Windows 10: Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected

Discus and support Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I bought LG 23MP67HQ as my second monitor because it has HDMI input. Tested OK and well at the shop. It has two display input, VGA and HDMI. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by areriff, Dec 25, 2015.

1. areriff Win User

Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected

I bought LG 23MP67HQ as my second monitor because it has HDMI input.
    Tested OK and well at the shop.
    It has two display input, VGA and HDMI.
    My first monitor has VGA and DVI port.
    My graphics card is ASUS STRIX GTX960. Which has three display ports, One HDMI and one DVI.

The problem is windows couldn't detect the correct EDID thus using non-native display (1024x768) when connected using HDMI. Correct EDID were detected only when using display with VGA connector.

So, I begin troubleshooting.
    • Changing the HDMI cable ... same problem.
    • Connecting using my laptop (MacBook Air) ... same problem (and flickers).
    • Checking my laptop and PC by connecting it to the TV using HDMI ... no problem, works fine.
    • Connecting to the monitor using HDMI as the only monitor to my PC ... same problem.
    • Connecting to the monitor using VGA as the only monitor to my PC ... no problem, works fine.
    • Connecting to the monitor using VGA as the second monitor to my laptop... no problem, works fine.
    • Go to the shop and tested the display using HDMI ... no problem, works fine. (WTF)

So, what is the problem?

:)

areriff, Dec 25, 2015

2. Win10, display turned off, the resolution is only 1024*768, when turning back on, resolution is normal

the monitor turned off, windows 10 change the resolution to 1024*768, turned it back on, windows 10 changes the resolution to 1080P or 4K. each monitor has its own EDID information stored in win10 registry. remote software doesn't have other options some
    time.

it looks like the bug (i guess) of Win10 is if it doesn't detect a realtime physical EDID, it will just go to 1024*768. not sure how i can set up my monitors to change that while it is turned off.

sanjose_cali, Dec 25, 2015
  3. KVM PRO Win User
    KVM (AVR) switch monitor resolution problem on Windows 10

I am totally agree with you that MS should allow users to manually "lock" the EDID of connected display/ monitor they want to keep no matter what real /physical monitor is changed or linked.

or provide both currently "auto detect" mode and add the "manual selection" mode.

In addition to the dual-mode EDID detecting suggest, before MS providing in the future upgrade of the OS, MS should suggest users to use KVM switches with "all-time full EDID" stored to all channels of KVM switch.

KVM PRO, Dec 25, 2015
Thema:

Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected

1. Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected - Similar Threads - cannot detect monitor

2. Cannot detect my second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot detect my second monitor: My surface pro 8 updated today and then I found that it cannot detect my second monitor anymore. The latest update is 22H2 for x64KB5017271. Uninstalling the updates does not resolve this problem. I checked the cable connection and everything is ok. In the Setting...
  3. Cannot detect my second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot detect my second monitor: My surface pro 8 updated today and then I found that it cannot detect my second monitor anymore. The latest update is 22H2 for x64KB5017271. Uninstalling the updates does not resolve this problem. I checked the cable connection and everything is ok. In the Setting...
  4. Windows cannot detect second monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows cannot detect second monitor: Hi all, I recently purchased a dual VGA connector to connect 2 monitors to my desktop but it is not showing up on the detect screen on display. I then tried to update my display adapters in device manager but no luck. My display adapter is Intel(R) HD graphics 4600, and...
  5. Monitor Detection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Detection: Hi I plugged in a second monitor but in the display settings it says "Didn t detect another display, though I m actually watching my laptop screen in the second monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-detection/4a103eb2-66f2-4f2b-9649-78fba320d684
  6. Monitor not Detected

Monitor not Detected: My monitor is not being detected by my laptop ThinkPad Carbon X1 Seems this happened after the MAJOR Windows update a few days ago/ I have tried everything including uninstalling the driver, restoring to before update which is impossible now. Please Help!...
  7. Monitor detection?

Monitor detection?: Hello, After the last big update about 3 weeks ago, when I start my system it fails to detect my second monitor. I have checked and secured all the cable connections. It does not matter if the monitor is on or off when I start the system, it is not detected. When I...
  8. monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor not detected: In Windows 7, I was using extended display: primary=notebook screen secondary=external monitor Ater installing Windows 10, the primary screen is not detected by the system; only the external monitor works. In "System > Display" it says "didn't detect another...
  9. Monitor is detected but display resolution is not correct

Monitor is detected but display resolution is not correct: i bought a new monitor yesterday (AOC E2270SWHN) and i found that the screen was really stretched out when I connected it to my pc. Here is a picture: [img] When I went into the settings I found that there was no option for 1080x1920 and was very confused. Like I said, my...
  10. Monitor not detected

Monitor not detected: I just updated a Gateway netbook from windows 7 to 10. I can use my Samsung TV that is connected with HDMI. However, I can't increase the resolution because my pc does not detect it and acts like the laptop screen is the only display. I used to get full resolution with...