Windows 10: Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed

Discus and support Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, In the last month or so I've had an issue where Windows seems to think, depending on what the pointer is focused on, the up button of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Usual-Suspect, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed

Hi,

In the last month or so I've had an issue where Windows seems to think, depending on what the pointer is focused on, the up button of the keyboard is pressed. Everything works as per normal but if, for example, I click on the Power button of the menu, a white box is cylcing between the available options, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown. This mimics what happens when a direction arrow is pressed but if I go on a website using a browser it's fine and I can move up and down the page with no issues, so that makes me think it's a red herring. It only seems to affect any of the Windows activities. If I turn the keyboard off or remove the bluetooth dongle, the issue remains. Turn the mouse off, the issue remains. Only a reboot cures it temporarily.

Is it something that I do that causes it? Well, it can happen in the middle of the night. I wake up to find the computer has woken up before me and it has the issue.

All I can think of that has happened is that I've installed Visio and applied the Windows updates as a when they occur.

Anyone offer and tips or has experienced anything like this?

Cheers

:)

Usual-Suspect, Aug 10, 2018

2. num key 3/pgdn key behaving erratically in windows 10

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience as mouse and keyboard not working fine after upgrade to Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to connect external keyboard and mouse and check if they are working.

If external keyboard and mouse is working, then follow the below:

Method 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Method 2: Try to update/install the drivers in compatibility mode on Windows 10.

Step 1: Uninstall and update keyboard driver.

Steps to uninstall keyboard driver:

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Uninstall.

Steps to Update the keyboard driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software.
    Also, try to search for the drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

Step 2: Uninstall and update mouse driver.

Steps to uninstall mouse driver:

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse driver and click on
      Uninstall.

Steps to Update the mouse driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse
      driver and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 3: Now, I suggest you to start the device in Normal mode to check if the issue persists.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • Under General tab, check mark Normal start-up and click on
      Apply and on Ok.
    • Now select Restart.

Also, try to search for the mouse
    drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Windows Spotlight- pressed "like" instead of "dont like"

Hi Villar,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

• Do you wants to change the lock screen picture?
    • Are you making these changes in the Microsoft account?

I suggest you install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

You can turn off the Windows Spotlight feature and then turning it back on and check

Step 1: Right-click on the desktop and then click Personalize to open Personalization category of Settings.

Step 2: Click Lock screen

Step 3: Under Background section, select Picture or slideshow option from the drop-down box.

Step 4: Press windows key + Lock.

Step 5: login back again and follow the same steps from 1 to 3 and change back to Windows spotlight and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 10, 2018
  4. manofthem Win User

Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed

Booting without press any key

@dhievm go ahead and list the model number that gives exact specs/info.

Does it stop right at the Toshiba logo and sit there? Will it sit forever til you press a key, or will it eventually work after so long?

manofthem, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed

1. Windows behaving like the Up key is pressed - Similar Threads - behaving key pressed

2. Enter key behaves like shift+enter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter key behaves like shift+enter: When doing anything, like typing in Word or typing into the Google search bar, my Enter key doesn't do what it normally would do, like creating a new paragraph in Word or searching in Google. Instead, it acts like shift+enter. This also happens with the on-screen keyboard....
  3. Enter key behaves like shift+enter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter key behaves like shift+enter: When doing anything, like typing in Word or typing into the Google search bar, my Enter key doesn't do what it normally would do, like creating a new paragraph in Word or searching in Google. Instead, it acts like shift+enter. This also happens with the on-screen keyboard....
  4. Why is my PC behaving like this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my PC behaving like this?: 1. My PC is behaving like it's terminally ill. When I open a folder containing some video files on average 6 x 3 GB one of two things happen. Either the folder opens and it's blank for about 3-4 seconds and then it populates or it opens and shows all the files and then one by...
  5. Why is my PC behaving like this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my PC behaving like this?: 1. My PC is behaving like it's terminally ill. When I open a folder containing some video files on average 6 x 3 GB one of two things happen. Either the folder opens and it's blank for about 3-4 seconds and then it populates or it opens and shows all the files and then one by...
  6. Why is my PC behaving like this?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. When i press H key of my laptop windows start behaving abnormal

in Windows 10 Customization
    When i press H key of my laptop windows start behaving abnormal: Actually when i press h key of my laptop , like in the browser or anywhere in my laptop then 1.I wouldn't be able use the keyboard further whatever i type it didnt get typed and 2. Task manager closes up everytime i try to open it. 3.Start menu also do the same thing like it...
  8. right arrowkey works like pressing the windows key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    right arrowkey works like pressing the windows key: So as i stated my right arrowkey works like pressing the windows key. Furthermore my backspace deletes until the last space.I've tried changing language and all but nothing seems to work.Please help,Aitch...
  9. HDD behaving like an SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD behaving like an SSD: i have a thinkcentre m93p tiny with a i5-4570t low voltage processor, 4gb ram and also a hdd which is HGST725032A7E630. The system is 7 years old now . it came with windows 8 but i upgraded it to win10.........but with win10 i am running kaspersky antivirus. The computer is...
  10. System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System behaves as if CTRL key was permanently pressed: I don't know what to do, it's been happening since about a week and a half but today it got worse than ever, happening every 2 minutes or so for about 5 minutes. I am on a laptop if that helps. I tried the laptop keyboard, 2 usb keyboards and a bluetooth one, all with the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows keeps acting like up is pressed