Windows 10: Windows Activation

Discus and support Windows Activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had to carry out a clean re-install of W10 on my machine. I didn't put in my original activation number during the re-install that came with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Runnerbean, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Windows Activation

I had to carry out a clean re-install of W10 on my machine. I didn't put in my original activation number during the re-install that came with the retail version I purchased a little while ago because it successfully activated first time around.

This time though, it wouldn't activate for love nor money. Various codes kept popping up and directing me to the Store to purchase a genuine copy. Cheeky.....

It was like this for three days so I got in touch with Microsoft support using online chat. I allowed them remote assistance of my PC. It's a gaming PC only, nothing of a personal nature and I could see what he was doing anyway. He couldn't get it to activate either and he tried all manner of ways. In the end, he was putting a slew of commands into Command prompt and eventually my Windows is now Activated.

Problem is, when I go to 'Settings' and check the activation number, the set of numbers is different to my purchased retail number. It's all greyed out accept the last four digits which are different. Did he give me a totally new number? What if I need to re-install again? Do I continue using my original number or just leave it to activate by itself using the new number?

:)

Runnerbean, Nov 23, 2017

2. Can't Activate newly purchased windows 10 home

hi, I used the usb boot tool and installed windows 10S on my laptop. I realized I couldn't download anything not from the app store so I purchased windows 10 home. I was given a product key but it is not accepted in the activation settings. Just trying to
    get this laptop operable.

Thanks

Activation Questionssss, Nov 23, 2017
  3. Upgrading to Windows 10 and Activation issue

Upgrading to Windows 10 for Windows 7

If you are going to upgrade Windows 10 from Windows 7 then you got a issue related Windows Activation.

And i.e. Product Key Blocked.

Now to activate Windows 10 mostly people use KMS Activation that actually activate Windows 10 but not permanently.

Those people use KMS activation go and check that Windows 10 is activated Permanently or not.

To check: -

1) Go and run CMD as Admin.

2) Then Type this command: -

slmgr -xpr

If Windows 10 is not activated then you got this: -

Windows is in Notification Mode.

And if your Windows 10 is Activated using KMS Activator the you got this: -

Expiry Date of your Windows Activation :
    06/june/2016

If you use Genuine Windows Product Key then you got this: -

Machine is Permanently Activated.

So, Activating Windows 10 for Permanently is a issue and there is no Activator that Activate Windows 10 Permanently.

In case of Upgrading Windows 10 for Windows 7 and to activate: -

Buying Genuine Product Key from Windows Store is a only option to Activate Windows 10 Permanently.

Now how to Activate Windows 10 Permanently: -

If you want Permanently Activated Windows 10, then go and install Windows 8.1 and then Upgrade to Windows 10.

Before Upgrading Windows 10 to 8.1 Activate Windows 8.1 using Activator of your Choice (KMS Activator)After Upgrading to Windows 10 go and Activate your Windows 10 online, this will Activate Windows 10 Automatically.

Now go and check Windows Activation detail: -

Open CMD and follow those steps again: -

Type slmgr -xpr

And you got: -

Machine is Permanently Activated...

amit8sharma, Nov 23, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

Windows Activation

We see a few of these posts where MS support goes into witchcraft-mode and nobody knows WTH they are doing...

I wish someone could record visually the process they take in these. Activation keys and installed keys are not necessarily the same with digital - i.e. the activation server will send a digital licence based on eg. a Win 7 key but Win 10 does not have those stored so uses a default key as a place-holder - the key is no longer attached to the licence.

Superfly, Nov 23, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    the last four digits may now match the appropriate generic key.
    Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions

If MS didn't use a generic key then it was 'witchcraft'...

6. Where in settings are you actually seeing a partial product code listed? I can see Device ID and Product ID but neither of those is the actual Product code? What am I missing?

alphanumeric, Nov 24, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    slmgr /dlv

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2017
  8. Windows Activation

I know about that, thanks. It was the OP's "Problem is, when I go to 'Settings' and check the activation number, the set of numbers is different to my purchased retail number." comment that prompted my question. I'm guessing he was looking at the Product ID. Just wondering if something changed and you could actually see your product code by going to a settings screen?

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm also wondering if maybe the OP's is activated, somehow, with a product key only type of activation and not a digital license, and maybe that's causing the activation screen under Update and Security to show a partial product key.

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2017
  10. It's been so long since any of my PC's showed as "activated with a product key" I can't remember if a partial key was shown? Sounds like that might be it though.

11. Superfly Win User
    If he has "different to my purchased retail number" then it should be digital... will be nice to see a screenshot though..

Superfly, Nov 24, 2017
  12. Yes, a screen shot would clear it all up. I suspect he was in settings > system > about and was looking at the Product ID.

13. Superfly Win User

Windows Activation

Hmmmm.. the PID is tied to the pkey though - so will change

Superfly, Nov 24, 2017
  14. To be more clear, I think he thought the Product ID was the Product Code. Even though it has one less group of 5. Just my best guess. Will have to wait and see if they post back with more info.

15. Superfly Win User
    Hmmm ..prob.

BTW.. just noticed you got Guru.. well deserved, bud.

Superfly, Nov 24, 2017
Thema:

Windows Activation

1. Windows Activation - Similar Threads - Activation

2. Activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation key: Hi, Have installed windows on a new PC, have bought a new key on the app store on my windows account, and my new PC says I need a new activation key, error code 0xC0EA000A https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key/63425da1-12a5-4446-bee4-c71ef023c6c2
  3. Activation key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation key: Hi, Have installed windows on a new PC, have bought a new key on the app store on my windows account, and my new PC says I need a new activation key, error code 0xC0EA000A https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key/63425da1-12a5-4446-bee4-c71ef023c6c2
  4. Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer: Hi all - Attempting to get support from Microsoft however no response thus far. I have windows 10 on my previous computer and just finished building my new one. I downloaded windows 10 on my new PC, a few days later the update to windows 11 occured, however it is not...
  5. Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer

Activating Windows 11 after moving from an older computer: Hi all - Attempting to get support from Microsoft however no response thus far. I have windows 10 on my previous computer and just finished building my new one. I downloaded windows 10 on my new PC, a few days later the update to windows 11 occured, however it is not...
  6. I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved": Hi,This FEBRUARY I had a critical error concerning stornvme.sys after upgrading the firmware of my GPU.PC failed to boot past BIOS leaving me unable to boot into safemode or return to a previous confirmed image and as a last resort I reinstalled Windows 10. I immediately...
  7. I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved"

I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved": Hi,This FEBRUARY I had a critical error concerning stornvme.sys after upgrading the firmware of my GPU.PC failed to boot past BIOS leaving me unable to boot into safemode or return to a previous confirmed image and as a last resort I reinstalled Windows 10. I immediately...
  8. Windows 8 pro activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 pro activation: So Lately I boot my old pc to see something and i keep getting the notification to activate the windows with product key and i cannot upgrade it to win 10 or do anything cause of that limitation. I don't know where the key is after all these years so what should i do? TIA...
  9. Windows 8 pro activation

Windows 8 pro activation: So Lately I boot my old pc to see something and i keep getting the notification to activate the windows with product key and i cannot upgrade it to win 10 or do anything cause of that limitation. I don't know where the key is after all these years so what should i do? TIA...
  10. Very odd behavior of Microsoft Phone Link while App is active on phone and computer and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very odd behavior of Microsoft Phone Link while App is active on phone and computer and...: This is very peculiar. Perhaps someone else has observed this behavior. Here is the scenario. I am running Windows 10 on my PC and latest version of Android on my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. I am working on a spreadsheet Excel from Office 2019. I am performing many cuts/copies...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fsx cannot reach activation server 2017