Windows 10: Windows button & Settings not working

Discus and support Windows button & Settings not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Okay, I've been spending hours trying to figure this out. I Reset my Surface Pro 3 (4 times now) to try to fix this problem and I cannot click the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JoshuaTom, Aug 19, 2018.

1. JoshuaTom Win User

Windows button & Settings not working

Okay, I've been spending hours trying to figure this out. I Reset my Surface Pro 3 (4 times now) to try to fix this problem and I cannot click the windows icon, but if I "right click" it won't let me go to settings or to update my computer or anything else. I can't do a Windows Update because there is no way for me to get there- I've tried what all the forums suggest. Example, if I try to Run "Ms-settings:"- it comes back with an error message of "Package could not be registered". I'm assuming this all has to do with Bitlocker, which I have enabled and disabled several times and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Apps & the internet seem to be working fine on the computer, I just can't access anything to do with Windows (search bar, settings, cortana, Apps section, or anything else). Please help! And don't just send me to a forum from 5 years ago, I'm sure I've already read them all.

:)

JoshuaTom, Aug 19, 2018

2. Cannot set home button icon Microsoft Edge

Thanks for reply
    but your suggestion did not work.When i turn off home button in Edge and re-open Edge and turn on home button ...the home icon appears but fades away when Edge is re-opened.

I even uninstalled Edge and re-installed Edge following a fellow members suggestion tutorial but this step did not work either.

Very strange

treblefree, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Aug 19, 2018
  4. snoopy51 Win User

Cannot set home button icon Microsoft Edge

The workaround is not a solution as I stated. It merely create an button on the Favorite Bar!

Please follow davidhk's suggestion. You may have to run SFC /scannow three times in order to correct the file corruption problem!

snoopy51, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows button & Settings not working - Similar Threads - button Settings working

2. Windows 11 Desktop and Settings menu buttons not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop and Settings menu buttons not working: What is up with Windows 11.Widget button bottom left of screen on the taskbar its white and blue in colour - This button does nothing at all when pressed. Online help states to End Task for Windows Widgets in Task Manager - I have no process called Windows Widgets in the Task...
  3. Windows 11 Desktop and Settings menu buttons not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop and Settings menu buttons not working: What is up with Windows 11.Widget button bottom left of screen on the taskbar its white and blue in colour - This button does nothing at all when pressed. Online help states to End Task for Windows Widgets in Task Manager - I have no process called Windows Widgets in the Task...
  4. Search button not working and settings app not working.

in Cortana
    Search button not working and settings app not working.: My question is self-explanatory, I have small icons enabled so there's a search button not a bar, activated Win 10 Pro Installation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-button-not-working-and-settings-app-not/43a2205d-9c74-4ec9-936e-fb24c9b253fa
  5. Search button not working and settings app not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search button not working and settings app not working.: My question is self-explanatory, I have small icons enabled so there's a search button not a bar, activated Win 10 Pro Installation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-button-not-working-and-settings-app-not/43a2205d-9c74-4ec9-936e-fb24c9b253fa
  6. Search button not working and settings app not working.

7. Windows settings and windows button don't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows settings and windows button don't work: For some reason the microsoft store was giving me an error when I was going to download so I went into microsoft forums and many suggested re-register all the apps with this command in the powershell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  8. Class not registered/Start not working/Windows settings and buttons not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Class not registered/Start not working/Windows settings and buttons not working: Hello, I kinda have a very difficult problem and kinda hard to explain. So recently my pc started giving me a problem, started by saying class not registered when I tried opening pictures, then it went to my installed apps and then to all windows default apps. When I hover...
  9. settings button

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    settings button: Why is my settings button not working, it shows up and when I run the mouse over it, It has the page but wont let me get it up on the screen, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-button/30bcf9b3-e282-4ab9-be22-da8bcbc51a7d
  10. Settings App '+' buttons not working

Settings App '+' buttons not working: Hello, In my settings app on Windows 10 Pro any buttons which appear as a square box with a '+' in the middle are not functioning. I have verified that "Add a family member" "Add someone else to this PC" "Add an account" "Connect" in Access work or school account and...