Windows 10: Windows automatically connects to open WiFi networks

Discus and support Windows automatically connects to open WiFi networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, On my PC there are multiple networks visible. A part of this list are open networks. The only stored network is my home network and for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JHM011, Aug 3, 2018.

1. JHM011 Win User

Windows automatically connects to open WiFi networks

Hi,

On my PC there are multiple networks visible. A part of this list are open networks. The only stored network is my home network and for some reason my PC automatically connects to open networks. These networks are not remembered and I cannot find the functionality to disable the automatic connect to open networks anymore (i think that this is removed in one of the Windows 10 recent updates). Could someone tell me how to disable the connection to open networks on my PC? I think that the automatic connect to open networks is an insecure feature in Windows 10.

:)

JHM011, Aug 3, 2018

2. Keeps connecting to an open WiFi that's not on the "known" list

I've got a weird problem I can't figure out:

New Surface Book running Windows 10. Every time it boots, it connects to "xfinitywifi" (an open WiFi access point apparently belonging to a neighbor). This AP has "limited connectivity", though, so no internet access (and I don't want to be connected to it, anyways!).

I've previously connected to my home WiFi, and this is the only network listed in my "Manage known networks" list. When I manually "disconnect" from xfinitywifi, Windows automatically connects to my home WiFi. For some reason, though, on boot up, it automatically connects to this open network (despite being set to NOT connect to open networks), and it prefers this open network over my (secured) known network.

I have disabled the "Wi-Fi Sense" "feature".

Any ideas?

awesomesauce, Aug 3, 2018
  3. Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

To further explain this question, let's start with a comparison between the steps you've outlined vs what I am seeing elsewhere. Your steps do provide the list of wifi networks that I use and are secured. However, when I click on the network symbol on
    the lower right of the desktop screen (sorry, don't know what to call this area), it shows other networks that probably belong to the neighbors. Some of them are checked to 'automatically connect. I don't want to automatically connect to them. How can those
    networks be permanently unchecked for 'automatically connect.' It cannot be permanently done on this list. Thanks, Joyce

JoyceMcDonald0133, Aug 3, 2018
  4. tmork Win User

Laptop unable to automatically connect to university wifi

Hello,

as the Title says, ever since upgrading to windows 10, my laptop will not automatically connect to my university wifi. It simply says (translated from german) "connection to this network is impossible".
    to bypass this issue i have to go to the "known networks" list and make my laptop forget the university wifi network.
    after that i can manually connect to the wifi and it prompts me to type in my id and pass as it is supposed to, then it logs me in. It is (obviously) a public network, so i suppose its got to do something with security settings, but i didnt find anything that would seem to solve the issue.
    things ive tried:
    • change frequency of 802.11 to 20MHz only (from automatically).
    • enable FIPS encryption.
    • Update my network adapters drivers.
    • manually type in the id and pw in the specific networks settings

the thing is, when i had win7 on this laptop it would always autoconnect to this network, it only happened after installing win10.

edit: fixed typo in title

tmork, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows automatically connects to open WiFi networks - Similar Threads - automatically connects open

2. WiFi connecting automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi connecting automatically: I noticed recently that all the wifi networks in my area are selected to "connect automatically" even though I don't know any of them. When I do go through and uncheck the setting, it'll automatically check it again. What should I do?...
  3. WiFi connecting automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi connecting automatically: I noticed recently that all the wifi networks in my area are selected to "connect automatically" even though I don't know any of them. When I do go through and uncheck the setting, it'll automatically check it again. What should I do?...
  4. wifi network automatically disconnected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi network automatically disconnected: my pc sometime wifi network automatically disconnected. previously i used windwos 7. it's not this problem. now i am using windows 10. i updated my device latest version. i changed my wifi router. but problem still have....
  5. WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks: I've seen other people ask this same exact question as far back as 2013 and it appears Microsoft are well aware of thissecurity flaw and have no interest in addressing it as I've yet to find a response which resolves this. Many replies don't even appear to comprehend the...
  6. Connect to a WiFi network automatically

Connect to a WiFi network automatically: Hi everyone! I was wondering if I could connect to a WiFi network A automatically even though I'm already connected to another WiFi network B. The thing is, that network A is very unstable but is faster than B, and when A goes down, Windows 10 connects automatically to B....
  7. wifi network connection

wifi network connection: My wifi connection was working fine until I setup my printer canon TS3122, now my wifi network doesn't even show up on "available networks" all I see is no connection/proxy symbol. I have tried resetting my router and network reset. please help I am not computer savvy....
  8. Wifi Not Automatically Connecting

Wifi Not Automatically Connecting: Hi, I recently installed windows10 pro 64-bit edition on my wifes laptop (legally) with authentic key. I've already updated the driver for her wifi adapter, upon startup most of the time it fails to automatically connect to our wifi signal. When it does it shows the the...
  9. Network with wifi connection

Network with wifi connection: Good day.. I need help with my computer I am accommodated at a place that has wifi but my computer only stays connected for like 10 seconds …. and when you stream something or are on Netflix it needs you to troubleshoot it and then it only stay connected for like 10 seconds...
  10. PC connects to someone elses open network automatically.

PC connects to someone elses open network automatically.: Hi, my computer keeps logging me in to a open network first, I then have to disconnect to log into my own. How can I stop this from happening?...