Windows 10: Windows Backup will not backup credentials.

Discus and support Windows Backup will not backup credentials. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to backup a laptop and transfer the contents to a new laptop. Using Windows Backup I end up with "Partially backed up". The credentials are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Grant Parker, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Windows Backup will not backup credentials.

I'm trying to backup a laptop and transfer the contents to a new laptop. Using Windows Backup I end up with "Partially backed up". The credentials are not backed up. I get a "Verify your Microsoft account to back up credentials - You need to verify your identity before credentials can be backed up. Go to settings" When I do so I end up in Windows/Settings/Windows backup. On this screen there is no place to verify the Microsoft account you verify my identity. All options on that screen are turned on. What am I missing?

:)

Grant Parker, Jun 13, 2024
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jun 13, 2024
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Windows Backup will not backup credentials. [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jun 13, 2024
  4. Guitar Win User

Windows Backup will not backup credentials.

Windows Backup Problems

Having a problem backing up Windows 7, need help. Basically, I am having the problem in which the backup will not create at all and fails at the shadow copy. This happens in Windows Backup using both the disk image backup and the personal file backup. It goes to maybe 5%-8% of Shadow Copy depending on the backup type and fails. The error that comes in event viewer is 0x81000019. Yes the disk is brand new and double the size of C:.

I tried the fix of making a new 490mb system reserve partition and that did not help (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/fce6950d-c06d-4dd0-a850-67022db4fe04) I formatted the disk several times and that didn't help. I tried a third party program, Comodo backup, and that too failed to operate I would say based on the shadow copy service. I tried this fix as well (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...aac-a0af-4740-a331-2b14d604a846?prof=required) and I failed at the regsvr32 es.dll, regsvr32 msxml3.dll, regsvr32 msxml4.dll commands, and WMI Writer when using the vssadmin list writers command was not responding. I've also tried stopping and restarting the service.

Besides doing a manual backup using Acronis, which is not preferred at this point, I don't know how to fix this.

Guitar, Jun 13, 2024
Thema:

Windows Backup will not backup credentials.

1. Windows Backup will not backup credentials. - Similar Threads - Backup backup credentials

2. Windows Backup will not backup credentials.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup will not backup credentials.: I'm trying to backup a laptop and transfer the contents to a new laptop. Using Windows Backup I end up with "Partially backed up". The credentials are not backed up. I get a "Verify your Microsoft account to back up credentials - You need to verify your identity before...
  3. Windows Backup will not backup credentials.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup will not backup credentials.: I'm trying to backup a laptop and transfer the contents to a new laptop. Using Windows Backup I end up with "Partially backed up". The credentials are not backed up. I get a "Verify your Microsoft account to back up credentials - You need to verify your identity before...
  4. How to backup apps in windows backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup apps in windows backup: Hello.I want to back up apps, but it says partially backed up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-apps-in-windows-backup/ffad8b8f-3c77-4243-9057-ac0372bb088b
  5. How to backup apps in windows backup

How to backup apps in windows backup: Hello.I want to back up apps, but it says partially backed up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-apps-in-windows-backup/ffad8b8f-3c77-4243-9057-ac0372bb088b
  6. Check your network credentials for windows backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check your network credentials for windows backup: Is it possible to set this not to expire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-your-network-credentials-for-windows-backup/c32465a0-8b1b-454f-9390-2ca505fa7e3d
  7. Check your network credentials for windows backup

Check your network credentials for windows backup: Is it possible to set this not to expire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-your-network-credentials-for-windows-backup/c32465a0-8b1b-454f-9390-2ca505fa7e3d
  8. Check your network credentials for windows backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. backup to network drive asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    backup to network drive asks for credentials: I'm getting ready to create a system image of my wife's computer. I wish to put it on a logical drive partition on an external drive that is connected to my computer and shared through our home lan. We are both hardwired to the LAN through ethernet. I can access it from her...
  10. Windows 10 Backup of all credentials (Web and Windows Credentials).

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Backup of all credentials (Web and Windows Credentials).: I recently had to migrate from one of my PCs to another as my HDD failed. I had various sites that I had forgotten passwords but did not want to reset them due to the number of devices I had already saved the passwords. I would like to know if, like Windows 7 in the Control...