Windows 10: windows cannot see external HDD

Discus and support windows cannot see external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I can not see an external hard drive in file explorer. I can see it in device manager.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rodders_2, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Rodders_2 Win User

windows cannot see external HDD

I can not see an external hard drive in file explorer. I can see it in device manager.

:)

Rodders_2, Jul 9, 2018
  2. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Jul 9, 2018
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Robfusc8 Win User

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Hi,

In response to your questions

• Are all of the external drives from the same manufacturer?
    Yes, they are all Seagate SRDO0F1 of 500GB

• Have you attempted to restart the computer that could not read the external drive and also try to connect the external drive to a different port on the computer after testing the external drive on another computer?
    Yes to both, neither worked.

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    No. PC-B is not permanently connected to the 'net.

I have used to 'Device manager' to check if there is an identified driver problem - nothing is flagged - and I would not expect one HDD to work, and the other not to, if there was a driver problem

Robfusc8, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

1. windows cannot see external HDD - Similar Threads - cannot external HDD

2. Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.: [ATTACH] After starting the move/copy of the given folder, the explorer starts calculating but instead of starting the process, quickly completes (animates 0% to 100% complete) but the folder did not get moved or copied. Happens when trying to move/copy folders larger then...
  3. Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .: I connected an old external HDD to my PC via a USB cable and i cant open the files inside it anymore. It was working until yesterday . Is there a way to fix that HDD by running some applications ? I have used an application before but i cannot remember the name now .It was in...
  4. Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open an External HDD , Please help .: I connected an old external HDD to my PC via a USB cable and i cant open the files inside it anymore. It was working until yesterday . Is there a way to fix that HDD by running some applications ? I have used an application before but i cannot remember the name now .It was in...
  5. WD external disk cannot see in windows 10

WD external disk cannot see in windows 10: Hi, My old windows 7 is gone, so I just bought a new PC with win10 installed. However, it does not show my WD drive after plug in. There is what I did on some tests. Disk management does not show my WD drive either. I ask my friend with a win7 PC, it shows...
  6. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...
  7. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  8. Can't see old user folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't see old user folder on external HDD: I'm updating my old Widows 7 desktop with Windows 10. To make things easier, I'm also replacing my SDD (C: operating system drive), and HDD (E: installed programs and general use drive). I have an 8Tb external hard drive (F: Backup and storage drive) which I stored data I...
  9. External HDD is recognized but cannot be viewed on the windows explorer

External HDD is recognized but cannot be viewed on the windows explorer: Hi, I need help with my Externeal HDD (seagate 1TB), I havent used my HDD for more than a month now. When i plug it in, it lights up, reconized on the task bar on the lower right but I cannot access it through explorer or see the files stored inside. (I have previously...
  10. pc does not see my wd external hdd

pc does not see my wd external hdd: my pc does not see my external wd hdd connected to usb port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/pc-does-not-see-my-wd-external-hdd/2f5bba80-1670-49e5-b4a4-0bd741d741d3