft seems to want OS uniformity across all hardware devices, which is fair enough. Microsoft made a major strategic mistake by releasing a tablet operating system (Windows 8) for desktop PCs and laptops, which resulted in an appalling reception from consumers. Windows 8.1, however, appears to be a vast improvement over Windows 8 and, thus, has now overtaken Windows XP in terms of market share.

Alphanumeric, I concur that the Control Panel will eventually be superseded by Settings. Personally, I do not see the point in this. As millions of people are extremely familiar with the Control Panel, why not simply improve upon it in subequent releases? Settings is clearly not a spectacular innovation.

It is clear to me that the majority of experienced Windows users probably choose to upgrade their OS based on specific technical features, such as ReFS and DirectX 12 (in Windows 10). Therefore, it is seemingly a case of prioritisation. For me, I prioritise familiarity, simplicity, user interface design and general user interaction over the aforementioned new technical features (I must admit I am fond of ReFS, though). As such, for me, Windows 7 Professional (x64) reigns supreme in these regards.

iWindows, Jun 30, 2015
  9. Apps already have their own set of Settings and other aspects of the Modern UI are already in Settings. I would think its easier to just move everything into the one UI. I think its easier to just move stuff from Control panel to settings than the other way around.

10. iWindows Win User
    I can see where you're coming from. However, I cannot help but feel that Windows users are being forced into this mobile-centric market in which "tablets", "smart phones", "apps" and "the cloud" dominate proceedings. Personally, I have zero interest in "tablets", "smart phones", "apps", nor could I care less about "the cloud". Moreover, it is abundantly clear to me that Microsoft, with Windows 10, is creating overly simplistic and superficial programs that obscure the core system applications of Windows, hence taking more control away from the user. I feel that it is primarily designed for, and marketed toward, the casual user.

iWindows, Jun 30, 2015
  11. swarfega Win User
    I recently had 7 installed after returning from 10 testing, and I found it much slower in both boot time and general usage than 8/8.1. If they keep that up with 10 then all is good.

swarfega, Jun 30, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Windows 7 is very old and totally outdated. While WIn8.1 is more modern and it performs much better. Now Win10 is still a work in progress and it's the future for MS. Right now I really like Win10 more that Win8.1 and for me Win7 is history.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jun 30, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

Everyone felt the same way from the very beginning. Especially when MS took away the Start Menu when they first released 8. If you've used Win 8 before and got yourself familiar navigating around it, switching to 10 will be a more pleasant experience. And switching from 7 to 10 won't also be a total shock for new adopters as MS tried to keep the same familiar desktop environment but with extremely enhanced user interface.
    I agree 7 is one of the best OS there is and that's why I am keeping it. But we also have to catch up with the latest OS development if we don't want to be left behind. *Smile

badrobot, Jun 30, 2015
  14. I don't own a tablet and the only touch screen I have is connected to my Raspberry Pi. I have no problem navigating and using Windows 8.1 or 10 with a keyboard and trackball. Or Touch pad for that matter. I don't see a big difference between settings and control panel? You click an icon for a sub menu etc. You just have to learn where things are. I don't use the cloud for storage, not yet anyway. I do make use of the One Drive sync feature though to sync my windows settings across all my PC's. I use a coup[le of Apps, weather and Slacker radio to name a couple. Nobodies forcing you? You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. Or run Windows if you don't want to.

15. LittleJay Win User
    I just ran the Build 10158 update over my copy of Windows 7 and so far everything is working well. Media Center is the only casualty that I can see, but Media Player is still there. I will just leave this install as is until July 29th and then make it permanent. I also have an install of Windows 8.1 Pro on another disk, which I plan to keep as is.

LittleJay, Jun 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 versus Windows 7 - Similar Threads - versus

2. why isn't modern combat versus in the windows app store?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    why isn't modern combat versus in the windows app store?: so i went to play modern combat versus and it gave me a notification saying blah blah blah can't remember so I looked in the app store this was a while ago and I don't know what's going now...
  3. why isn't modern combat versus in the windows app store?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why isn't modern combat versus in the windows app store?: so i went to play modern combat versus and it gave me a notification saying blah blah blah can't remember so I looked in the app store this was a while ago and I don't know what's going now...
  4. why isn't modern combat versus in the windows app store?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Date Modified" versus "Date Created" for Pictures Saved on Windows 10 and 11 Computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Date Modified" versus "Date Created" for Pictures Saved on Windows 10 and 11 Computers: I am using a great free slideshow application called GPhotoShow, which allows me to point towards a directory of all of my greatest pictures of family, friends, travels, etc. and have a random "slideshow of life" running on all of my computers. One is a desktop running...
  6. "Date Modified" versus "Date Created" for Pictures Saved on Windows 10 and 11 Computers

"Date Modified" versus "Date Created" for Pictures Saved on Windows 10 and 11 Computers: I am using a great free slideshow application called GPhotoShow, which allows me to point towards a directory of all of my greatest pictures of family, friends, travels, etc. and have a random "slideshow of life" running on all of my computers. One is a desktop running...
  7. Modern Combat Versus- lost all my progress

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modern Combat Versus- lost all my progress: It's been 1 year i didn't play modern combat versus, now when i'm trying to find my account with my microsoft account, it juts make me a new one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modern-combat-versus-lost-all-my-progress/1aa11681-d8a0-412a-a3fd-4f9135161bc2
  8. Modern Combat Versus- lost all my progress

Modern Combat Versus- lost all my progress: It's been 1 year i didn't play modern combat versus, now when i'm trying to find my account with my microsoft account, it juts make me a new one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modern-combat-versus-lost-all-my-progress/1aa11681-d8a0-412a-a3fd-4f9135161bc2
  9. PC's local access password versus Microsoft acct password

PC's local access password versus Microsoft acct password: I had an older PC where old local access password had expired when screen lock comes up and you need to type password to unlock. It did not reset properly and all subsequent attempt to regain access by resetting password failed all the methods on YouTube to get the CMD prompt...
  10. PC's local access password versus Microsoft acct password

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC's local access password versus Microsoft acct password: I had an older PC where old local access password had expired when screen lock comes up and you need to type password to unlock. It did not reset properly and all subsequent attempt to regain access by resetting password failed all the methods on YouTube to get the CMD prompt...