Windows 10: Windows boots on secondary monitor

Discus and support Windows boots on secondary monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm having an issue were the bios splash screen/Windows will boot up on the secondary monitor and then will go to the main so i can login.. i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BrandonR188, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Windows boots on secondary monitor

Hello,

I'm having an issue were the bios splash screen/Windows will boot up on the secondary monitor and then will go to the main so i can login.. i find this to be annoying and not only that.. it gives me an issue where if i alt tab out of my games.. it claims i have no signal with my displayport.. my main is using display port and my secondary is HDMI.

I've already tried making the ASUS monitor the main as i always do this when i get a new main monitor and this made no difference.. i tried unplugging the HDMI and restarted my PC and it booted with my main monitor.. replugged in the HDMI and problem came right back.. not sure what to do now at this point.

My main monitor is an ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q 24" and my secondary is a BenQ XL2411Z 24"
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    MSI GTX 970 4gb OC
    i7 4770k 3.50GHz
    16gb RAM
    1000w psu

:)

BrandonR188, Oct 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 - no boot - black screen after logo

All the answers that I have seen assume that I can windows and commands on my screen. I have a laptop and the screen remains black if I boot to the USB. If I connect a second monitor, Windows treats the second monitor as an extension of the main monitor
    but will not allow me to open windows to change display or driver settings.

It appears that Windows does not recognize the display on my laptop, treats a non-existent monitor as the primary monitor, and the my real secondary monitor as the secondary monitor. Without visual access to a primary monitor, I can do nothing.

SteveSanderfoot, Oct 15, 2016
  3. djoptico Win User
    I have three monitors. How I can set the default secondary display?

The problem is that windows is selecting the secondary monitor to display the videos. The program that I'm using don't have the option to set the display video monitor (the secondary monitor). So, there a way to set in windows who monitor is going to
    be the secundary display when you have three monitors?

djoptico, Oct 15, 2016
  4. Windows boots on secondary monitor

That isn't something you can change in Windows. It's a function of the video cards BIOS. I run 3 monitors and my BIOS post screen shows on the monitor labeled as my no 2 monitor by Windows. It's dependent on how many monitors you have connected and what ports they are connected to. As far as I know you can't change it via any settings. The POST screen happens before the OS is even loaded. To switch which monitor it shows on, you have to switch which port the monitor is plugged into. My video card ports are HDMI, DVI, DVI. My post screen shows on one of the DVI ports. The only way I can get it to show on the HDMI is to unplug all my DVI connected monitors. Not a solution. My main monitor is the one I have connected to HDMI. I don't want to move them as they are different sizes. My main monitor is 1080p and my other two are just 19 inch 1280 x 1024. I just live with it.

I switch to PC Screen only mode when gaming so only my 1080p screen is active, then go back to Extend when I'm done gaming. Windows log key *Start + P.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2016
  5. My second monitor has done nothing but cause issues.. it literally caused my main monitor to have no signal at all when i woke up this morning.. had to replug it in twice to get a signal.. so I'm going to get rid of my second monitor and just keep one for now. Thanks for the help!

BrandonR188, Oct 15, 2016
  6. Bummer. I can't imagine ever going back to a single screen. Even on my laptop, I run dual screens most of the time. Are you shutting down or just going into sleep or hibernate mode?

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2016
  7. after more issues occurring, i got an exchange on the monitor since i paid for the warranty.. no issues so far.

BrandonR188, Oct 16, 2016
  8. Windows boots on secondary monitor

Hopefully things work the way they are supposed to now.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows boots on secondary monitor

1. Windows boots on secondary monitor - Similar Threads - boots secondary monitor

2. Toolbar on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toolbar on secondary monitor: This is the same question that GrandPheonix has asked.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-on-secondary-monitor/e00b197a-1143-4207-b0be-618ee4986eccIs there a way to either change this in any of the windows settings or does this have to be coded into...
  3. Toolbar on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Toolbar on secondary monitor: This is the same question that GrandPheonix has asked.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toolbar-on-secondary-monitor/e00b197a-1143-4207-b0be-618ee4986eccIs there a way to either change this in any of the windows settings or does this have to be coded into...
  4. Add a secondary Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary Monitor: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 3593 2020 that has: - i5 1035G1 - MX230 2GB - 1920x1080p, 16:9 integrated monitor 1/ I'm going to plug a 1280 x 1024, 5/4 Dell E190S monitor via HDMI to VGA adapter and VGA to VGA cable. Will the monitor behave badly? 2/ If it does, will...
  5. No signal on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No signal on secondary monitor: Hey all, I have a company laptop and recently it got upgraded by our IT from windows 8 to windows 10. Until now i have used it with two external monitors in order to make my job easier. Unfortunately since the windows 10 version 1903 has been installed it is not detecting...
  6. Secondary Monitor Blurry

Secondary Monitor Blurry: Any secondary monitor connected to this new laptop is blurry. I have tried several work-arounds (scaling adjustments) but nothing has improved the second monitor. even i followed the below link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091364/windows-10-fix-blurry-apps....
  7. Notifications on secondary monitor

Notifications on secondary monitor: Hello, I use my primary monitor for full screen activity, my secondary monitor has the taskbar and other stuff on it. I would like to move the notifications to the right bottom of my secondary monitor, now the appear on the primary monitor but I can't see then due to my...
  8. Secondary Monitor Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary Monitor Touchscreen: Hello, I have a theater room with a projector as my main display. I have recently bought an old Mimo UM-740 7" touchscreen. I have it working as a secondary display, problem is, the touch screen is moving the mouse on the main display. Is there a way to have just the...
  9. Secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Secondary monitor: Recently I bought a slightly larger monitor and planned to use the older one as a secondary monitor. I went in via 'Display Settings' but have managed to screw things up and I've ended up making this smaller monitor the primary one. How might I reverse this and thus make the...
  10. Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors: Brand new guy with a question: I have a Dell Inspiron 13 connected via a Kensington SD 4000 dock to two external monitors. When I am in my office, the laptop is connected to the dock, and the lid is closed. Everything works fine, EXCEPT when I restart (or just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows-10 boot secondary-monitor black