Windows 10: windows 8 to 10 upgrade

Discus and support windows 8 to 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have windows 8 (not 8.1) on a laptop. I have ran updates till there are no more important updates. I want to upgrade to 10. I looked at the tutorial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by copiman, May 10, 2016.

1. copiman Win User

windows 8 to 10 upgrade

I have windows 8 (not 8.1) on a laptop. I have ran updates till there are no more important updates. I want to upgrade to 10. I looked at the tutorial (Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup#step6) and it seems straight forward. Just want to make sure this will take me from 8 (not 8.1) to 10?

:)

copiman, May 10, 2016

2. Windows Defender won't start, error 0X80070246: "An error has occurred in the program during initialization"

Yes, and I' ve done a lot more to try to fix this. I reinstalled at Recovery. I need an .iso for the latest build available and MSFT mistakenly witholds them for no good reason.

Win 8 to 10, May 10, 2016
  3. Windows Defender won't start, error 0X80070246: "An error has occurred in the program during initialization"

Windows Defender Won't Start and Run

1) Start and Restart are grayed out in services.msc

2) I get Error Code 0X80070246: "An error has occurred in the program during initialization.

3) I don't have any other antivirus. I consider two at once poor practice.

None ot the other threads are any help and MSFT won't support this by phone without a bundle of money paid to them for shipping a broken product in the first place. I also think if you're providing feedback carefully for over a year in the Insider
    program, and the forums can't help you ought to be entitled to phone support when something is vexingly broken and you can't find a solution on the forums.

Gabe could fix these problems by providing .isos for every build.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for any help

Win 8 to 10, May 10, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

windows 8 to 10 upgrade

I don't think you should have any problems. But first, make a backup image of your system to make sure you can restore your PC if there are any issues.

BunnyJ, May 10, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    The System Requirements for the FREE Upgrade to Win10 includes having either Win8.1 or Win7 w/SP1 installed. Win8.0 could be updated to 8.1 free from the Windows Store, might check that. I tried to Upgrade 8.0 to Win10 and it failed big time so I first updated to 8.1 then installed any updates available and the Upgrade to Win10 worked fine. But this is all based on getting the FREE Upgrade, not a purchased product.

Berton, May 10, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    If one wants to upgrade through Windows Update, then the requirement is to have either Win 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1.

If one wants to upgrade through an ISO file, the above requirement is NOT applicable. One can upgrade Win 7 (without SP1) or Win 8 (without Update 1).

davidhk, May 10, 2016
  7. kongming Win User
    Microsoft have stated that it has to be Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1.
    The installer file size will be very large if you upgrade from Windows 8 or Windows 7.

kongming, May 10, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

windows 8 to 10 upgrade

The latter is the process I was referring to.

BunnyJ, May 10, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Yes. I know that.
    My reply is mainly in response to Berton's post.

davidhk, May 10, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Please read my post #4 again.

There are 2 ways to upgrade :
    1. Using Windows Update. That requires Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1

2. Using downloaded ISO file. That does NOT requires Win 7 SP1 or Win 8 Update 1.

Whether the installer file " will be very large " or not is another matter. It can be done and it has been done.

davidhk, May 10, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I was expanding on my first reply.

BunnyJ, May 10, 2016
  12. Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation
    Upgrade editions: Windows 8 (footnote 3)
    3 Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

To go directly from Win8.0 to Win10 you need to upgrade using an ISO
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation 7. To Upgrade to Windows 10 with an ISO file

Get the ISO
    Techbench: Windows 10 ISO Download
    -- OR --
    Media Creation Tool: Windows 10 ISO Download

Slartybart, May 10, 2016
  13. copiman Win User

windows 8 to 10 upgrade

Thanks to everyone for your help. I have an image just in case. I will go to 8.1 first and then go to 10. Again thanks for your input. I actually learned something (student at a technical college for computers and networks).

copiman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

windows 8 to 10 upgrade

1. windows 8 to 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - upgrade

2. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  3. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  4. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 Upgrade Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Upgrade Issue: I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but the PC health check states, "The processor isn't currently supported for windows 11." However, the processor appears in the list of Microsoft Windows 10 22H2 Supported Intel Processors. How can this be that I cannot upgrade if my...
  6. Windows 11 Upgrade Issue

Windows 11 Upgrade Issue: I am trying to upgrade to Windows 11, but the PC health check states, "The processor isn't currently supported for windows 11." However, the processor appears in the list of Microsoft Windows 10 22H2 Supported Intel Processors. How can this be that I cannot upgrade if my...
  7. Windows 11 Upgrade Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 11 now?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 11 now?: I know I have to purchase Windows 10 and upgrade to it, then use the free upgrade to Windows 11, but I don’t know how to safely do this, and where to legally/safely purchase Windows 10.Thanks...
  9. How can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 11 now?

How can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 11 now?: I know I have to purchase Windows 10 and upgrade to it, then use the free upgrade to Windows 11, but I don’t know how to safely do this, and where to legally/safely purchase Windows 10.Thanks...
  10. How to upgrade window 7 pro to window 10 ?

How to upgrade window 7 pro to window 10 ?: Recently i need to install some software and found it not compatible with my osWindow 7 Pro, then i search thought the microsoft Community regarding update to window 10 from window 7 pro. Unfortunately the "Create Windows 10 installation media" not work for my case. i keep...