Windows 10: Windows Accessories - Using Xcopy breaks folder symbolic link

Discus and support Windows Accessories - Using Xcopy breaks folder symbolic link in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys I'm using XCOPY to move some icons into the 'Windows Accessories' folder. The 'Windows Accessories' folder true file location is:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AGTDenton, Aug 30, 2018.

1. AGTDenton Win User

Windows Accessories - Using Xcopy breaks folder symbolic link

Hi Guys

I'm using XCOPY to move some icons into the 'Windows Accessories' folder.
    The 'Windows Accessories' folder true file location is:
    C:\Users\UserXYZ\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
    AND
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

When this folder is viewed in the Start Menu and Windows Explorer, the title of the folder is 'Windows Accessories'. When I use XCOPY to move some icons to the true location, it somehow breaks the folder symbolic link. It then displays as 'Accessories' on the Start Menu & Windows Explorer which is its true location.

The problem this then causes is that while you can see 'Accessories' on the start menu, because the way in which the Windows 10 start menu works, it also sees the ProgramData Windows Accessories folder and puts the start menu into a tail spin and the 'Accessories' folder does not work.

My advice is that you try to do this yourself on a test system to see its effects to better understand what's going on.

How could I use XCOPY to not break the symbolic link, or do I just recreate the symbolic link after doing an XCOPY?
    Or is there an alternate to XCOPY I can use that doesn't break symbolic links?

Here is my XCOPY command as a basic example:
    Code: XCOPY "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories" "C:\Users\UserXYZ\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\" /e /h /v /f /Y[/quote] Thanks

:)

AGTDenton, Aug 30, 2018

2. Exclude folder form Symbolic link ?

Can I use Xcopy / Robocopy to create not only a symbolic link but exclude a folder from the symbolic link creation ?

JerometheGiraff, Aug 30, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Exclude folder form Symbolic link ?

Xcopy and Robocopy are not third party apps - they are Windows 10 command line utilities, presumably being used here to make backup copies of user files. I wrote my own .bat file using Robocopy that does full or incremental backups of my user folder to an external or network drive of my choice. I very soon learned the perils of Robocopy and symbolic links...
    The dangers of robocopy and symbolic links

The switch I had to use for Robocopy is:
    /XJD :: eXclude Junction points for Directories.

This one may be of use to @JerometheGiraff:
    /SL :: copy symbolic links versus the target.

You could try combining that with...
    /XD dirs [dirs]... :: eXclude Directories matching given names/paths.
    ...but I'm not sure if that applies to symbolic links.

Get to Know Robocopy for More Powerful File Management
    Robocopy and a Few Examples
    Type Robocopy /? in a command prompt for the full list of options or see:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/...mands/robocopy

Xcopy is far older than Robocopy and dates back to DOS 3.2. It supports the options:

/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...
    Specifies a list of files containing strings. Each string should be in a separate line in the files. When any of the
    strings match any part of the absolute path of the file to be copied, that file will be excluded from being copied. For example, specifying a string like \obj\ or .obj will exclude all files underneath the directory obj or all files with the .obj extension respectively.
    /B Copies the Symbolic Link itself versus the target of the link.

Type Xcopy /? for the full list.

4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Accessories - Using Xcopy breaks folder symbolic link - Similar Threads - Accessories Using Xcopy

2. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  3. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  4. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive that uses symbolic linked directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive that uses symbolic linked directory: I have about 950GB of data stored in OneDrive on my Windows 10 machine. But my disk is only 500 GB. I am able to do this by defining a linked folder from C:\OneDrive that points to a second drive mklink /J C:\OneDrive\NoBackup W:\OneDrive.All works fine until I need to select...
  6. OneDrive that uses symbolic linked directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive that uses symbolic linked directory: I have about 950GB of data stored in OneDrive on my Windows 10 machine. But my disk is only 500 GB. I am able to do this by defining a linked folder from C:\OneDrive that points to a second drive mklink /J C:\OneDrive\NoBackup W:\OneDrive.All works fine until I need to select...
  7. OneDrive that uses symbolic linked directory

8. Syncing folders using symbolic links

Syncing folders using symbolic links: Hi everyone! I have a question about symbolic links on Windows 10. How can I sync folders using the function "mklink" CMD, and point to a folder which already exists, without creating a new folder? is it even possible? Because when I create a symbolic link in that way, it...
  9. Symbolic links inside linked folder

Symbolic links inside linked folder: Hi I'm creating symbolic links of one folder (Missions folder) to server so that the server can load the missions from the linked folder and this works. But the problem is that when I create symbolic links inside the sub folders (of Missions folder) then the server fails to...
  10. Exclude folder form Symbolic link ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude folder form Symbolic link ?: Can I use Xcopy / Robocopy to create not only a symbolic link but exclude a folder from the symbolic link creation ? 80242

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xcopy not working with symbolic link