Windows 10: Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

Discus and support Windows boots to black screen, no cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Prof x64 Sager Laptop, i7 NVidia 980M<br /><br /> This morning I resumed my computer back from sleep and different programs started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Meetloaf13, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

Windows 10 Prof x64 Sager Laptop, i7 NVidia 980M<br /><br />

This morning I resumed my computer back from sleep and different programs started hanging. So, I decided to restart. I restarted my computer and it stayed on the restart screen for ages, like 30 minutes. So I hard shut down the computer and rebooted.

I decided to reboot to see if the reboot changed anything. Nothing, reboot hang. Tried disconnecting all my peripherals in case a driver was hanging, still no luck, reboot hangs.

So I loaded the WindowsPE bootable USB rescue disck and tried running SFC /scannow, checkdisk, and oher utilities, no errors.

I tried editing the the boot files using a BCD utilty to go to Safe Mode with networking as well as tried using some of the Windows repair utilities included. And now my computer boots, or I think it boots and stays with a blank screen. I've tried connecting a monitor and no luck.

I made a full Windows 10 boot drive so the I could launch the Repair Environment, but somehow my boot is stuck in a hibernate mode When I hard shut down the device by holding the power button, and turn it back on all it will do is resume from Hibernate, so I am unable to boot from the Windows 10 flash drive.

I can turn the computer on, and then I see "Safe Mode" blink a couple times, and then it sits at a black screen. When I press the power button, the computer sleeps, and then I turn it back and it resumes from hibernation. When I hold the power button down, it turns off, and then the same thing happens, resume from hibernation.

I need help, in over my head a bit.

Any advice?

UPDATE: I was able to get rid of the hibernation by interrupting the hibernation at the right time with a hard power down. I'm now able to boot from USB. The startup repair said it was unsuccessful, or so it says, the Startup Repair report comes back 100% clean with all tests "Completed Successfully" with an Error Code of "0x0", which I'm assuming means null.

Now when I try to boot, it ultimately boots I guess and then the "SAFE MODE" tags appear in each corner every minute or so, but the screen remains black.

:)

Meetloaf13, Nov 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 boots to black screen, no cursor

Actually, by doing all this, and with the failure to start of the USB 3.0 controller, I seem to be realizing what is causing this - it's a TP-Link (TL-WN721N) USB wireless adapter!

Originally, it was connected to a USB 2.0 port and all of a sudden I started noticing that the adapter was frequently and briefly disabled through USB. It was disappearing altogether from the "Change adapter settings" option and immediately reconnecting.
    I had also a webcam connected to that same controller and I decided to let it run. Every time the wireless adapter was disabled, the camera also stopped working.

I moved the TP-Link wireless adapter to a different USB controller and it had the same behaviour, but the webcam worked fine, because it remained connected to the initial, different, USB 2.0 controller.

I then moved the TP-Link wireless adapter to the USB 3.0 plug and it didn't disconnect any more. However, the issue with Windows rebooting to a black screen started to occur (initial post of mine).

Now, if I remove the TP-Link from the USB 3.0 and reboot the PC, it reboots form the first attempt with no issues. If I plug the TP-Link back to USB 3.0, Windows reboots to black screen and I need to press restart button on PC case. If I move the TP-Link
    to USB 2.0, Windows reboots just fine, however it makes that USB controller to stop working for a second, but frequently and randomly.

My Windows 10 comes installed over a previous version of Windows 7. Back under Win 7, none of the above occurred!

Tried to find newer drivers for the TP-Link, but it seems the producer doesn't have anything new. I ever wrote them about the disconnection issues, I didn't get any reply so far...

Any ideas?

Cristian Radulescu, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Windows 10 boots to black screen, no cursor

Bottom-line,

I ditched the TP-Link USB wifi adapter (which, by the way, I believe it also burned one USB port), bought and installed a PCI-Express ASUS wifi card and problem(s) solved. No failure on other USB devices, no problems upon Windows restart (causing a black
    screen).

Regards!

Cristian Radulescu, Nov 11, 2016
  4. nt62 Win User

Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

Do you have installation media?
    How are you posting this?
    Any issues with a clean installation?

5. From my phone. I do have the media, at this point clean install is not on my radar if at all possible

Meetloaf13, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

1. Windows boots to black screen, no cursor - Similar Threads - boots black screen

2. Black Screen with Cursor after Windows Boot Up Screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen with Cursor after Windows Boot Up Screen: Hello today I was using my computer today and when I restarted it the screen goes black and has a cursor after the windows boot screen. I've tried to get into task manager, but it wont show up. I tried pressing control alt delete and nothing shows up. Going to the BIOS screen...
  3. Windows won’t boot, black screen with cursor or boot loop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won’t boot, black screen with cursor or boot loop.: I turned on my computer just fine this morning, had to download an update for my keyboard, and so I had to restart it. When I restarted it, instead of going to the start menu it started saying fixing drives, and it got stuck on 100% for 10 minutes so I restarted it again and...
  4. PC booting to a black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC booting to a black screen with cursor: Hey, My PC was working fine yesterday night as it installed the latest update. This morning however I cannot access anything anymore. As soon as it boots I don't see the login screen but go directly to a black screen where I can move my cursor. I've been googling around...
  5. Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor: I just plugged in a new monitor, and the monitor shows the boot screen, then just shows a black screen, I looked it up on YouTube, and they all said to press Ctrl+alt+del, open task manager, I do somethi g else, but i cant open tadk manager either. Ive restarted my computer,...
  6. Windows 10 does not boot black screen and cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 does not boot black screen and cursor: Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Windows. I had two SSDs in the "mirror" dynamic disks, I used Acronis software to "break the mirror" and it broke my entire operating system. I converted the disks to "basic" using the Paragon tool and the datawas not lost, but...
  7. Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor: I shut down my laptop properly - no hard boot - and the next time I turned it on, I got a black screen with the cursor. I have tried a bunch of things but to no avail. I don't have any peripherals attached. Everything was working fine until the last shut down, all...
  8. Booting to black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting to black screen with cursor: Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen with cursor. I don't have a pc easily available to install usb boot programs but have tried a couple thus far. Refreshing or...
  9. Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?: Yeah, just registered with Ten Forums and all that good stuff, and so here's my first of possibly many issues I shall bring to you. xD I upgraded my preview build of Windows 10 (10130) to the pro final version because the preview wasn't able to find additional builds and kept...
  10. Windows 10 Booting to a black screen & white cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Booting to a black screen & white cursor: Hi, my PC has been acting up for about a week now. I have 2 Samsung 24inch Monitors and a decent gaming PC. I have tried all the options this forums has brought to me such as control alt delete and recovery mode, nothing has worked so far. i have just upgraded from 7-10...