Windows 10: windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive

Discus and support windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 1TB usb flash drive that was Ex-Fat32 formatted. I want to put my System images for my laptop and desktop on this drive and when I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by djrobison22, Sep 1, 2016.

1. windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive

I have a 1TB usb flash drive that was Ex-Fat32 formatted. I want to put my System images for my laptop and desktop on this drive and when I try to format the drive to NTFS I get the same error every time "Windows could not complete the format of this drive" but it doesn't say why. When I try to run a disk check on the drive I get the message that "this disk cannot be checked because it is not formatted'; would you like to format now?" which of course puts me right back in to the same issue.

Is there any other way to check the usb drive for errors and to format it to NTFS?

thanks,

DanielJ

:)

djrobison22, Sep 1, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 1, 2016
  3. tikimydog Win User
    NFTS from Fat32

hi! this is the reason I was looking into making the changes, but perhaps it is not a good idea after all.

You cannot start a computer from a USB
    flash drive that is formatted to ...

https://support.microsoft.com/.../you-cannot-start-a-computer-from-a-usb-flash-drive-...

Therefore, the Windows operating system does not create a master
    boot
    record (MBR) on the USB flash drive when you format the flash drive to use the
    FAT32 file system. ... The
    FAT32 startup code does not support starting a computer from a super floppy disk without an MBR.

My attempt was to use the 256Gb flash drive to establish a 'complete system copy' and include all other programs and apps all in one place. but perhaps MS has got that far as yet, my program still pops up with 'make a copy of your files with CD' ..
    thanks for your input

tikimydog, Sep 1, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive

Have you tried diskpart? I don't know whether it'll work with USB flash drives but it's worth checking.

• Open a Command Prompt W/ administration rights.
      • Type in "DiskPart" in command line.
      • Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.
      • Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.
        For example "select disk 1".
      • Use "clean" command to remove GPT disk from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors.
      • Go back to Disk Management, you can see GPT disk is "Not Initialized" now.
      • Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see GPT disk is "Unallocated" now.
      • Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it.

Bastet, Sep 1, 2016
  5. mike s Win User
    Please see this thread, and respond to the same questions and suggestions I made to that poster. There is a high probability that your "1TB USB flash drive" is counterfeit; i.e. it is actually a much lower capacity device which has been hacked to appear larger.

Does Windows 10 support disk on key 1TR?

mike s, Sep 1, 2016
  6. flybynite Win User
    I use diskpart all the time to format. After clean, type create part pri, then sel part 1, then format fs=ntfs quick, or format fs=fat32 quick, then assign. To make it active if you want it bootable just type active. Then you can copy all your files from a mounted ISO to it, and boot with it. If you don't want to do that just skip the active part. After you are done with diskpart, you type exit.

flybynite, Sep 1, 2016
  7. I managed to get all the way to formatting the usb drive. In Disk Management there is not option that I can see to initialize disk and I am just unable to manage anything at the command line without specific instructions so that didn't work. I am not sure how to get this drive formatted now and I need to get coffee!

djrobison22, Sep 2, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

This will work assuming drive is genuine.

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n=number of usb drive - usually last in list)

clean (wipes everything so be sure you have selected right disk)

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

The sd card will be ready to use.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive - Similar Threads - cannot complete format

2. How to format USB Flash Drives in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to format USB Flash Drives in Windows: Most USB Flash Drives that you plug in to a Windows PC are detected automatically by the system. Some may need to be formatted before you can start using them. Put simply, formatting makes sure that the operating system can interact with the device. Files can be saved,...
  3. Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!: Hi, I had a 5GB file which I wanted to copy in my flash drive. But my drive was formatted in FAT32 system, so I tried to format it as NTFS. But from then it shows that Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried formatting using different computers and even...
  4. formatting a new usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    formatting a new usb flash drive: What is the best way to format a usb device using Windows 10? Plus I have a USB flash drive that Windows won't recognize, how can I fix that problem so I can reformat it and reuse it? Thanks for your help Ken,...
  5. USB Flash drive not able to format

USB Flash drive not able to format: Hi there, I'm having a problem that my USB drive is not formatting. Whenever I format it, it gives me write-protection error. I tried to format it in my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 to see if there was an issue with Windows 10/my PC but of no luck. I also tried removing...
  6. Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay: How to format a usb flash drive for autoplay when connected to other devices like karaoke machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-usb-flash-drive-for-autoplay/e5ad6acc-dbef-48c9-a40e-290cc7526927
  7. Completely format bootable USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely format bootable USB flash drive: Hi How to completely format a bootable USB flash drive because I found there's a partition on the flash drive named "UEFI_NTFS" (EFI > Boot & Rufus folders with .efi files inside) that cannot be formatted. My other bootable USB with MBR partition can be fully formatted. I...
  8. USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED

USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED: Hi, I had purchased an iBall HYBRID Dual Pen drive but now when I am inserting it into the computer (Win 10 Home Single Lang - 64 Bit) , Windows is first asking me to format the drive. But as I click on the Format button it is displaying an Error Command that "Disk is...
  9. format the USB flash

format the USB flash: When I entered my flash, I got massage this USB need to format before its used, when I tried to format, the computer or windows was unable to format please note that my windows is 10...
  10. Format usb flash drive

Format usb flash drive: Hi looking for a good program to format my USB flash drive. Windows 10 won't recognise my flash drive it knows it's there but it's not showing up in drives I used the flash drive in my zgemma and the zgemma changes the partition in some way so PC won't recognise it now. I...