Windows 10: Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly?

Discus and support Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! Just a thought after wasting days of troubles with Windows 10. And I am talking troubles that are probably not even troubles but just a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Win10usr, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Win10usr Win User

Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly?

Hi all!

Just a thought after wasting days of troubles with Windows 10. And I am talking troubles that are probably not even troubles but just a cause of Windows as a service. The thing is, Windows 10 is extremely eager to phone home after logging in / starting the first time on a new day. Of course there is telemetry, but also it searches for as well Windows updates as well app updates. I never use any app from the store, but of course there are the obligatory apps that must ge update, if you want or not. Sometimes they can't update and generate weird errors. Somehow, the app update process is connected to Windows update, if an app update fails it says that a Windows update failed. That looks troublesome, unless you dig in the log files and find out the real cause. You can't expect that from a normal end user. It's just too complex.

The last couple of days I restored about 20 times a - luckily relatively small - image on my work laptop. Just because I was desperately trying to find the reason of a repeating 'severe update error'. After 3 days the error just dissappeared. That's when I found finally out what was really going on. Probably some overloaded or crashed Microsoft server far away. That shouldn't have ANY influence on the starting of MY computer, in my humble opinion. But obviousely Microsoft thinks different.

The thing is, I see many posts from people with problems afer obligatory updates etc. I switched to business branch, but even then you can't really avoid updates (delaying is an option, but that's also temporary). I think Windows as a service is a total fail. Everytime my computer runs ok, a new briliant forced update from Microsoft ruins something new. Maybe we should all start complaining loudly to the source of all troubles. Wish the old days of Windows 7 would return. Just a thought. Wonder what others think about it all.

And yes: I know tools like Macrium are great. But I can't go on with restoring images because an update messes up things every time again. Maybe I shouldn't look at the Windows logs. Maybe I should just continue until it all collapses. But that's a whole new way of approaching a computer.

Are we slowly seeing the end of Windows, at least for home (and home working) users? It's way too heavy and pushy for everyday use for most people. Looking at myself, I also use an iPad more and more. In fact, I am typing this on it. Just because I don't want to switch on a laptop, go through the whole boot-phone home-update-etc procedure every time again. I have such a feeling that in about five years Windows is so compex and heavy that it's of no interest for a generation that is used to press a button and start using their device. Whether that is a tablet, phone, smart tv or even a laptop with a non-Windows OS. Or am I just nagging?

Just a post to discuss and philosophise about! *Wink

:)

Win10usr, Jul 5, 2017
  2. jeet2ss Win User

Cannot sync iPhone to iTunes after Windows 10 upgrade

I agree Microsoft has done nothing in over a year to fix the sync issues with iTunes. This is unacceptable extremely poor customer service.

jeet2ss, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Zoombrowser and windows 10

I've successfully run zoombrowser using Windows 7 compatibility (since installing Windows 10) but since the latest update to 10, zoombrowser does not run under any of the options. Extremely disappointed that Microsoft AND Canon both have such poor customer
    service.

SusanNorris-Jones, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

First, I completely disagree with you. Windows Update and Windows Store (UWP) app updates have never caused any issues on any of my W10 machines, physical and virtual.

If you do not need any Windows Store apps, why do you install Windows 10 with them? Simply do a clean install without Windows Store and Windows default apps.

Quoting myself in another thread:

Kari, Jul 5, 2017
  5. Win10usr Win User
    Absolutely true. However, removing some of the standard apps can have weird consequences. Also, when Windows get a big upgrade, you have to repeat the procedure. The thing is: it should be the other way around. Why can't I simply choose to remove those apps? Most people will not be able to do it. You have to think also about the less tech-savvy people. Yeah, I know, I defend my opinion Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly? :)

also, be honest. Check the large amount of problems people have with Windows 10. Browse through the Tenforums, and you see that many of those problems have to do with updates and upgrades and the consequences of those...

Win10usr, Jul 5, 2017
  6. Win10usr Win User
    Hi!

I just want to show you an example, just happened after starting my computer. In the logs, I see this error (see below, first line on top of the picture shows the error Event ID etc). Great. How should I interpret that as an end user? What I understand is that an application setting can't be written to OfficeHub. I have Office installed, so why is GetOffice (which is OfficeHub, as far as I understood) still there and generating errors? I assume (hope) it doesn't mean anything serious. Don't think so, because once in a couple of months this error appears. But can you understand why I have big question marks spinning above my head sometimes?

You are an insider. Can you maybe explain to me what I should worry about and what I can safely ignore? If you know, you might really help a lot of people! Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly? :)

Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly? [​IMG]

Greetings!

Win10usr, Jul 5, 2017
  7. vram Win User
    What infuriates me are the unwanted app installs that happen during a new account creation, even active directory, domain connected accounts. Yes, I know about GPOs and the PS commands but the point is that it's not something that should even be bothering an admin. All they did was create yet another thing to manage.

I have no issues with 10 otherwise.

vram, Jul 5, 2017
  8. Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly?

But does nothing to reduce the hours (if not days) to rebuild the system following a clean install. A clean install is not a trivial undertaking if the computer has lots of programs install ... especially if those programs require customization.

A clean install is a big deal for many people. (I've had to do 5 of them since Win 10 was released. It's not something I will do again unless absolutely required.)

pokeefe0001, Jul 5, 2017
  9. Win10usr Win User
    That is EXACTLY what I an many others worry about. I use my laptop for working from home. It has only the bare necesseties: MS Office, Thunderbird Mail, PaintShop Pro, Lightroom, Firefox, Snagit, Winrar, Kaspersky, Goodsync and Macrium. That's really about it. Even then, this all together is still 50+ GB of installation. Set up perfectly for the work I do. It costs days to arrange that. Exactly that is why I am worried about weird errors etc. But I can't keep restoring images every other day. I also understand that an OS generates errors now and then. But the sad thing of Windows is that many errors are generated by unnessesary parts. Like apps, an app store, Telemetry and so on. Yes, there are ways to remove things via the command line. But why so complicated and risky?

I even paid (a lot) extra for an upgrade from home to pro. Still all this stuff is there. The internet is full of instructions to block and remove things. Tools that are pretending to do it etc. But I prefer to have a reliable option from a reliable source: Windows itself. Not a tool from mr Chang in Farawayland, from a company no one ever heard of. It's about that.

Win10usr, Jul 5, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    I wonder which version is being complained about here?

Windows as a Service is not here yet. The Insiders amongst us will verify that the delivery is far from perfected yet.

Fafhrd, Jul 5, 2017
  11. Win10usr Win User
    Hi!

Microsoft itself is communicating Windows 10 as 'Windows as a service'... See for example Overview of Windows as a service (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs. So that's why I used that description too. But for me you can call it 'forced updates' too, or whatever you like. Especially home users have no way to escape them, the Pro-version gives a little relief. But not that much Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly? :)

But what do you describe as Windows as a service? Because I have the feeling you use it for something different, right?

Win10usr, Jul 6, 2017
  12. MS made it perfectly clear, users should not disable Windows Updates and that is that, if you do, you do it at own risk. Besides you can tweak Windows from within, without using any 3rd party tools, they are just made to make it easier. Disabling Windows Updates, by simply disabling tasks, removing store apps using a command and etc. With an each upgrade, 10 is getting better and the junk will no longer re-install by itself or change your settings upon upgrade. Then again, upgrade is not an update, it is basically a reinstall, that is the reason, you still need to remove some stuff afterwards.

Do you have any problems? Event logs are meant to help to solve problems, if you do not have any, there is no reason to bother with them. I have solved event log errors by disabling event logging. *Smile

TairikuOkami, Jul 6, 2017
  13. Win10usr Win User

Yeah I know. Sometimes it just gives me the creeps. I know I shouldn't look. But... it's like with horror movies...

Win10usr, Jul 6, 2017
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    Which version was that Win10usr?

Fafhrd, Jul 6, 2017
  15. Win10usr Win User
    Right now I am on Creators Update, after last weeks' surprise update. Don't remember the exact number, but it's completely up to date. Or do you mean the version they were talking about in the link I gave? That I don't know... What I understand from Windows as a service, Microsoft considers it like 'streaming updates', so what they are doing now.

I use Win 10 Pro, set at at the Business branch (since Creators Update) in matter of updates. If that is any help for you...

Win10usr, Jul 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows as a service extremely customer unfriendly? - Similar Threads - service extremely customer

2. Customer service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customer service: My computer was hacked need to speak to someone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customer-service/dc9da1d5-54d9-4890-ada6-f632d8135e97
  3. Customer service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customer service: My computer was hacked need to speak to someone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customer-service/dc9da1d5-54d9-4890-ada6-f632d8135e97
  4. Customer service?

Customer service?: My hp laptop logged me out, due to a update, and now I am required to login in but I forgot my password. I cannot reset my password because the device I am logged in on for that email verification is the device the update logged me out of. What should I do?I also called the...
  5. Extremely poor customer service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extremely poor customer service: I continue to be shocked by the lack of customer support from Microsoft. When I arrange for a customer support phone call, it is not identified as Microsoft but as some unknown telephone number. Also, if I arrange for an online chat, the email confirmation lacks information...
  6. Extremely poor customer service

Extremely poor customer service: I continue to be shocked by the lack of customer support from Microsoft. When I arrange for a customer support phone call, it is not identified as Microsoft but as some unknown telephone number. Also, if I arrange for an online chat, the email confirmation lacks information...
  7. Customer Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customer Service: I have been trying to get my laptop out of S Mode since 9am this morning. It is now 3pm. First with HP, now with Microsoft. I have done all the normal steps found in the forums and quick Google searches. I’m currently wiping my laptop and will just have to start from scratch...
  8. Customer Service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Customer Service: I have been trying to get my laptop out of S Mode since 9am this morning. It is now 3pm. First with HP, now with Microsoft. I have done all the normal steps found in the forums and quick Google searches. I’m currently wiping my laptop and will just have to start from scratch...
  9. customer service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    customer service: I need to know is there a way to get in touch with a person at Microsoft. My mother is having this problem trying to login to her computer for about two months now and we can't figure it out. If I could talk to a human we could fix it in five minutes. I've read all the...
  10. Customer Service

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Customer Service: I have a desktop linked up to an old Microsoft account that we no longer have access to. The desktop has updated itself and is asking for the password to this old account. The only options it gives me is to send an email to this same account I cannot access. Ive called 3...