Windows 10: Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share

Discus and support Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have one Windows 10 professional machine that I cannot access using \\hostname only anywhere on my network. I am receiving the message, "Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Igg55555, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Igg55555 Win User

Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share

I have one Windows 10 professional machine that I cannot access using \\hostname only anywhere on my network. I am receiving the message, "Windows cannot access \\HostName\". I can access \\HostName\share when typing it in direct.

Things I have tried

I have turned off IPv6 and enabled NETBIOS over tcp/ip.

I have reset network

I have removed and reinstalled NIC

All computers are in Private network
    Advanced sharing disabled password protected sharing
    I have disabled and enabled client for Microsoft networks and file and print sharing
    I have turned off firewall
    all machines are in the same workgroup
    Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication have been started and are set to automatic.

I am not sure where to turn from here. Any other suggestions on resolving the issue would be appreciated.

:)

Igg55555, Jul 17, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Need Help With File Sharing over a network

First we have to figure out if you can even get access to the computer you are trying to share you files from. So on the XP computer go to network places and type \\ComputerName, where ComputerName is the name of the Windows 8 computer you are sharing the files from.

That should allow you to see the share, even if you don't have permission to access it, you will still be able to see that the computer is sharing it. If you get an error and can't access the computer at all, then that is the first hurdle we need to address. It might also ask you for a username and password, put in the username and password for the Windows 8 computer.

Once you have access to the Windows 8 computer and can see the share, double click on it. If it lets you in, then you are golden. If it gives you an error, that is the next hurdle we need to tackle.

newtekie1, Jul 17, 2018
  3. Jaxx89 Win User
    Windows cannot access Network share

Turned on Network Sharing and discovery.

Turned off Password protected sharing.

Public folder accessible by other Devices on network.

Folders shared from any other drives are shown but not accessible.

All devices on same WORKGROUP

Homegroup not enabled.

Folders share set to "Everyone"

PC does not show up if logged in using Microsoft account. Only visible in Local account mode.

Happening in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs

Even my Home Theater system is unable to access anything but the Public folder.

Error Windows Cannot Access \\ComputerName\\SharedFolder

You do not have permission to access \\ComputerName\\SharedFolder. Contact your network administrator to request access.

Tried every other fix mentioned online to no avail.

Tried running SFC and DISM as well.

Jaxx89, Jul 17, 2018
  4. Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share

Windows 10 Homegroup Windows cannot access \\ComputerName\

I have a new windows 10 pc, an old windows 7 pc and a few months old windows 10 laptop. The laptop and windows 7 pc can see and view the new windows 10 pc in homegroup. And at first the new pc could see the other 2 computers, but it suddenly stopped
    working. I got so desperate I re-installed windows and it worked for a while but then stopped again. It wouldn't be such a problem if my windows 7 machine wasn't also experiencing a bug where explorer crashes whenever I try to copy & paste or move any files
    or folders.

What I can do is use my laptop to access my backed up files on my old windows 7 machine and from there copy them to the new pc, but that's a major headache, especially since the laptop can only connect over wifi so transferring data is less than half the speed
    of the Ethernet connected computers.

Anyway, now when my new pc tries to view any shared files on the other computers it loads for a while then comes up with an error message "Windows cannot access \\computerName\" ..."Error code:0x80070035 the network path was not found."

Troubleshooting is coming up with:

"One or more network protocols are missing on this computer."

I've tried running the repairs, but it hasn't fixed it.

Please Help!

Lady Marion, Jul 17, 2018
Thema:

Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share

1. Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share - Similar Threads - cannot access ComputerName

2. Windows cannot access \\<computername>

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot access \\<computername>: My Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 - all updates can see other computers on the network but cannot connect to their shares, whereas the other computers can connect to the Surface Pro3 shares. Network error says: Windows cannot access \\<computername>. Turning off firewalls and...
  3. Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses

Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses: Cannot access Controlled Folder Accesses because there is an issue with Ransomware Protection I get this message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-accesses-controlled-folder-accesses/5481afc3-960d-4447-a2e0-11ac32b07d64
  4. Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot accesses Controlled Folder Accesses: Cannot access Controlled Folder Accesses because there is an issue with Ransomware Protection I get this message: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-accesses-controlled-folder-accesses/5481afc3-960d-4447-a2e0-11ac32b07d64
  5. windows cannot access \\computername

windows cannot access \\computername: I've spent days trying to get this working. I've 2 computer one brand new that I want to access their drives from each other. They are connected by ethernet cables to the router. [ATTACH] This is from COMPROOM. I can access its shared folders but not EMMASROOM and vice...
  6. Windows 10 - Can't access \\computername but can access \\computername\share

Windows 10 - Can't access \\computername but can access \\computername\share: Hello, Since these latest updates/patches came out yesterday, I can no longer access shared folders on \\computername. However, I can access them with \\computer\share. I get the message "You do not have permission to access \\computername. Contact your network...
  7. Windows cannot access \\

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows cannot access \\: I'm trying to network 2 windows 10 home computers. Computer 1 sees and can access computer 2. Computer 2 does not see computer 1, however computer 2 can access computer 1 by typing \\computer1 in the search bar. The problem is when I do this I get the error Windows...
  8. You do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on [computername].

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on [computername].: As Administrator for the office PC's running Windows 10, I attempted to defragment a PC's hard disk drive. The Windows indicated that defragmentation was not an option. On the defragmentation screen, I noticed that the drive (HDD, C:) was incorrectly classified as Type=...
  9. Cannot access controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot access controlled folder access: Since installing Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 on 8th August Handbrake video converter is unable to write to any folder. I have read this is probably due to controlled folder access being enabled by version 1903 but when I try to access controlled folder access I...
  10. Windows cannot access the specified file, but I can access it manually.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows cannot access the specified file, but I can access it manually.: I was in the Pen Settings area of Settings in Windows. I clicked the option to "Improve Recognition" and received the following error: [ATTACH] What I cannot figure out is that I can manually navigate to the location on this executable file and run it w/o any problems. In...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot access computername

2. windows cannot access \\computername

3. windows 10 version 1903 cannot access \\computername

4. windows 10 cannot access computername,
  5. can list the share but cannot access,
  6. warning: office 365 client update,
  7. allow everyone acess to \\computername,
  8. windows cannot access but i can see,
  9. sccm Warning: Office 365 Client Update - Monthly Channel Version 1812 for x64 based Edition (Build 11126.20196),
  10. Windows 10 computers cannot connect to \\computername,
  11. windows cannot access computer name,
  12. windows cannot access computer,
  13. windows cannot access \\computer