Windows 10: $Windows.~BT getting smaller after failed updates.

Discus and support $Windows.~BT getting smaller after failed updates. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Two days ago, I had a $Windows.~BT folder of 4,63 Gb on my PC and I noticed several attempts of my system to update to WIN10, but each one failed. So I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by valentinm, Jul 30, 2015.

1. valentinm Win User

$Windows.~BT getting smaller after failed updates.

Two days ago, I had a $Windows.~BT folder of 4,63 Gb on my PC and I noticed several attempts of my system to update to WIN10, but each one failed. So I tried with the "trick" to force and install WIN10. This went ok until 92 percent and after beign stuck there for more than 10 hours (and needing my computer) I killed the update and went back to WIN7 Ultimate.

Now, Windows is trying to update to Windows 10, but fails each time and -almost- everytime there is a different error. Last attempt was yesterday evening and when I check why it failed, I see code Code 8009000B.

Yesterday morning it was Code 8246007, and earlier it was Code C1900101 and Code 80240020.

And in the meantime the folder $Windows.~BT is just 48Mb.........

Anybody any idea what is happening? Am I kicked out of the free update????

Thanks beforehand for any reply that will and can shine a light on this one.

:)

valentinm, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Akane Win User
    Akane, Jul 30, 2015
  3. swarfega Win User
    Enable hidden files/folders in file explorer, go to drive c: and you should see a hidden folder called c:\$windows.~BT and click on the folder sources. In that folder you should see install.esd. Now follow this guide ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums.

Now you'l be able to clean install Windows 10 by following this guide which should reduce the number of possible problems.

Make sure you backup all the stuff you want to keep.

swarfega, Jul 30, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

The ESD to ISO works very well as the previous poster says --and you can use that SAME ISO to upgrade other machines so avoiding another download or two -- to activate just use serial nrs from your previous OS'es.

RUFUS also is useful for making a USB install stick from the ISO.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. $Windows.~BT getting smaller after failed updates. - Similar Threads - $Windows ~BT getting

2. Broken Bluetooth after smaller update with 23H2 Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken Bluetooth after smaller update with 23H2 Windows 11: I was running Windows insider builds of windows, and I think it was back 2-3 months ago an update broke my bluetooth on my Desktop. Now my Desktop does not come with Bluetooth and I am using a DLink USB dongle to get Bluetooth. The update did not affect my other Laptop which...
  3. Broken Bluetooth after smaller update with 23H2 Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken Bluetooth after smaller update with 23H2 Windows 11: I was running Windows insider builds of windows, and I think it was back 2-3 months ago an update broke my bluetooth on my Desktop. Now my Desktop does not come with Bluetooth and I am using a DLink USB dongle to get Bluetooth. The update did not affect my other Laptop which...
  4. Windows 10 will still get smaller feature updates

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will still get smaller feature updates: When Microsoft revealed that the current Windows 10 version would be the last, it was not clear if Windows 10 would still get smaller feature updates or if Microsoft would limit updates to security and bug fix updates. Microsoft pushed a new update to the release preview...
  5. K63 BT keyboard fails to reconnect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    K63 BT keyboard fails to reconnect: Hi there, I have purchased the corsair K63 wireless keyboard, which worked excellent for 3 weeks, now when I connect via bluetooth, after the keyboard sleeps or is shut down the reconnection fails 90% and when it does connect media keys on the top edge do not work The only...
  6. Failed windows $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed windows $Windows.~BT folder: Hi I was having trouble with my windows password last week so I tried a windows restore it got about halfway through but it failed and it told me no files were changed,the problem is now I am left with a 14GB $Windows.~BT folder on my c drive I have tried deleting it but to...
  7. Display of my laptop (fonts) getting smaller after an update

Display of my laptop (fonts) getting smaller after an update: Hello, I am so annoyed by the fact that after an update, my laptop display (fonts) became small and hard to read. I have tried to restore my laptop and stuff and they didn't work. I called windows support and the person hang up the phone. I'd like to hear your advice what I...
  8. File size gets smaller

in Windows 10 Customization
    File size gets smaller: I’m scanning in slides which come out at 29MP, I edit them in Microsoft Photos but when I save they are reduced to 5MP and lose quality. How can I keep the size and quality?...
  9. My icons get smaller after a while

in Windows 10 Customization
    My icons get smaller after a while: Hi people, so I love customizing my games icon.. I spent hours searching and sometimes creating the best icons for all of my games with the highest resolution possible. but after a while, random icons get smaller for no reason I searched a lot for a solution but I didn't find...
  10. $windows.~bt

$windows.~bt: With an upgrade from Win 7 to 10, a folder with the Thread title appeared at the top of my C drive folder. In that folder were the following sub folders: Boot, EFI, New OS, Sources, Store & Work. The two I am really interested in are the Boot and EFI folders. Just wondering...