Windows 10: Windows App Desktop Shortcut Icons Blank

Discus and support Windows App Desktop Shortcut Icons Blank in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I created shortcuts for my most used Windows 10 apps/tiles to my desktop, but some of the shortcuts have blank icons. I re-copied some and they stuck,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by minpro, Sep 8, 2015.

1. minpro Win User

Windows App Desktop Shortcut Icons Blank

I created shortcuts for my most used Windows 10 apps/tiles to my desktop, but some of the shortcuts have blank icons. I re-copied some and they stuck, but a few others are still blank after several retries. i.e. Scan and Store are blank but Calendar, Calculator, Photos, Weather and Alarms have the correct icons. Thanks for help.

:)

minpro, Sep 8, 2015

2. Blank file explorer icon.

Fix Blank or White Shortcut Icons on Desktop

Once in a while, the shortcut icons on the Windows desktop may suddenly been changed or became blank or ‘white paper’ icon, where supposedly the icons should be colorful and customized in style and color. It’s as if the icon for the shortcut has been removed
    or unassigned, and been replaced with default blank icon in white.

The bug happens whenever there is corruption in icon cache database. For example, in Windows 7 pre-RC release, a network connection or broadband connection shortcut’s icon placed on desktop by user manually will go haywire and turn into blank default icon if
    there is another third-party program places an icon on desktop later.

In order to fix the problem where shortcut icons turn to blank icon, try to refresh or rebuild the cache database for icons. There are many system management software utilities that may reset the icon cache db automatically, but here’s how to reset the icon
    cache db manually.

To refresh and reset the icons cache, go to the following folder:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\

To see the hidden AppData folder, go to Organize -> Folder and Search Options ->
    View tab, and select Show hidden files, folders and drives, and uncheck
    Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Once inside the folder, delete IconCache.db. Create a new file named IconCache.db, and set it to
    Read Only attribute in Properties (if the file is not read only, the cache won’t be reset). Then restart the computer. Remove the Read Only attribute of IconCache.db file, and the icons cache will be refreshed. The step will restore the desktop
    shortcut icons to their lawfully icons.

Reference: Fix Blank or White Shortcut Icons on Desktop « My Digital Life

Charivel Palisoc, Sep 8, 2015
  3. TrevorBr Win User
    Calendar and Mail app has missing icon in Windows 10

Recently my calendar and mail apps have blank icons on my desktop, no new updates have been installed. My screen flashed once and now the icons don't appear. The apps will still open and the icons do appear in the taskbar. What could cause the shortcut
    icons to be missing on the desktop?

TrevorBr, Sep 8, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

I have a similar problem. When I create shortcuts on the desktop or start menu (I'm using Classic Shell if this matters) some have no icon, just a white square. This happens if the icon chosen is the first one of the icons embedded in the executable. If I change the icon to the second or anything else, I can see it normally. If I chose the first icon again, I see a white square. This happens only in some applications, not all and also in one or two third-party controls in desktop Control Panel. I have found a workaround, that is to copy the executable like original.exe and original - copy.exe If I change the shortcut icon to take the first one from the copy, it works OK. If I try to take the first icon from the original, I get the white square again! Does anyone knows why is this bug? The workaround works, but it isn't very convenient to have duplicate files just to display the shortcut icon correctly! Any other solution, registry fix maybe?

Thank you in advance.

spapakons, Oct 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows App Desktop Shortcut Icons Blank - Similar Threads - App Desktop Shortcut

2. Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!: My pc ran well since I bought it. All the desktop icons stood the same until I installed the torrent app. Along with it an external antivirus app has been installed as well. I didn't notice it until it appeared in the chrome extensions. The app was RAV endpoint protection....
  3. Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!: My pc ran well since I bought it. All the desktop icons stood the same until I installed the torrent app. Along with it an external antivirus app has been installed as well. I didn't notice it until it appeared in the chrome extensions. The app was RAV endpoint protection....
  4. Desktop blank icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop blank icons: So suddenly my desktop icons went blank and I don’t know how to fix it, any help would be appreciated… https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-blank-icons/ad4378f9-61cf-40ac-898c-600196925ea8
  5. Desktop blank icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop blank icons: So suddenly my desktop icons went blank and I don’t know how to fix it, any help would be appreciated… https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-blank-icons/ad4378f9-61cf-40ac-898c-600196925ea8
  6. Deleting desktop shortcuts leaves a broken shortcut with a blank icon, doesn't disappear...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting desktop shortcuts leaves a broken shortcut with a blank icon, doesn't disappear...: Does anyone know what's causing this problem? If I delete a desktop shortcut it returns after the computer goes to sleep as a blank icon with the same name. If I try to delete it again file explorer will give me an error saying that it can't be found. The only way to make the...
  7. All Windows Apps Icons blank on the Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    All Windows Apps Icons blank on the Desktop: Hi, So all my Windows Apps icons are blank on my desktop. They are ok in the task bar and on the start menu and even when searching but on the desktop they are all blank. I noticed this because I have Xbox game pass and the icons suddenly stopped showing up. I have attached...
  8. Blank Icon on top of all my desktop shortcuts

Blank Icon on top of all my desktop shortcuts: So after I did a onedrive backup of my desktop and deleted it afterwards all my Icons look like this: https://imgur.com/a/5jBEJkb New shortcuts I add also look like this submitted by /u/DuckyyyyTV [link] [comments]...
  9. Desktop Icons are blank.

Desktop Icons are blank.: So, i recently installed an M.2 NVMe and reinstalled windows etc.. it had some bumps but was fine, i deleted some stuff off of my SSD because i cloned my HDD and when i booted my PC up the next day.. *most* (not all) of my icons are just blank sheets of paper.. i have deleted...
  10. Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?: Hi! I just got a new laptop the other day, and for some reason all of my app shortcut icons have changed to a plain white document icon. See below: [img] Why did this happen and more importantly, how do I fix it? For convenience and aesthetic purposes. iTunes is the only...