Windows 10: windows bt folder

Discus and support windows bt folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just noticed this; a $WINDOWS.~BT folder has showed up in my local disk (C drive). It's dated 9/11/2017. I've never seen one in there before....so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Plankton, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Plankton Win User

windows bt folder

I've just noticed this; a $WINDOWS.~BT folder has showed up in my local disk (C drive). It's dated 9/11/2017. I've never seen one in there before....so why is it in there now?

:)

Plankton, Sep 22, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 22, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 22, 2017
  4. windows bt folder

ignatzatsonic, Sep 22, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Its created when you upgrade Windows so its usually ok to remove it. Best way to remove it is with the disk clean tool in Windows. If you're happy all you're user files, documents, and pictures are ok then go ahead and remove it.

swarfega, Sep 22, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Strictly speaking, $WINDOWS.~BT is created (along with the hidden $Windows.~WS folder) when you run any form of Windows Setup. If you run the Media Creation Tool that too describes itself as 'Windows Setup' and is another way that these folders may be created. It definitely safe to delete them if they were made by the MCT.

The purpose of these folders is temporary storage of the files needed to upgrade your system or, in the case of the MCT to create the ISO or USB media. Most of the files are deleted when the process is complete, but the folders remain because they will contain the logs of what took place.

7. What he (Bree) said. If you run the media creation tool to download an ISO or create install media, even on a system that is running a fully updated Windows 10 install. Those folders will be created. Temporary storage etc. I used to delete them but just don't bother anymore. I'm not low on space and I'm running the MCT fairly often.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

windows bt folder

1. windows bt folder - Similar Threads - folder

2. Making Changes To Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making Changes To Folders: I occasionally need to rename or move a folder but get an error saying a file or folder is open which must be closed before renaming or moving can continue. Often there are dozens or hundreds of files or folders and I am unable to find the one causing the error. Is there any...
  3. How do I delete a folder created by mounting the uncompressed install.wim file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete a folder created by mounting the uncompressed install.wim file: A quick background: I was extending my recovery drive for the workaround for the win update error: 0x80070643 Windows 10 KB503444. In the process, I had to restore the RE image. I executed: dism /mount-wim /wimfile:"c:\install.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mountwim /readonly It...
  4. How do I delete a folder created by mounting the uncompressed install.wim file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete a folder created by mounting the uncompressed install.wim file: A quick background: I was extending my recovery drive for the workaround for the win update error: 0x80070643 Windows 10 KB503444. In the process, I had to restore the RE image. I executed: dism /mount-wim /wimfile:"c:\install.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mountwim /readonly It...
  5. How do I delete a folder created by mounting the uncompressed install.wim file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. picture folders don't show actaual pictures on icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    picture folders don't show actaual pictures on icons: picture folders don't show actual pictures on icons but when I click on a picture it then shows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picture-folders-dont-show-actaual-pictures-on/2af69b69-a503-41d4-8a50-68e741fafe6e
  7. picture folders don't show actaual pictures on icons

picture folders don't show actaual pictures on icons: picture folders don't show actual pictures on icons but when I click on a picture it then shows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picture-folders-dont-show-actaual-pictures-on/2af69b69-a503-41d4-8a50-68e741fafe6e
  8. picture folders don't show actaual pictures on icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder: I am installing a newer version of Office on my Windows 11 PC. I ran the uninstall app and also used the MS Recovery Assistant tool to remove Office 2016. I ran the tool after running the uninstall app and the tool still found leftover Office files and removed them. However,...
  10. Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder

Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder: I am installing a newer version of Office on my Windows 11 PC. I ran the uninstall app and also used the MS Recovery Assistant tool to remove Office 2016. I ran the tool after running the uninstall app and the tool still found leftover Office files and removed them. However,...