Windows 10: Windows button & Settings not working

Discus and support Windows button & Settings not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Okay, I've been spending hours trying to figure this out. I Reset my Surface Pro 3 (4 times now) to try to fix this problem and I cannot click the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JoshuaTom, Aug 19, 2018.

1. JoshuaTom Win User

Windows button & Settings not working

Okay, I've been spending hours trying to figure this out. I Reset my Surface Pro 3 (4 times now) to try to fix this problem and I cannot click the windows icon, but if I "right click" it won't let me go to settings or to update my computer or anything else. I can't do a Windows Update because there is no way for me to get there- I've tried what all the forums suggest. Example, if I try to Run "Ms-settings:"- it comes back with an error message of "Package could not be registered". I'm assuming this all has to do with Bitlocker, which I have enabled and disabled several times and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Apps & the internet seem to be working fine on the computer, I just can't access anything to do with Windows (search bar, settings, cortana, Apps section, or anything else). Please help! And don't just send me to a forum from 5 years ago, I'm sure I've already read them all.

:)

JoshuaTom, Aug 19, 2018

2. Cannot set home button icon Microsoft Edge

Thanks for reply
    but your suggestion did not work.When i turn off home button in Edge and re-open Edge and turn on home button ...the home icon appears but fades away when Edge is re-opened.

I even uninstalled Edge and re-installed Edge following a fellow members suggestion tutorial but this step did not work either.

Very strange

treblefree, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Aug 19, 2018
  4. snoopy51 Win User

Cannot set home button icon Microsoft Edge

The workaround is not a solution as I stated. It merely create an button on the Favorite Bar!

Please follow davidhk's suggestion. You may have to run SFC /scannow three times in order to correct the file corruption problem!

snoopy51, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows button & Settings not working - Similar Threads - button Settings working

2. Set Left Button as Primary not Right Button

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Set Left Button as Primary not Right Button: The Windows Icon is located in the lower left corner of the screen. When I LB click it, an hour glass icon appears, then goes away, and there is no further action. When I RB Click, I see the expected pop up menu which contains the shutdown command among others. Shouldn’t this...
  3. Setting button in start page doesn‘t work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting button in start page doesn‘t work: my setting button in start page doesn‘t work,but I can click it on notification page to launch setting page. I press setting key in my keyboard also desn't work....
  4. My Start button, Settings, or Hotkeys won't work.

My Start button, Settings, or Hotkeys won't work.: So I've been having this problem for a little bit, and it's been concerning me. My Windows (Start) button isn't working, I can't check Wi-Fi, Sound, Battery, or notifications, I can't personalize my background or lock screen, and my settings won't work. It's very problematic...
  5. Power Button Setting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Button Setting: I have an Acer Aspire 3 and set the power button to shut down when pressed, on both battery and plugged in status. Changes were saved and it still has those settings - but it doesn't work. Nothing at all happens when I press the power button. This setting has worked on...
  6. Windows 10 button not working

Windows 10 button not working: I am really computer illiterate, 72 years old, and desperately need help, but it has to be in simple, easy to follow language. The Windows 10 button on my computer does not work anymore. I have only had the computer since February, but, from reading and not understanding what...
  7. windows home button not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows home button not working: hello everyone, Recectly I have made updates in Windows 10 and now system is upto date. But after the updates the window button with Windows logo of my brand new laptop is not working.i checked for new updates there is no updates remining.Also Omen command center also...
  8. Start Button, Time & Date, Speaker Settings not working.

Start Button, Time & Date, Speaker Settings not working.: It's a Lenovo PC-All in one. The Monitor has all the other Hardware (HDD, M/B, RAM, Speakers, Camera, etc.) Pentuim CPU G645 2.9 + 2.9 Ghz. The config seems pretty decent. I joined the company recently and the Start Menu Button or the Button on the Keyboard do not open the...
  9. "apply" button for settings

in Windows 10 Support
    "apply" button for settings: Can't find one. Apparently the only way to invoke a change is to hit the X button. Which is a pain if I want to look at alternatives. Maybe a keyboard shortcut? 33700
  10. Windows button not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows button not working: So... My mom updated her laptop to windows 10..... Now she has the problem that the windows button down left doesn't work, this is quite annoying and it needs to be fixed, also i can not seem to find the windows store etc. The search icon next to the windows button...