Windows 10: Windows Boot Screens – What should I see? – How long should they last?

Discus and support Windows Boot Screens – What should I see? – How long should they last? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I start my computer, I see the following screens in order: 1. A black screen with a big Dell logo on top and spinning white dots on the bottom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by radiowaves, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Windows Boot Screens – What should I see? – How long should they last?

When I start my computer, I see the following screens in order:

1. A black screen with a big Dell logo on top and spinning white dots on the bottom
    2. A plain black screen
    3. A blue screen with spinning white dots and the words "please wait" underneath them
    4. A lock screen for the Pin/Password
    5. Finally, the desktop

Screens 2 and 3 vary in length of time. They last the longest in the days after a Windows update. Then they disappear more quickly. Is this behavior normal?

:)

radiowaves, Dec 3, 2017

2. How long should the install and upgrade take.

I created the windows 10 iso from the media creation tool. I then burned the ISO to DVD, and while logged into my fully patched Windows 7 I ran the install. I started the install, the download was started and I had to leave at about 67%. When I came back
    about 5 hours later, the install was at a screen with my first name on it, a blank avatar symbol above my name, with the windows image displayed to the right, and under my name is a spinning icon. The icon spins for about 10 seconds, then the screen flashes
    and the spinning starts over.

This has been going on for about 12 hours, I was wondering if this was normal, why is it normal, how much longer should it take. If this isn't normal, then what should I do?

J Kyle Heath, Dec 3, 2017
  3. windows 10 96% how long should I wait?

Hi

I have seen a number of posts for this problem but no answer as to how long to wait. Microsoft (on their pages) say at 96% the installation is backing up files and not to turn off. Typically how long should I have to wait. The drive windows 10 should be
    installed on is 240GB. The installation was fine and went to 95% and then 96% but It has been stuck here for 4hours now.

Any thoughts would be welcome

PS why are there not more (any) informative messages on screen during the installation to put peoples minds at ease?

Thanks in advance

RobCharlton, Dec 3, 2017
  4. Windows Boot Screens – What should I see? – How long should they last?

Pretty normal in my experience. I have pretty much the same experience as you do with my work PC. The "Please wait..." screen is the most variable, with it taking longer after an update cycle.

I don't think that you have much to worry about. It's just Windows doing some housekeeping. If the screens take five minutes or more, then it can be a cause for alarm, like a symptom of a failing hard drive, for example.

Gurn Blanston, Dec 3, 2017
  5. The blue “Please wait” screen with the white spinning dots is the most variable for me too. I don’t recall seeing it until I upgraded from v1703 to v1709. Is it something new for v1709?

radiowaves, Dec 3, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, it replaces what was just an extended period of your '2. A plain black screen' (with a mouse cursor, if you'd move the mouse). Always had me worried that it had crashed (that's why I moved the mouse, to see if anything was working). I think MS realised it could be worrying some of us so put a reassuringly animated 'please wait' sign instead. *Smile

This stage is actually longer than before, due I believe to 1709's new feature that certain registered apps will reopen on next boot if you left them open when you shut down. Try it and see: Chrome, IE and Wordpad reopen, Firefox, Edge and Notepad don't.

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

Bree, Dec 3, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Mine lasts at most a whole eight seconds from boot to the login screen. It really depends on what the OS has to do for housekeeping, how fast is the hard drive, if you are using a SSD, how fast it is. Also what does the OS have to load before you even get to the login screen. If you have your Malware or Internet Security program set to scan on boot, that can also halt and give you a clocking before you get to the login.

bro67, Dec 3, 2017
  8. Windows Boot Screens – What should I see? – How long should they last?

Thanks Bree. Good to know. Incidentally, if I add the Macrium Reflect boot menu option it shows up as the second screen (between 1 and 2 on the above list.) The other screens remain the same.

radiowaves, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Boot Screens – What should I see? – How long should they last?

1. Windows Boot Screens – What should I see? – How long should they last? - Similar Threads - Boot Screens –

2. Should I be seeing Windows Boot Manager as an App?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Should I be seeing Windows Boot Manager as an App?: I just got hacked a while ago from downloading a suspicious app and I am currently recovering from it. However, when I got hacked there appears to now be an app in my Startup that’s called WindowsBootManager which was made the same time I got hacked, I’m worried that it may...
  3. Should I be seeing Windows Boot Manager as an App?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I be seeing Windows Boot Manager as an App?: I just got hacked a while ago from downloading a suspicious app and I am currently recovering from it. However, when I got hacked there appears to now be an app in my Startup that’s called WindowsBootManager which was made the same time I got hacked, I’m worried that it may...
  4. Should I be seeing Windows Boot Manager as an App?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How long should system restore be?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long should system restore be?: I’m on my laptop and I’ve tried restoring it to a restore point. From what I’ve read it should take 20-45 minutes but my one has taken an hour and still hasn’t finished and if this isn’t supposed to happen how do I fix it....
  6. How long should chdsk be waited for?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long should chdsk be waited for?: I ran chkdsk /r C: because of some issues and it's been stuck for numerous hours at 100% done. I'm just wondering at what point should I just pull the plug and see if anything is fixed/more broken submitted by /u/Grakchawwaa [link] [comments]...
  7. How long should my battery be lasting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long should my battery be lasting?: submitted by /u/tails618 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hytr0s/how_long_should_my_battery_be_lasting/
  8. Should I be seeing artifacts?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Should I be seeing artifacts?: I bought a new EVGA 1080 graphics card and artifacts pop up and disappear a few times per day. Nothing major but noise here and there. Never happened with my old graphics card (EVGA 660) on the same computer (I upgraded my graphics card recently). The only change (which is...
  9. How long should I expect my router to last?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How long should I expect my router to last?: I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but what is a realistic router lifespan? I've had my netgear router for about 5 years now ... and I love it, it's so reliable, the dual band wifi is very decent, the firmware is rock solid, it never needs...
  10. How long should I stay at the " just a moment " screen?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long should I stay at the " just a moment " screen?: I've been stuck here for about 30 minutes. I did set up the Win 10 preview on another laptop (this one) and I don't remember it taking so long. In fact I'm using that and Explorer to type this. What should I do next, try to reboot and use the Win ten preview USB to "Repair"...