Windows 10: Windows 8 to 10 via Upgrade Assistant - Stuck on boot

Discus and support Windows 8 to 10 via Upgrade Assistant - Stuck on boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here's what I did - Reset (wiped) a windows 8 laptop - Downloaded the upgrade assistant - Upgrade assistant downloaded, checked and 'installed'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheDeerDude, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Windows 8 to 10 via Upgrade Assistant - Stuck on boot

Here's what I did
    - Reset (wiped) a windows 8 laptop
    - Downloaded the upgrade assistant
    - Upgrade assistant downloaded, checked and 'installed' Windows 10. The laptop automatically restarted to finish doing so.
    - It was installing, it was saying it was 'installing' or updating. It restarted once it was done.
    - Now it's stuck on the boot screen / splash with the ASUS logo. NO text saying what it's doing, no spinning circle.
    - Recovery options don't do anything, I can't "reset" the installation either.

I'm doing this for a friend, no offense but I'm not a fan of Windows 10 ;3; I'd really appreciate some assistance... please help I'm clueless, this is dark magic to me

:)

TheDeerDude, Sep 18, 2016

2. Win 10 resetting this pc stuck at 8%

original title - win 10 resetting this oc stuck at 8%

Been stuck at 8% since 9pm last night 10 hrs and counting is this usual or do I need to do something to resolve it? upgraded from win7 issues booting up so went to rese

cuddlycookie, Sep 18, 2016
  3. win 8 pre installed on laptop

I did free win 10 upgrade. now all of sudden my pc won't boot ,then black screen? won't do a recover? stuck !

[Windows / Windows 8 / Install, upgrade, & activate / Download and install]

JohnMoynihanZF, Sep 18, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Windows 8 to 10 via Upgrade Assistant - Stuck on boot

As you're doing a clean install, I suggest doing it from a bootable USB drive. See the tutorials:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

There is probably a lot more detail there than you need to know. My preferred short version: use the Media Creation Tool to download an .iso for the version of Win 10 that you want. Use the "Rufus" application to produce a bootable USB drive. (I use DiskPart, a command line tool, but it's a little dangerous: you could erase a partition other than the one you want to.) Boot from the USB drive, and run the install from there.

This doesn't identify your problem, but I think that local installs are more reliable than doing it online.

bobkn, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Hello and thank you for your reply!

That is what I would usually do, but I was told that I will need to perform an upgrade first via the Upgrade Assistant and only then I would be allowed to install Windows 10 on this machine without it prompting for a license key which I do not have, since it's an upgrade.

I'm not sure how I feel about wiping the original partitions with everything. My main concern is Windows 10 asking me for a key when I do a fresh install via USB, is that a valid concern?

TheDeerDude, Sep 18, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    The free upgrade offer has officially ended, although it may still be available in some ways.

The original path was to install 10 as an upgrade over an installed and activated qualifying OS (7, 8, 8.1). The November 2015 version offered the direct use of a license key from the old OS to do a clean install of 10. (I never did that myself.) I don't recall the details, but that upgrade path may have continued past the 29 July deadline. Once Windows 10 was activated, all subsequent re-installs on the same hardware are supposed to activate automatically online on the same hardware through a "digital entitlement" that is stored on MS's activation servers. (The hardware is defined by the motherboard, supposedly.)

If you have a Windows 8.x license embedded in your PC's BIOS, a clean Win 10 install may activate. Or not. I hope that someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

bobkn, Sep 19, 2016
  7. Hello and thank you for your reply.

I like knowing how things work, and Windows 10 doesn't like for people to know how it works. The activation is... simple, yet extremely confusing. Simple - because you don't have to do anything, confusing because.. it's hard to understand how it works.

I managed to, thanks to you, create a USB with Windows 10 and do a fresh install. Works like a charm and doesn't ask for an activation key.

Thank you very much for your help

TheDeerDude, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 8 to 10 via Upgrade Assistant - Stuck on boot

1. Windows 8 to 10 via Upgrade Assistant - Stuck on boot - Similar Threads - via Upgrade Assistant

2. Upgrading to win 11 via MS Installation Assistant.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to win 11 via MS Installation Assistant.: I just installed Windows 11 via MS installation assistant. After completing 100% it prompted for restart. During restart my laptop was stuck while loading BIOS so I had to force restart it. Now I am back to my Windows 10, trying to run the same procedure of installation...
  3. Upgrading to win 11 via MS Installation Assistant.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading to win 11 via MS Installation Assistant.: I just installed Windows 11 via MS installation assistant. After completing 100% it prompted for restart. During restart my laptop was stuck while loading BIOS so I had to force restart it. Now I am back to my Windows 10, trying to run the same procedure of installation...
  4. Windows 10 - Boot via USB - Stuck on first screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Boot via USB - Stuck on first screen: Hi All, I'm currently trying to reset my PC, which did not work via Windows 10, so I decided to do this via a fresh USB ISO install. Once Booted into the Windows Setup, I'm not able to go further. Can't see the mouse cursor, can't go anywhere with the arrow keys or any...
  5. Update windows 8 to 10 via USB

Update windows 8 to 10 via USB: Ive been having a lot of trouble with my old computer and im trying to update via USB to windows 10 since its been blue screen for a while. For a while I had little to no progress but am now getting this. Both options result in the same error message. [IMG][IMG]...
  6. Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant: Hello. I'm trying to update to the latest version of Windows 10 with the Windows 10 Update Assistant. It have been downloaded like three times now, in any time I can downloaded all. This last time it still running and is stuck in 99% for the third day now. I NEED to get the...
  7. windows 10 upgrade assistant

windows 10 upgrade assistant: why does windows 10 upgrade assistant lock up my computer? it seems the only way to get my computer running again is to switch off power supply, sometimes have to even remove battery and then replace it....
  8. Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck: You won't find this laptop in either of my specs and falls in the "sure I'll take a look at it" family category. My Nephew's Gateway NE56R48u was being upgraded to 10 when the upgrade hung in one of those moments that the machine needed to restart itself. The screen stayed...
  9. windows 8 to 10 upgrade

windows 8 to 10 upgrade: I have windows 8 (not 8.1) on a laptop. I have ran updates till there are no more important updates. I want to upgrade to 10. I looked at the tutorial (Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup#step6) and it seems straight forward....
  10. windows 10 upgrade assistant.

windows 10 upgrade assistant.: Is there need to keep the windows 10 upgrade assistant? Can one now delete it? Had a rather large upgrade yesterday winver >>>>1607 14393 187 Many thanks once again. 63763