Windows 10: Windows BCD error/ "Total Identified Windows installations: 0/ Windows 10 automatic repair loop

Discus and support Windows BCD error/ "Total Identified Windows installations: 0/ Windows 10 automatic repair loop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Please help me, no matter what I do it seems like everything keeps getting worse. It started one day when I wanted to switch back to Windows 7. Had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Lullabi, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Lullabi Win User

Windows BCD error/ "Total Identified Windows installations: 0/ Windows 10 automatic repair loop

Please help me, no matter what I do it seems like everything keeps getting worse.

It started one day when I wanted to switch back to Windows 7. Had got my CD and put it in my computer to start the installation (had to boot on the CD) but I got an error during the copying windows part, error 0x80070017. Deciding to go back onto my computer and google how to fix the problem, my computer started the windows automatic repair loop when I tried to. Going on my phone to search for ways to fix that problem now I came across something about how to fix it with BCD. When I had tried that solution and it didn't work, I tried going back to my windows 7 installation disk, only to find that it couldn't detect any operating system, tried again to fix that problem and now when I boot up my computer I see a black screen that tells me:

File: \Boot\BCD

I used my little sister's computer to make a USB with windows 10 on it (using the media creation tool) and tried to use that, but it didn't work because it couldn't detect an operating system? (I don't know if that is really why it takes me to a screen where it tells me about patents and Realtek PCIe, where it says "Operating system not found") and of course, the windows 7 disk is no help.

I don't know what to do anymore, I know i've made things so much worse than it was before, I just really need to get my computer back even if I lose all my files.

:)

Lullabi, Aug 22, 2018
  2. Yorchi5m Win User

Total identified Windows instalations: 0

1. First Start System Recovery Options. To start system recovery options.

a) Boot from the disk, Once you get the welcome screen of installation with the option “Install now”

b) Click on Repair your computer

c) On the next page click on Advanced Options

d) Now click on Troubleshoot

e) Lastly click on Command prompt and follow the on screen instructions

2. At the prompt, type the bootrec command as shown below and then press Enter:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

4. Since the BCD store exists and lists a Windows installation, you'll first have to "remove" it manually and then try to rebuild it again.

At the prompt, execute the bcdedit command as shown and then press Enter:

The bcdedit command is used here to export the BCD store as a file: bcdbackup. There's no need to specify a file extension.

The command should return the following on screen:

Meaning the BCD export worked as expected.

5. At this point, you need to adjust several file attributes for the BCD store so you can manipulate it.

At the prompt, execute the attrib command exactly like this:

After the "attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s"

It gives me an aswer "path not found"

How can Ifix this?

[Original title: Total identified windos instalations: 0]

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate]

Yorchi5m, Aug 22, 2018
  3. o_ryry Win User
    Can't boot Windows 10, UEFI bootloader GPT partitioned system drive. Tried bootrec (Total identified Windows installations: 0)

Hi, I am trying to help a friend repair her son's computer so I don't have a lot of context as to what happened prior to this issue, but I will try to be as comprehensive as I can in describing what steps I've taken so far.

Initial Observations

This is a Windows 10 PC, with a 2 TB disk. It is UEFI enabled and GPT partitioned. Computer boots up and immediately begins
    Preparing Automatic Repair. The computer reboots without going to the Choose an option menu and boot-loops through this sequence.

Method 1

• F11 to force boot options menu
    • Boot into local disk recovery partition
    • Launch cmd prompt in recovery environment
    • Commands issued:
      • bootrec /fixboot
        • The operation completed successfully.
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd
        • OUTPUT: Total identified Windows installations: 0

Method 2

• Created recovery drive on my own Windows 10 PC
    • Booted problem PC with the recovery drive
    • Attempted startup repair multiple times (no luck)
    • Attempted bootrec commands again (no luck)

Method 3

I attempted the solution suggested
    HERE
    . At step 5, I got this error:

Path not found - C:\boot

So I changed the operations for steps 5 & 6 to target the system recovery volume on the disk:

o_ryry, Aug 22, 2018
  4. RCoon Win User

Windows BCD error/ "Total Identified Windows installations: 0/ Windows 10 automatic repair loop

RCoon, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows BCD error/ "Total Identified Windows installations: 0/ Windows 10 automatic repair loop - Similar Threads - BCD error Total

2. Ive done everything but total identified windows installations identified is still 0. Is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ive done everything but total identified windows installations identified is still 0. Is...: Running Windows 11 Home Version 23H2 on Dell Inspiron AIO 5490 AIO. BIOS Mode UEFI and up to date.Total identified windows installations: 0 after using bootrec /rebuildbcd or bootrec /scanos command in Windows Recovery Environment. Ive done everything recommended online to...
  3. Total identified windows installations: 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total identified windows installations: 0: Hello,After following the solution in this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/total-identified-windows-installations-0/52359f87-de4a-41dc-b0c3-cc275e1d9fbf?page=1I reach step 6 and this error shows up:X:\Sources>ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.oldA duplicate...
  4. Total identified windows installations: 0

Total identified windows installations: 0: Hello,After following the solution in this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/total-identified-windows-installations-0/52359f87-de4a-41dc-b0c3-cc275e1d9fbf?page=1I reach step 6 and this error shows up:X:\Sources>ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.oldA duplicate...
  5. Total identified Windows installations: 0

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Total identified Windows installations: 0: Hi,Attempting to repair a laptop I bought with Windows 7 installed, which then updated to Windows 10 until it shut down 2-3 months post the update and has been unable to reboot since. I was able to follow all instructions included in Vijay B's Jan 14, 2014 response to similar...
  6. Total identified Windows installations: 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total identified Windows installations: 0: Hi,Attempting to repair a laptop I bought with Windows 7 installed, which then updated to Windows 10 until it shut down 2-3 months post the update and has been unable to reboot since. I was able to follow all instructions included in Vijay B's Jan 14, 2014 response to similar...
  7. Total identified Windows installations: 0

8. Total identified Windows installations: 0

Total identified Windows installations: 0: When i type: ren c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s , i always get this message A duplicate file name exists or the file cannot be found. Also when i type: bootrec /rebuildbcd , it occurs this error total identified windows installations: 0 ....
  9. Total identified Windows installations: 0

in Windows 10 Support
    Total identified Windows installations: 0: Hello, Yesterday my system froze up and restarted itself (after a brief flash of a warning that I didn't get to read in time), giving me a BSOD every time I try to boot ever since, with the error codes 0xc000000f or 0xc000000e. Also the message "The Boot Configuration Data...
  10. Total identified windows installations 0 and repeat BCD problems

Total identified windows installations 0 and repeat BCD problems: Hello. My Asus laptop has been running on Windows 10. A few months back, it started crashing regularly once every 1-2 weeks citing 0x00000e, 0x00000e9 or 0x00000f errors. I've trobleshooted and found that my crashes was due to a BCD error. So everytime it crashes, I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootrec /rebuildbcd total identified windows installations 0

2. total identified winsows installatiin:0

3. vhdx gpt total identified windows installations 0