Windows 10: Windows Boot and Windows on different drives

Discus and support Windows Boot and Windows on different drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before installing Windows 10 I clean reinstalled my Windows 7 onto a new SSD but inadvertently left my BIOS boot drive as my old HDD. Now I find that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DaveMa, Feb 12, 2016.

1. DaveMa Win User

Windows Boot and Windows on different drives

Before installing Windows 10 I clean reinstalled my Windows 7 onto a new SSD but inadvertently left my BIOS boot drive as my old HDD. Now I find that I have my windows 10 boot files in the HDD and the rest of the OS on the SSD, so I am still dependant on that old HDD. It's quite old, and I tried to swap it out to a new HDD but found this issue.

I've tried BootRec /RebuildBcd, BootRec /FixMbr and BootRec /FixBoot, rebooting the PC between each, but without success. I want to make the SSD bootable, what have I missed?

:)

DaveMa, Feb 12, 2016

2. Dual boot on different drives (Windows 7/Windows 10)

This is how Windows licensing has always worked.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 12, 2016
  3. Dual boot on different drives (Windows 7/Windows 10)

Oh, thank you for your reply.

It's too bad I will have to purchase a full license for win 10... I thought my license for win 7 entitled me to get a regular copy of win 10 that I could install wherever I wished.

Then I think I'll stick to good old 7 for some time yet....

Regards

Giovanni di Fazio, Feb 12, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Install Macrium Reflect Free and create a Rescue usb stick or dvd.

Disconnect hdd.

Boot into Rescue Drive.

Select Restore tab.

Click 'fix windows boot problems'

Click next, finish and it will rebuild boot sectors in correct drive.

Then you can reinstate hdd and delete old boot partition.

cereberus, Feb 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Boot and Windows on different drives - Similar Threads - Boot different drives

2. Will not boot from a different drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will not boot from a different drive: I am on Windows 10. I originally had two drives, a storage ssd and a smaller boot ssd. I just installed a brand new m.2 in my machine, and installed windows on it. I tried to format my original boot ssd afterwards, but to no avail. The new drive boot into Windows once upon...
  3. Will not boot from a different drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will not boot from a different drive: I am on Windows 10. I originally had two drives, a storage ssd and a smaller boot ssd. I just installed a brand new m.2 in my machine, and installed windows on it. I tried to format my original boot ssd afterwards, but to no avail. The new drive boot into Windows once upon...
  4. Will not boot from a different drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual Boot Windows 10 On Different Drives

Dual Boot Windows 10 On Different Drives: I would just like to get confirmation on whether it is possible or not to dual boot two Windows 10 installations on separate drives with the same boot manager. For information I have tried using bcdedit and EasyBCD, and it works flawlessly on two partitions on thesame...
  6. Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot from Windows drive after removing different drive: Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K OS: Win 10 64 Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo Graphic Card TURBO-GTX1080-8G SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe x2 Having a bit of a head-scratcher here... I have two M.2 NMVe 2TB hard drives in my...
  7. Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB. I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD. The...
  8. Windows 10 operating system & boot drive on different drives...

Windows 10 operating system & boot drive on different drives...: Windows keeps installing boot drive and operating system onto different drives... Is there any way of installing boot and operating system onto one hard drive without disconnecting all the other hard drives internally? What are the pro's and con's of this configuration?...
  9. Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives

Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives: Issue: after installing Windows 10 UEFI on Hard drive, I can't boot anymore on Windows 7 UEFI (SSD). My main system, W7 UEFI, is on a SSD. I would like to have a backup system on a different drive (HD) in case my SSD fails so I can be up and running without losing any...
  10. System/Boot files on different drives

in Windows 10 Support
    System/Boot files on different drives: New to these forums and hoping someone can help with my issue. I have a homebuilt machine that had Win7 ultimate running on a 150GB HDD. I cloned it some time ago to a 500 GB HDD. Then I changed to Win10 Pro (first upgraded to Win8 and then immediately to Win10) and all...