Windows 10: Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected...

Discus and support Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, This is the first time I encounter this problem. In ASUS Utility BIOS - EZ Mode, the storage/hdd is not detected from any Serial ATA Port, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TimTowers, Aug 16, 2018.

1. TimTowers Win User

Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected...

Hi, This is the first time I encounter this problem.
    In ASUS Utility BIOS - EZ Mode, the storage/hdd is not detected from any Serial ATA Port, but Flashdrives are detected from USB Port. So I tried to use windows 10 USB installation media.

I Successfully booted from a Flashdrive, however while on Windows set-up this is what I saw:

Where do you want to install Windows?
    Name | Total Size | Free Space | Type
    Drive 0 Unallocated Space | 0.0 MB | 0.0 MB |

Refresh <blue font, clickable> | Delete <grey font, cannot click> | Format <grey font> | New <blue font>

Load driver <blue font> | Extend <grey font>

Windows can't be installed on this drive. (Show details)

Using the Command Prompt via Installation Media:

X:\Sources>diskpart

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### | Status | Size | Free

--------- | ------- |------- |------

Disk 0 | Online | 0 B | 0 B

Disk 1 | Online | 14 GB | 0 B <This is the USB Flashdrive>

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### | Ltr | Label | Fs

Volume 0 | C | ESD-USB | FAT32

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> convert mbr

DiskPart has encountered an error: The system cannot find the file specified.
    See the System Event Log for more information.

____

I cannot proceed after this. Please Help.

The Laptop is ASUS VivoBook Flip14 TP410U.

:)

TimTowers, Aug 16, 2018

2. How to create an UNACTIVATED Windows 10 installation USB flash drive using the new Media Creation Tool v1803??

I want to note also that the Media Creation Tool didn't give me the option to select the Edition of Windows 10 at the step you can choose the Language, Edition and Architecture. The only thing that was in the list was only the "Windows 10" option, not other
    editions...

So, is this a BUG of Media Creation Tool or I have misunderstood something? Is this reasonable?

Also is it reasonable when you install Windows (by USB Flsah drive created with Media Creation Tool) to be activated on its own after installation finishes??

MinimalTechGR, Aug 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected...

Windows 10 media creation tool can't find USB

Yes. I did.

The Media Creation tool didn't detect the USB drive. But Rufus did. (both running on the same machine). I downloaded ISO, used Rufus to create bootable USB. Moved the flash drive to a different machine and completed a clean Win 10 Pro install

p.s. This SAME USB drive was used before and detected before by an earlier version of the Media Creation Tool on the same machine where it now wasn't being detected by the Tool (yet Rufus was detecting it). Which is why I also suspect it's a bug
    in the Tool

/* EDIT */

I also verified the USB boot drive was detected and bootable from the same machine it was created by Rufus (but not detected by Media Creation Tool)

So, again, I believe this is a tool bug. HOWEVER, i also believe problems with SanDisk (or any other flash drive that's listed as "WinToGo" compatible) is a
    different issue. WinToGo compatible flash drives appear to Windows as Hard Drives so they won't be recognized by Creation Tool as removable USB

LookinAround, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected...

1. Windows can't be installed on this drive. Using USB Media Tool. (*Note: HDD is not detected... - Similar Threads - can't installed drive

2. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  3. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  4. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Using USB After Media Creation Tool

Using USB After Media Creation Tool: So, i just finished using my USB to install Windows 10 onto a computer and I haven't done anything with it since. Now, I would like to use my USB for other things so I'm wondering if there is a proper way of removing the bootable files on it. Any help is greatly appreciated....
  6. USB drive not detecting after installing VLC Media player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB drive not detecting after installing VLC Media player: Hi, I installed VLC Media Player. It reconfigured my computer. When I went to pull up my "G" drive it was gone. Now when I put my USB in, it doesn't work. It wont even light up as if it was trying to work. What I would like to do is - refresh my computer to the way it...
  7. Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media: So i tried using Windows Media Creation Tool to create a new Windows Installer to reinstall Windows on my Machine, problem is on the first time i tried it failed and the USB Drive is not detected anywhere. Not in Rufus, Not in UltraISO, and Diskpart says there is No Media. Is...
  8. I can't finish creating media creation tool to the USB installation Flash drive..

I can't finish creating media creation tool to the USB installation Flash drive..: but Windows downloads Media Creation Tool fine but when it actually gets to the part where it installs to the USB Flash Drive, I get the following error message (and it's happened twice now): [ATTACH]...
  9. Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?

Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?: an I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-an-external-hd-like-a-usb-flash-drive-to/4ff3b24b-d4fc-4237-9598-cf8127730e2f
  10. Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive

Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive: Tonight I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 for my PC. I used the Tool on my brother's PC (which also runs Win 10). I followed all the instructions to save to a USB Drive, and it was going along nicely until I got the following Error message: "There...