Windows 10: Windows Asking for Product Key I Don't Have

Discus and support Windows Asking for Product Key I Don't Have in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I completely cleared a old PC and installed Windows 10. I had downloaded the ISO and burned it on a disk. I installed it on the PC, and during the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kamel, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Kamel Win User

Windows Asking for Product Key I Don't Have

I completely cleared a old PC and installed Windows 10. I had downloaded the ISO and burned it on a disk. I installed it on the PC, and during the installation it asked for a key. I clicked the "Skip" button. Now after I shut it off and back on, in the bottom right corner is says to activate windows in the settings. I go to the settings, and I says I have a bad key. I click on "get new key" and it asks for my current key. I don't know what my current key is. It said that since I installed with a disk (it thinks this is a purchases verison of 10) I should have a key on the package. I don't have any Activation Keys! Help ASAP!

:)

Kamel, Aug 29, 2015

2. Windows Asking for Activation Key I don't have

How can I get back to windows 7?

KamilBaycora, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Windows Asking for Activation Key I don't have

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides (or the manufacturer's Web Site) for instructions. Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.

If you don't have that option then I assume you have a Windows 7 DVD whereby you can install Windows 7 and then update it to SP1 level. You need to have Windows 7 SP1 on your machine to qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Linney, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Hello, Kamel. Welcome to the forum.

Windows 10 is only free as an upgrade. What OS did you wipe?

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Kamel Win User
    I had Windows 7, but it was broken and didn't let me install anything.

Kamel, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Tony K Win User
    Oh? Broken so far as how?

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Kamel Win User
    I cleared the PC when I installed windows 10 with the cd. Windows 7 being broken isn't the problem. Can you help me with the problem?

Kamel, Aug 29, 2015
  8. satchmo Win User

I did the same thing.

You need to reinstall Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10. After you have activated Windows 10 online, you then do a clean install.

satchmo, Aug 29, 2015
  9. Tony K Win User
    Windows 7 being broken is a problem. Wiping it caused a bigger problem.

As Satchmo just stated; You can only get an activated 10 by upgrading from 7 SP1 first. Once that's achieved, then you can fresh install ad infinitum.

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Kamel Win User
    1. How do I get back to windows 7?
    2. Am I still able to use Windows 10 w/o having the activation key?

Kamel, Aug 29, 2015
  11. Tony K Win User
    Does your laptop have a recovery partition or recovery disks that came with it or that you made upon very first boot?

Windows 10 will never activate and personalization is blocked in it by fresh installing.

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  12. Kamel Win User
    It wouldn't install if I had the partitions still there. I had to delete both partitions and chose the now empty drive. It wouldn't let me just chose the empty drive w/o deleting.

So 10 w/o activation is still usable? Will it be usable after the 1 year of free upgrade?

Kamel, Aug 29, 2015
  13. Tony K Win User

You couldn't have deleted an OEM (Manufacturers) partition using any Windows tools if there was one. It's impossible.

Sorry, but I can't answer your other questions.

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  14. Tony K Win User
    @Kamel

If you still have your 7 keys you might order recovery media from the OEM to reinstall 7, then SP1 update, and then upgrade to 10. I think that's the best you'll do.

And make sure 7 is activated before upgrading to 10.

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  15. Antilope Win User
    System specs that you filled in say you have a laptop. Have you checked under the battery for a Windows 7 license key label? Or on the bottom of the laptop? That's where Windows 7 license key labels are usually placed on a laptop.

Antilope, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows Asking for Product Key I Don't Have - Similar Threads - Asking Product Key

2. I don't have a product key for Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have a product key for Windows.: I need to activate a copy of Windows but don't have the product key. Can I buy the product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-a-product-key-for-windows/0a136a17-d81d-4771-9293-73690b1b1ebb
  3. I don't have a product key for Windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't have a product key for Windows.: I need to activate a copy of Windows but don't have the product key. Can I buy the product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-a-product-key-for-windows/0a136a17-d81d-4771-9293-73690b1b1ebb
  4. I don't have a product key for Windows.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. I don't have a product key for windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have a product key for windows 7: Windows 7 missing products key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-a-product-key-for-windows-7/fb53be5c-7b6b-46d1-bbd1-665e3171611f
  6. I don't have a product key for windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't have a product key for windows 7: Windows 7 missing products key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-a-product-key-for-windows-7/fb53be5c-7b6b-46d1-bbd1-665e3171611f
  7. Windows 10 product Key. Don't ask me for the product key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 product Key. Don't ask me for the product key.: Hi everyone! I am installing Windows 10 in a PC's friend ... and she had a hard disk with Windows 10 but I have installed a new ssd and I have a new key producto to install Windows 10. Well, I have been installed from 0 Windows 10, apart of the other one in this new ssd and...
  8. I don't have a Windows Product Key!

I don't have a Windows Product Key!: Okay, so it's a long story for how I got this computer but essentially the person it belonged to didn't want it so it was given to me. I had NOOO idea about the product key business until my computer started telling me that my windows was going to expire soon. What do I do??...
  9. I don't have a digital license or product key for windows

I don't have a digital license or product key for windows: I am unable to activate my windows 10 pro due to not having access to a digital licence or product key, I purchased this laptop used and not refurbished, windows had to be reinstalled and I was not informed of the location or access of the digital key, there was no product...
  10. I don't have a product key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have a product key.: There's this annoying watermark that says Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate windows. I checked it out and it seems I need a product key which I don't have. I tried trouble shooting but it said it can't activate copy of windows, try again after connecting to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows setup i dont have a product key

2. how do i activate windows 10 home in a device whereby the os was already installed

3. win 10 asking for product key that i dont have