Windows 10: Windows clock consistently stays 12 minutes behind

Discus and support Windows clock consistently stays 12 minutes behind in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Check the System log in Event Viewer. Filter on source Time-Service. You should see event IDs 37 and 35. Event ID 37 will show you when the service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RickC, Apr 4, 2018.

1. RickC Win User

Windows clock consistently stays 12 minutes behind

Check the System log in Event Viewer. Filter on source Time-Service. You should see event IDs 37 and 35. Event ID 37 will show you when the service receives a time update (and from which time source... time.windows.com by default), immediately followed by event ID 35 which shows the time being synchronised. There should only be a delay of microseconds between the 2 events (e.g. received at 02:33:38 and synced at 02:33:56).

Event ID 35 also shows the stratum number, i.e. the distance from the time source (in terms of 'router hops', not miles.) In terms of accuracy, a 'stratum-0' service is the most accurate, i.e. an atomic clock reference source. Windows, by default, includes 2 lower stratum sources, time.windows.com and time.nist.gov. These can be seen in the registry at:
    Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers[/quote]
    Windows clock consistently stays 12 minutes behind [​IMG]

(There is nothing to prevent you adding more time sources (as REG_SZ) to the list or replacing the 2 defaults.)

By comparison, the system clock (i.e. in the BIOS) is considered a 'stratum-12' service to show that it's not really considered accurate at all, hence the need to continually update it.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Tbrannon Win User

Since purchasing my new PC, the clock stays consistently 10-12 minutes behind. When I set it to current time, it lasts for a day, then reverts back to 10 minutes behind. Is there a fix for this? Is this a Windows 10 issue, or desktop manufacturer issue?

:)

Tbrannon, Apr 8, 2018
  3. MichelB62 Win User
    Clock displays wrong time

In the 'Internet Time Settings' window I pressed the 'Update now' button.

Both “time.windows.com” and "time.nist.gov" gave "An error occurred while Windows was synchronising with *. This operation returned because the timeout period expired

The clock was most recently synchronised on 5-1-2017 at 12:11" (two minutes ago). But not correctly, as it should have been 13:11.

My clock is still lagging an hour behind real time.

MichelB62, Apr 8, 2018
  4. moro2mou Win User

Issues with updating my NOKIA 5800 XM

Actually, i have the same problem with the clock. Fortunately it's not behind 3 hours like yours, but still, it gets behind a few minutes everyday. So, i am usually late for everything. Windows clock consistently stays 12 minutes behind :)

moro2mou, Apr 8, 2018
  5. Check the BIOS and make sure that is set to the correct time.

DeaconFrost, Apr 8, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    DeaconFrost is most likely correct, seeing it is a brand new machine, but if that is not the case, set your Time Server Sync to use time.nist.gov, not time.windows.com. The windows time server is notorious for getting finicky.

Windows clock consistently stays 12 minutes behind [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows clock consistently stays 12 minutes behind - Similar Threads - clock consistently stays

2. Windows clock forwards 5 minutes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows clock forwards 5 minutes.: Clock in the bottom right corner is 5 minutes faster than the actual time. Everytime it happens, i set it manually, but after some time, the clock forwards 4-5 minutes again. What's the matter?...
  3. Windows clock forwards 5 minutes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows clock forwards 5 minutes.: Clock in the bottom right corner is 5 minutes faster than the actual time. Everytime it happens, i set it manually, but after some time, the clock forwards 4-5 minutes again. What's the matter?...
  4. Windows clock forwards 5 minutes.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Clock won't stay synced

Clock won't stay synced: There are dozens of posts about the clock not staying synced in Win10 and they all have much the same answers. I've tried them all all the command line changes. A post from several years ago mentions the clock going out of sync each time the computer goes to sleep. I now...
  6. Your clock is ahead or Your clock is behind error on Google Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    Your clock is ahead or Your clock is behind error on Google Chrome: [ATTACH]If you are trying to open a website in Google Chrome and you see […] This article Your clock is ahead or Your clock is behind error on Google Chrome first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. system clock is behind

in Windows 10 Support
    system clock is behind: Hello friends! I have a computer where the system clock is like 5-10 min behind. My computer has no issue, and is the same Window disc that is used to installed but with diffrent KEY! What can cause this? WIN VERSION: 20H2 Build: 19042.746 173982
  8. Taskbar staying behind tabs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar staying behind tabs: Basically, my taskbar doesn't show up when I have my google tab or anything maximized. It's always in the background. I have "automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode" on. submitted by /u/RektAndDead [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows 10, Clock lags behind, build 20215.1000

Windows 10, Clock lags behind, build 20215.1000: I did following DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth sfc /scannow net stop w32time w32tm /unregister w32tm /register net start w32time Clock still behind....
  10. Application windows stay hidden behind others?

in Windows 10 Support
    Application windows stay hidden behind others?: Hello, I've been having this issue ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 and I like most of the upgrade but this particular issue is making me want to just go back to 7... When I click on icons for other apps in my task bar, they often just stay hidden behind whatever...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows clock is consistantly off everyday

2. windows 10 time sync the operation returned because the timeout period expired