Windows 10: Windows Button stops working (Surface Book)

Discus and support Windows Button stops working (Surface Book) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Surface Book (8 GB RAM, 256 GB HD, Dedicated Graphics) with a random, re-occurring issue with my Windows (10) Start Button. It will just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sberti, Jun 4, 2016.

1. sberti Win User

Windows Button stops working (Surface Book)

Hi, I have a Surface Book (8 GB RAM, 256 GB HD, Dedicated Graphics) with a random, re-occurring issue with my Windows (10) Start Button. It will just randomly stop working. By that I mean when I click it nothing happens... no Start Screen. If I right-click it, sometimes I'll still get the right-click menu.

I have a solution for this. I hold down my Power Button and Volume Increase Button to re-start/reset my Surface Book.

Each time I check for Windows Updates, it shows that everything is up to date.

I'm starting to get tired of this. I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be 'stable'. What is going on? Why does it keep doing this?

I also have a 2nd issue: my Internet Explorer (11.30610586.0) randomly freezes. I have to fix it with the previously mentioned 'shut-down' method.

Any permanent solutions for these issues?

(I've been a Surface evangelizer, but I'm starting to get so fed up with this that I wonder if my next computer should be a Mac.)

:)

sberti, Jun 4, 2016
  2. Rainer.NZ Win User

No sound from HDMI, Not detected HDMI.Windows 10

I have the same issue with a Surface Book.

In my case it did work recently but then stopped working.

Your suggestions using a separate cable cannot be the answer in the case of my Surface Book with a Samsung monitor.

Please help to find a solution.

Rainer.NZ, Jun 4, 2016
  3. rmvela626 Win User
    Windows Hello Face Setup Could Not Open the Camera

I had a similar issue on my Surface Book. These instructions are for the Surface Book only... In my case, my Front Camera and IR Camera were not enabled. To check if your Front Camera and IR Camera are enabled on a Surface Book, you must enter the Surface
    UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). To do this, first shut down your Surface. Once shutdown, press and hold the volume-up button while pressing and releasing the power button. Once you see the Surface logo, release the volume-up button. Go to Devices,
    and check to make sure Front Camera and IR Camera are enabled.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...bios-uefi-with-surface-book-and-surface-pro-4

rmvela626, Jun 4, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

As a fellow Surface user try the following....Right click on Windows cone ( bottom left hand corner) open Command Prompt (Admin)
    and copy paste the following
    sfc /scannow
    Press Enter

If you encounter corrupt files copy paste the following.
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Press Enter.

If you find then that Source files are missing...
    This problem can be solved by doing the following.
    Download Install.Wim ISO from TechNet.
    Open downloads, right click on it and click Mount.
    Open Command Prompt (Admin) and copy paste the following.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wimWindows Button stops working (Surface Book) :D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

D is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

dencal, Jun 4, 2016
  5. darrentx Win User
    If the above doesn't help, you might try a Windows 10 Refresh.

darrentx, Jun 4, 2016
  6. sberti Win User
    Thanks for you reply. I have done the 1st two steps and have gotten this result in my Command Prompt:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Image Version: 10.0.10586.0
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Since the source files could not be found, I'm attempting step 3, but I can't find the Install.Wim ISO download. All I seem to find are threads discussing it. Is the name of the thing I want to download "Install.Wim ISO" ?

Getting a bit out over my depth here, I think.

sberti, Jun 4, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    You are doing well....with you all the way.....you are almost there......below is install.WIM link.
    When you have downloaded it and mounted as already described, right click MS cone and click on Disk Management to see what letter WIM is mounted on....then follow my earlier post #2

Deleted link

dencal, Jun 5, 2016
  8. sberti Win User

The download I got is:
    Windows Imaging File Format.rtf
    It looks like an information sheet (white paper?).
    When I right-click on the file, I don't see any option Mount.
    Do I have the right download?

sberti, Jun 5, 2016
  9. dencal Win User
    Do not open....I have given you the wrong link....will send the right one as soon as possible.....delete the above one

dencal, Jun 5, 2016
  10. sberti Win User
    Ok, thanks.
    It's deleted.

sberti, Jun 5, 2016
  11. dencal Win User
    Sorry, this is the right one
    Tech Bench

I must emphasise that you must follow the last sentence in #post 2 ......it may not be D that wim is mounted on

dencal, Jun 5, 2016
  12. dencal Win User
    Midnight here in UK, time for bed.....notes, see post #5 to see what Drive letter wim is mounted on.
    Hope you successfully downloaded wim iso....see attachment
    If operation successfully completed.....do a sfc /scannow which should confirm everything OK.

Will check with you again in morning.

dencal, Jun 5, 2016
  13. sberti Win User

I did the download. (I had to try a couple of times to get it to complete the download. At first it said it couldn't complete the download. Retry didn't work. Deleted the partial download and emptied my Recycle Bin.)

I checked the Drive letter in Disk management and it was F: (although it showed up as a DVD drive, although my Surface Bood doesn't have a DVD drive.)

I copied the following line to the Command Prompt:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:F:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

This is the result:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:F:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Image Version: 10.0.10586.0
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

At present my Windows Button is not working.
    I guess for now, I'm going to do the Power Button + Up Volume shut down, then re-boot.

sberti, Jun 5, 2016
  14. dencal Win User
Thema:

1. Windows Button stops working (Surface Book) - Similar Threads - Button stops working

2. Windows Hello stopped working on my Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Hello stopped working on my Surface Book 2: My Surface book 2 running Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎2/‎24/‎2021 OS build 19042.844 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 no longer does Windows Hello. TPM is fully activated and the drivers for Windows Hello are the latest....
  3. Windows Hello on Surface Book Not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello on Surface Book Not working: Hello all I have a surface book 2 and all of a sudden the windows Hello camera has stopped logging me on. The acutal camera is working but Hello is not. I have tried to remove fascial data but when I try to set it back up, camera and my face comes on the screen but all...
  4. Microsoft Surface Book 2 Camera stopped working

Microsoft Surface Book 2 Camera stopped working: I have a Microsoft Surface Book 2. I installed Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H today, and when I restarted, my camera could not be started. I have tried uninstalling all of my camera resources and reinstalling them. I uninstalled the update. Nothing works. In...
  5. Surface Book

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Book: I cannot install chrome browser on my Surface Book https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-book/cda81878-dcdf-4625-9a44-7fe9e31ab73b
  6. Airpod connection to Surface Book Suddenly Stopped Working

Airpod connection to Surface Book Suddenly Stopped Working: I use a Microsoft Surface Book running Windows 10 Pro. I have connected my airpods to the computer via bluetooth for many months. Suddenly, approximately 10 - 14 days ago, the connection stopped working. I have tried: 1 turning off the bluetooth on my iPhone; 2 entirely...
  7. Microsoft surface book pen buttons work but pen tip will not write

Microsoft surface book pen buttons work but pen tip will not write: I have a microsoft surface book 1st gen and the pen does not work. Buttons work fine but the tip will not write. Heres what I have tried: 1. Removing device from Bluetooth and then adding it back 2. changing the battery 3. I even bought a new pen thinking it may be the...
  8. Surface book keyboard intermittently stops working

Surface book keyboard intermittently stops working: My surface book keyboard intermittently stops working. I have tried updating and rebooting, cleaning the connectors, charging up the battery, and nothing seems to fix the issue. The only button that always works is the button that allows me to disconnect the surface from the...
  9. Surface Book Touch Pad Click Buttons...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Book Touch Pad Click Buttons...: I want regular (old) response with the left and right click buttons on the touch pad. I don't want to have to "Press the button firmly to click." I want to just lightly click the buttons for them to work. How do I change the settings on the computer to accomplish this?...
  10. Surface Book

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Book: can I download icloud onto my Surface Book and if so how? want to import pics stored there from my iPhone. tried to trf directrly from the iPhone but they are held as optimised files and don't have enough storage to de-optimised if that makes sense. hope you can help....