Windows 10: Windows Command Processor - High CPU Usage

Discus and support Windows Command Processor - High CPU Usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, My VPN app told me to update to a new build and when I run the exe my CPU goes crazy, the fan cranks up and according to Task Manager the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ouroboros72, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Windows Command Processor - High CPU Usage

Hi,

My VPN app told me to update to a new build and when I run the exe my CPU goes crazy, the fan cranks up and according to Task Manager the majority of CPU usage is down to Windows Command Processor. There are three WCP processes listed as running on Task Manager.

Google tells me that WCP is both a legitimate Windows process, but also in some cases is malware tagged with the same name.

Reading around, CMD.exe should be located In C: Win 32 folder, which it is, but when I open location of those WCP running via Task Manager it takes me to another CMD located in (C) > Windows > SYSWOW64 folder. I don't know if this is normal for it to be in more than one location.

I don't have any other symptoms associated with the virus, for e.g. constant popups, or browser going to wrong pages.

Can anyone tell me what the genuine Windows Command Processor actually does, and if it's normal for it to account for high CPU usage for hours on end?

Thanks

:)

ouroboros72, Jun 14, 2017

2. High Cpu usage when using more than 1 Processor

Recently my computer has had a very high cpu usage when I enable more than 1 processor in the boot-advanced tab in the msconfig. Cpu usage in task manager goes upwards of 80-100% when im using 2, 3, or 4 processors. When I'm only using 1 processor the
    cpu usage stays around the normal 4 or 5 percent, but I get way worse preformance/speed. Does anyone know a fix for this?

CianRaynes, Jun 14, 2017
  3. zarroh Win User
    Windows Modules Installer Worker - high CPU usage

Windows Modules Installer Worker - high CPU usage

Windows Module installer worker is constantly running with very high CPU usage .

I'm running Windows 10 Pro

Version 1703

OS Build 15063.540

Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA902

Processor AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.4 GHZ

Installed RAM 6.00 GB (5.48 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch No

***Post moved by the Forum Moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

zarroh, Jun 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Command Processor - High CPU Usage

That's found in both in the case of a 64bit OS.

Never seen that personally.

dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  5. Ok, yes it's 64bit OS, so that's good to know.

Yeah it's been running high for 3 hours now, CPU at about 50% but it's a high end quad core which doesn't usually go up much at all. It did exactly the same thing the other day when I updated the VPN build, so I uninstalled it, re-downloaded the exe and ran it again with the same result. So I'm pretty sure that's the trigger.

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you mean 3 like this in this view, that's 1 instance.

Windows Command Processor - High CPU Usage [​IMG]

If you mean 3 x cmd.exe, that's even stranger.

I'd probably contact the VPN support/forum or switch VPN's.

dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  7. I wish I'd taken a screenshot now. All three were listed as 'Windows Command Processor' (in full) in processes, but I don't know what it said in the details tab. All three tracked to the same application via open file location - namely the one in the SYSWOW64 folder.

If I shut down and reboot it seems to stop them running, so they're gone now because I got fed up with waiting to see if it played itself out. It's just a bit of a mystery, so I was keen to know what WCP actually does, and because the potential malware aspect alarmed me, in case it was downloading something. I did read somewhere it might be 're-indexing library' you see, but that was for someone who had just upgraded OS.

I appreciate the help anyway.

8. evildog1 Win User

I had the same issue. I just kill the process and it's gone

evildog1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Command Processor - High CPU Usage - Similar Threads - Command Processor High

2. CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage is high: My CPU usage is 50% and sometimes higher and the only thing I have opened is Google Chrome. Presentational font cache exe is using most of it and Chrome is using 10-15%. Memory usage is 60% and Chrome is using most of that. 960 mb What can I do to fix this?...
  3. High memory in Windows command processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory in Windows command processor: My Windows Command Processcor take to much memory than usualI tried sfc /scannow and it solve a problem, repair it but its didn't workI endtask it many but it keep turn on and take memory...
  4. High memory in Windows command processor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory in Windows command processor: My Windows Command Processcor take to much memory than usualI tried sfc /scannow and it solve a problem, repair it but its didn't workI endtask it many but it keep turn on and take memory...
  5. High memory in Windows command processor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High memory in Windows command processor: my Windows Command Processcor take to much memory than usualI tried sfc /scannow and it solve a problem, repair it but its didn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-in-windows-command-processor/8d35cc19-1bd5-4a1c-811d-14789c6373de
  6. high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    high cpu usage: hi,I am Krishna, my laptop having some problems with wifi. suddenly wifi is disconnecting and the adaptor is not showing wifi settings after doing a hardware scan or internet troubleshooter it is again showing the wifi settings and connecting to wifi, whenever this happens...
  7. High CPU Usage

High CPU Usage: I just did a factory reset of my windows 10 because of low storage and an issue I have had before and after the reset is high CPU usage. I don't have any external anti virus. And when I get the high usage I just have to open task manager and its fine. its not even when I play...
  8. High CPU usage

High CPU usage: I have constant ongoing high CPU usage . One of the causes is a non Windows app I'm trying to rectify. The other 3 are all Windows based; WMI provider host, Antimalware Service and Services and Controller App....
  9. High CPU Usage in Windows Command Processor

High CPU Usage in Windows Command Processor: I have Windows Command Processor 32 bit CPU high usage trouble in my pc [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-cpu-usage-in-windows-command-processor/5b49faca-8f57-40d5-b9bb-a6541df290a6
  10. High cpu usage

High cpu usage: Hi guys, I have a weird problem and I can't fix it. After changing some settings in Comand Promt my computer started behaving weird. My cpu usage is high and very unstable, for no reason. In the task manager there is nothing that should cause high cpu usage, there are no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows command processor high cpu usage