Windows 10: Windows audio/ interface issue

Discus and support Windows audio/ interface issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use my pc as a DAW Studio. I have a Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB audio interface. It works very well with all things audio on my pc - until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jshep0102, May 1, 2017.

1. jshep0102 Win User

Windows audio/ interface issue

I use my pc as a DAW Studio. I have a Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB audio interface. It works very well with all things audio on my pc - until Friday. I installed Sonarworks room calibration software to finish flattening my room acoustics out. This explanation is lengthy and complicated - be forewarned...

I believe (via Matt from Universal Audio) Sonarworks gets it's audio from the Windows audio WDM Drivers, and not the drivers from my interface which uses ASIO drivers (see pic 1). In the software, it asks for an input source the calibration mic is plugged into. The only option is the line level from the Twin USB (see 1st pic). The window showing the signal level shows no signal - it's not getting there. Windows audio does not show the microphone inputs, only 'line level' from the Twin USB (see pic 2). In making the changes to Windows audio Matt lays out below, the bit rate can't be changed in Windows audio recording window (see pic 3). In the recording window, it says 'no jack information available'. Further, I see no way to select the default microphone on the mobo...

The following is my conversation with Matt, where he gives me info on making changes to Windows audio playback and recording windows, and my response to the attempt to do so...

Me: I've had a Twin USB working very well with Win 10, Sonar Platinum, and Studio One 3 for a couple years on a i7 4790k with a ASRock Z97 Pro4 and 16 GB RAM. I picked up Sonarwork and their mic for speaker calibration. I went in to set the audio input for it, and found that only the Line was an option from the Twin USB. I used my Slate VMS preamp to change the XLR mic to 1/4" and plugged into channel one and set it to line. I get signal in both DAWs and 5 different standalone software titles. But, even set to line (which is what Sonarworks sees, no signal is present. See pics attached, please.
    I reached out to Sonarworks regarding this as well, but a few audio savvy people I know are saying it's an issue between Windows audio and the Twin USB. I know I've never changed Windows audio settings. Would the initial install of UAD/Console 2 have made changes where I can't see the mic inputs (or even the default built in mic) in Windows?

Matt: Off the bat, installing the UAD software does not affect the other audio drivers on your system in any way, so that wouldn't be the cause of your built in input not showing up in the Windows sound preferences. In the "Recording devices" window, I would suggest right clicking and selecting "Show Disabled Devices" in case the built in input got inadvertently disabled.

Regarding the Apollo Twin's inputs being labeled "Line" in the Recording devices tab of Windows sound preferences - this is purely cosmetic and doesn't actually indicate that only the Twin's line inputs can be used. In other words, it's just what Windows chooses to call these inputs for whatever reason. In reality, the first mic and line input on the Twin USB share the same driver channel and the second mic and line input on the Twin USB share the same driver channel so it's not possible for an audio application to distinguish between the mic and line inputs via the Apollo Twin's drivers. Rather, whether "Input 1" in the Apollo Twin's driver is mic or line depends on whether or not you have the first input on the Twin set to MIC or LINE either via the Apollo Twin hardware or the Console application. When set to MIC, signal is taken from the XLR input, and when set to LINE signal is taken from the 1/4" TRS input on the corresponding channel.*

So the issue here isn't that those inputs are labeled as "line", but rather that the signal coming into the Apollo Twin isn't making it into Sonarworks for some reason.*

It sounds like Sonarworks uses WDM drivers (i.e. the drivers that show up in the Windows Sound preferences, which are separate from drivers that show up in a DAW application) so the first thing I would check is that the WDM sample rate set for the Twin USB in the Windows Sound preferences matches the sample rate set in the Console application. Here's how you do that:

1. First open Console and note the sample rate set at the bottom.*

2. Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your desktop and select "Playback devices". In the Playback devices window, select the Apollo and then click "Properties". Go to the "Advanced" tab in the window that appears and use the "Default Format" drop down menu to select the correct sample rate (i.e. the sample rate selected in Console). While you're on the advanced tab, uncheck both "Exclusive Mode" options.

3. Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your desktop and select "Recording devices". In the Recording devices window, select the Apollo and then click "Properties". Go to the "Advanced" tab in the window that appears and use the "Default Format" drop down menu to select the correct sample rate (i.e. the sample rate selected in Console). While you're on the advanced tab, uncheck both "Exclusive Mode" options.

When this is complete both the Playback and Recording sample rates for the Twin USB in the Windows Sound preferences should match the sample rate in Console, and all four of the Exclusive Mode options for the Twin USB should be disabled (two at playback devices > Apollo > properties > advanced and two at recording devices > Apollo > properties > advanced).*

So, it seems there are 3 issues in that 1) Windows does not see all my input options from the Twin USB 2) that the sample rate in Windows audio is at 24 bit and can't be changed to 16 bit - my interface is set to internal and 3) I am unable to reset the bit rate to 16 bit/44.1. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shep

:)

jshep0102, May 1, 2017
  2. David7084 Win User

I run my audio interface within 5 minutes the interface disconnects and windows tells me that there is an error.

Original Title: Audio interface.

I have a behringer FCA1616 USB audio interface running Cubase 5.1 and everytime I run my audio interface within 5 minutes the interface disconnects and windows tells me that there is an error and then it won't work until I restart my computer. when I reboot
    it does it all over again. I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall device driver nothing has worked so far. How can I fix this issue?

David7084, May 1, 2017
  3. gordon_j Win User
    Windows 10 Audible Buzz When using Balanced or Performance Power Mode

Having the exact same issue with the exact same audio interface and speakers.

The proposed solution does not work because the test does not work for USB audio interfaces such as this.

Please advise, thanks.

gordon_j, May 1, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

I have studio, using Cakewalk Sonar and an MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid interface.

I don't have much to add. I don't use it. I've seen some posts about Sonar works on the Cakewalk Sonar forum but nothing about having any problems. Have you tried posting on the gearslutz forum? That might get you more help than this forum since its a recording forum. The music computers section would be my suggestion.
    Music Computers - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

I found this current thread about Sonarworks on the gearslutz forum. Look it over in case there is something useful for you.
    Sonorworks reference correction for system audio - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

fireberd, May 1, 2017
  5. jshep0102 Win User
    Thanks much for chiming in, firebird. I posted here because I think it's a Windows issue. I have a ticket open at Sonarworks, at UA, and talking on the UA forums, too. It's been quite the debacle. Every audio software I have sees all my ins and outs except SW. I understand now that Sonarworks works with direct sound drivers. That may be a problem...

jshep0102, May 1, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    Keep in mind Windows doesn't have to "work" or "accommodate" the program, the program must be "compatible" with Windows. Thus its up to the application program to work within the constraints of the Operating System. A comparison would be your car; for example if you had a Ford and you wanted to install an add on part not made by Ford, Ford does not have to be compatible with the part, the part must be compatible with the Ford.

fireberd, May 1, 2017
  7. audiomutt Win User
    The way in which Windows handles audio has always seemed a little clunky to me.... luckily there always seems to be a workaround. It might be too late for you Shep so I'm adding this just in case it can help others. I downloaded the HiFi Cable ASIO BRIDGE from VB Audio to solve the problem - VB-Audio Virtual Apps

Also posted a quick description with pics in UAD forums - Twin USB and Sonarworks - Page 2

audiomutt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows audio/ interface issue - Similar Threads - audio interface issue

2. Laptop with interface issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop with interface issue: I have a laptop that has issues with the screen. Once the laptop is powered up, the screen goes off and on at random. There appears to be power going through the monitor but not getting input from the CPU. It looked like issues with the track pad. Tested theory with an...
  3. Audio interface issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio interface issues: Hey how’s it going ,So I’m running an acer all in one With windows 8.1 I connect my art pro 2channel audio interface Installed the drivers all good and everything Opened my daw And. Noticed it wasn’t picking up any sound from my condenser mic neither was my mixer Now just...
  4. Audio interface issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio interface issues: Hey how’s it going ,So I’m running an acer all in one With windows 8.1 I connect my art pro 2channel audio interface Installed the drivers all good and everything Opened my daw And. Noticed it wasn’t picking up any sound from my condenser mic neither was my mixer Now just...
  5. Audio issues with interface Behringer Umc202hd/0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio issues with interface Behringer Umc202hd/0: Hi Everyone,Recently I purchased a behringer umc202hd. It is connected by a USB cable into my laptop which powers the device, and sends the audio from my laptop.I also have my Xbox plugged into the device. There are two Yahama HS5 speakers and a subwoofer connected to the...
  6. Windows 10 update caused audio interface issues

Windows 10 update caused audio interface issues: Windows 10 update last night i can no longer playback audio through my audio interface. It doesn;t show the interface as a choice for output. The interface does show as an input so it does see it. Interface is Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The drivers are current....
  7. problems with audio interface

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    problems with audio interface: hi, I have a problem with my audio interface (Behringer u-phoria UMC22), I can only listen to audio, but my mic doesn't work (or the other way around in some occasions). I have tried; - plugging it in another USB port, - removing and reinstalling drivers/ USB controllers,...
  8. Presonus Studio 26C audio interface compatibility issue on Windows 10

Presonus Studio 26C audio interface compatibility issue on Windows 10: Good day, I'm using a Presonus 26C Audio Interface and Presonus Studio One as my Digital Audio Workstation DAW. When I try to run the audio interface using the Windows Audio drivers, it runs fine. However, when I try to run the audio interface using the native drivers...
  9. Audio interface problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio interface problems: I just got a apogee one audio interface, and when I start recording in Streamlabs after a while the microphone (shure sm58) stops outputting audio. But the wierd part is that Apogee’s software still shows mic activity. This happens on all applications. submitted by...
  10. Interface Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Interface Issue: I got this problem recently when I started my computer and it showed to select a boot device ,which did not appeared earlier . I booted on , and my right click was not working , I clicked on start menu and that was also not working ,nothing on my taskbar was opening . only...