Windows 10: Windows bootloader lost after SystemRescueCD

Discus and support Windows bootloader lost after SystemRescueCD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; System: Windows 10 Pro (clean install, not an upgrade), UEFI only, ASRock H170M Pro4. C drive is 512 GB SSD, E drive is 1 GB HD. Not dual boot. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by docGlenn, Jun 5, 2018.

1. docGlenn Win User

Windows bootloader lost after SystemRescueCD

System: Windows 10 Pro (clean install, not an upgrade), UEFI only, ASRock H170M Pro4. C drive is 512 GB SSD, E drive is 1 GB HD. Not dual boot.
    I created a SystemRescueCD USB drive, with intent to use it for Spinrite.
    After USB drive was created, but before Spinrite config, I decided to boot into it just to see what it showed me.
    It showed me a grub boot failure, because it was looking for /syslinux, but this version of SystemRescueCD only contained directory /isolinux.
    You'd think this was no big trouble, but when I rebooted to my default Windows C drive, I got the GRUB bootloader! Apparently just running the defective USB drive it decided to overwirite my boot config.
    I then used my original Win10 DVD. I booted to it and to my surprise, it brought up my current Win10 desktop. So all is not lost.
    I tried a reinstall, but it seemed confused about something and only allowed me to choose a total clean install - I would lose all my data.
    Next tried bootsect /nt60 SYS or C: No luck, it says Access denied.
    Next tried bcdboot c:\windows /s c:. It seemed to finish OK, but still boots into broken GRUB.
    diskpart tells me that my C drive starts in Volume 2 and there are 3 partitions:
    System Reserved, NTFS, 500 MB, System
    C, NTFS, 475 GB, Boot
    No name, no type, 469 MB, this is the recovery partition
    This disk should be GPT, correct? I installed Windows 10 clean on a virgin SSD drive.
    I see some excellent information in this forum, esp. thread# 73748. Here I see suggestions to try Kyhi's Recovery Tools and Macrium Reflect or maybe Easy UEFI.
    What's in the System Reserved partition? I'm guessing this is where my repair will occur. I want to be rid of GRUB and get back to plain Windows. Obviously I want to leave the C (Windows) partition alone. I have enough space on another drive to completely copy the C partition. Should I? And how would I do that?
    What next steps would you recommend? Thank you!

:)

docGlenn, Jun 5, 2018

2. Files lost after Automatic Repair

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to refer the link provided below and check if it helps.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 9, 2018
  3. Videos lost

Hi Michael,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused, now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

• How did you install Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article and check if it helps.

Find lost files after the update to Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 9, 2018
Thema:

Windows bootloader lost after SystemRescueCD

1. Windows bootloader lost after SystemRescueCD - Similar Threads - bootloader lost SystemRescueCD

2. Windows bootloader gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows bootloader gone: HI, since i updated to windows 11, the windows bootloader option disappeared from my bios options to boot. I have dual boot with ubuntu and the only way to access windows is by the grub. I want to uninstall Ubuntu, but i'm afraid it can cause trouble. I've tried repairing the...
  3. Windows bootloader gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows bootloader gone: HI, since i updated to windows 11, the windows bootloader option disappeared from my bios options to boot. I have dual boot with ubuntu and the only way to access windows is by the grub. I want to uninstall Ubuntu, but i'm afraid it can cause trouble. I've tried repairing the...
  4. bootloader repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bootloader repair: i have problem with windows bootloader since i installed it on external linux drive. I want to run the startup repair tool, but I need to sign in to my Microsoft account to proceed. when he enters his password, he tells me that it is incorrect, and it is correct because I can...
  5. Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader: Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it affected my bootloader . Without doing a clean install is there a way to restore the bootloader which is relatively...
  6. Clover Bootloader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clover Bootloader: Hiya, I am going to install clover bootloader whilst clean installing windows 10 for BIOS UEFI (but the BIOS UEFI are 32-Bit). So after I have set up the partitions (shift + F10 before installing windows) from command prompt - please note the automatic set up of partitions...
  7. Metro Bootloader

Metro Bootloader: I just did a dual boot with windows 10 and windows 7 and all I get is the black and white bootloader. Before I partitioned my drive and installed windows 7 I had the Metro bootloader with my windows 10 and Macrium Reflect but after installing windows 7 on the new partition...
  8. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB

Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...
  9. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...
  10. No Bootloader for windows 10

No Bootloader for windows 10: Hello! Alright i desperately need help. When i installed windows 10 I had a separate drive attached with an installment of Windows 7. Now that i want to return that drive to the original owner my drive with Windows 10 installed on it refuses to boot because my motherboard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. systemrescuecd windows backup restore