Windows 10: Windows antivirus or other

Discus and support Windows antivirus or other in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have an old netbook called an Eee PC and it had XP on it. I was wondering if the built in antivirus that is in windows would suffice or should I look... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Miss Bad Wolf, May 17, 2017.

1. Windows antivirus or other

I have an old netbook called an Eee PC and it had XP on it. I was wondering if the built in antivirus that is in windows would suffice or should I look for a free antivirus or try to buy a paid one?
    I know I need to fill the specs out on my profile but will try to do that tonight I think

:)

Miss Bad Wolf, May 17, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Do you know why your Karsperky (or other antivirus) site advisor doen't work with Edge and you have to switch to IE?

Pretty clever marketing, huh?

Virtually every anti-virus program works very well with Windows 10. What doesn't work are the optional, additional features that anti-virus software likes to include. Like a separate browser for banking, or a utility that marks up your search results. These
    additional features need extension support, and Microsoft Edge won't have that until the middle of 2016 (unless the date slips again.)

Those additional features are totally unnecessary. I disabled all that fluff and Kaspersky 2016 works great on Windows 10.

Next time, instead of making posts with multiple punctuation marks, stop and think: What's the full story here? A few minutes on the web would have given you all the information you were looking for.

If all that security theater is important to you - and there's certainly nothing wrong with it - then switch to a browser that supports extensions, like Chrome or Firefox. You should avoid Internet Explorer because it's getting old quickly, and was included
    in Windows 10 for the sake of companies that have custom software that only runs on Internet Explorer.

BulldogXX, May 17, 2017
  3. BRCjr Win User
    Do you know why your Karsperky (or other antivirus) site advisor doen't work with Edge and you have to switch to IE?

Edge does not yet allow Browser Extensions and IE does. Reason Why.

BRCjr, May 17, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Windows antivirus or other

It depends on the type of browsing you do. If you're a "normal browser" then Windows Defender is perfectly adequate. But if you download torrents, you might want something a bit more advanced.

swarfega, May 17, 2017
  5. Avast Free (Custom setup - Minimal Protection) or 360 Total Security Essential.

Windows Defender or any paid AV would most like bring it to its knees with all the features.

TairikuOkami, May 17, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    I find Avast is too intrusive and bloaty these days.

swarfega, May 18, 2017
  7. Privacy related: Disable Cyber Capture & Reputation Services & Sharing Personal Info
    Detection & setup & forget: Enable PUP, Hardened & Silent Mode / Set popups to 1 sec

TairikuOkami, May 18, 2017
  8. Windows antivirus or other

So did I... Back in the day it was my go to software, before they added what I personally consider useless things to it. I use Windows Defender along side Malwarebytes Premium these days and feel safe but I don't do anything sketchy either. LOL

mickey12gauge, May 19, 2017
  9. Edward Win User
    I use ESET IS on my gaming PC because it doesn't slow my machine down.

Edward, May 19, 2017
  10. Yeah , I don't recommend Avast anymore either. Sadly as I used it for years. Panda's cloud A/V is extremely light on system resources and has been very good for me. (And I DO go to some very dodgy sites *Redface ) Its free too btw.

indianacarnie, May 19, 2017
  11. Panda is great, but it requires a reliable and fast connection, not WiFi, since it is purely cloud based.

TairikuOkami, May 19, 2017
  12. Megan444 Win User
    I heard about Panda, but haven't tried it. Actually, I have a fast connection on my PC, so maybe it is a good choice for me.

Megan444, May 20, 2017
  13. Windows antivirus or other

I use wifi as my room is on on one end of the house and the modem is on the other side

Miss Bad Wolf, May 20, 2017
  14. Bat 1 Win User
    Bat 1, May 20, 2017
  15. It is an eee pc 900hd but it had xp on it but I have upgraded it.

Miss Bad Wolf, May 20, 2017
Thema:

Windows antivirus or other

1. Windows antivirus or other - Similar Threads - antivirus

2. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus will not install on their own. I have to manually check for updates for them to install. Until then, my windows computer will not go into hibernation mode....
  3. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus install issues: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus will not install on their own. I have to manually check for updates for them to install. Until then, my windows computer will not go into hibernation mode....
  4. Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...: I can't the update and have a download error - 0x80070002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-security-intelligence-update/add704d4-2999-4231-89af-320230679300
  5. Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...

Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...: I can't the update and have a download error - 0x80070002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-security-intelligence-update/add704d4-2999-4231-89af-320230679300
  6. Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus: Hi!Title is pretty self explanatory, I'm getting a blue screen when trying to use my antivirus to do a quick scan. I also have a separate issue where I cannot play games for more than a couple minutes without crashing with a persistent error.Here are the crash logs of the...
  7. Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus

Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus: Hi!Title is pretty self explanatory, I'm getting a blue screen when trying to use my antivirus to do a quick scan. I also have a separate issue where I cannot play games for more than a couple minutes without crashing with a persistent error.Here are the crash logs of the...
  8. Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. How do I install Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I install Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.407.521.0 - Current Channel Broad has been popping up in my Updates for months now. Every time I click download & install, it downloads and installs ... No Error message, sometimes it even...
  10. How do I install Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...

How do I install Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.407.521.0 - Current Channel Broad has been popping up in my Updates for months now. Every time I click download & install, it downloads and installs ... No Error message, sometimes it even...