Windows 10: $windows.~bt

Discus and support $windows.~bt in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I assume that Windows created this which appears to contain a version of Windows 10. Why has it been left after the upgrade? Can it be safely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by WightWalker, Dec 4, 2015.

1. $windows.~bt

I assume that Windows created this which appears to contain a version of Windows 10.

Why has it been left after the upgrade?

Can it be safely removed?

:)

WightWalker, Dec 4, 2015
  2. davidhk Win User

If you are satisfied with how Windows 10 is performing, yes, it is safe to delete it.

FYI........... if you open $Windows.~BT > then open Sources folder > you will find an item called Install.esd.
    Users like to use that to convert it to an ISO file which can be used for reinstall or burn it to a bootable media and use it to do a clean install.
    You might want to save the Install.esd to an external hard drive for future use.
    After that, feel free to delete $Windows.~BT .
    You can delete it by running the built-in Disk Cleanup program.

How to remove the Windows.old and $Windows.~BT folders after you upgrade Windows
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

davidhk, Dec 4, 2015
  3. Steve C Win User
    I've just installed Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool (MCT) USB. I have that Sources folder size 560MB but it doesn't contain install.esd.

Maybe we don't get this file when Windows 10 is installed via the MCT USB since we have the installation files on USB anyway?

Steve C, Dec 5, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

$windows.~bt

See if this will help. No guarantees.

Open File Explorer Options > View > put a dot at Show hidden files, folders, and drives > UN-check " Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) > OK

davidhk, Dec 5, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    I am sorry.
    I don't know what else I can help you.
    This is probably irrelevant, but you said you used USB drive.
    I never do. I always use either a DVD for clean install, or use the iso file to do an in-place upgrade.

davidhk, Dec 5, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    MCT uses a different method - the install.esd is on the USB in the sources folder

Kyhi, Dec 5, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    According to this post of yours, you have the Install.esd from MCT Sources folder.
    Would you mind telling me how you finally got it this time while you didn't last time ?
    I would like to know for future reference.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

$windows.~bt

1. $windows.~bt - Similar Threads - $windows ~bt

2. Problems "sending" emails from a BT Internet account on Outlook in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems "sending" emails from a BT Internet account on Outlook in Windows 11: Hi I have 365 and am using it on a laptop and desktop. The problem I have with both is that emails do not "Send" from a BT internet account. Seems fine with Gmail and Outlook accounts. Bt Internet inbox works but sent emails just sit in the Outbox. You can force it by...
  3. Problems "sending" emails from a BT Internet account on Outlook in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems "sending" emails from a BT Internet account on Outlook in Windows 11: Hi I have 365 and am using it on a laptop and desktop. The problem I have with both is that emails do not "Send" from a BT internet account. Seems fine with Gmail and Outlook accounts. Bt Internet inbox works but sent emails just sit in the Outbox. You can force it by...
  4. Can't delete "$WINDOWS.~BT" folder after having issues with the insider program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete "$WINDOWS.~BT" folder after having issues with the insider program: I joined and then opted out the Insider Program beta stream I think a while ago, but apparently it automatically downloaded and prepared an update to Windows 11 for some reason, I am still on Windows 10 Pro which I didn't want. Trying to prevent the update, I turned off my PC...
  5. Can't delete "$WINDOWS.~BT" folder after having issues with the insider program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete "$WINDOWS.~BT" folder after having issues with the insider program: I joined and then opted out the Insider Program beta stream I think a while ago, but apparently it automatically downloaded and prepared an update to Windows 11 for some reason, I am still on Windows 10 Pro which I didn't want. Trying to prevent the update, I turned off my PC...
  6. Can't delete "$WINDOWS.~BT" folder after having issues with the insider program

7. BT headphones and windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BT headphones and windows 10 PC: Hello! So I have 2 sets of bt headphones and they connect fine to my laptop and phone. I have Windows 10 on my PC and it shows up under Bluetooth devices and I'm able to connect. They just never ever show up under playback. I've tried absolutely everything and have scoured...
  8. BT headphones and windows 10 PC

BT headphones and windows 10 PC: Hello! So I have 2 sets of bt headphones and they connect fine to my laptop and phone. I have Windows 10 on my PC and it shows up under Bluetooth devices and I'm able to connect. They just never ever show up under playback. I've tried absolutely everything and have scoured...
  9. BT headphones and windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Can I connect my BT headphone, wireless keyboard and mouse at the same time In windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I connect my BT headphone, wireless keyboard and mouse at the same time In windows 10: Please answer quickly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-connect-my-bt-headphone-wireless-keyboard/244057f4-cc51-47d7-94e0-879f6d651926