Windows 10: Windows Core OS aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform

Discus and support Windows Core OS aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft 'Windows Core OS' aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform for the future [img] Microsoft is taking the next steps in its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by swarfega, Sep 28, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Windows Core OS aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform

Microsoft 'Windows Core OS' aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform for the future

Windows Core OS aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform [​IMG]

Source: Windowscentral.com

:)

swarfega, Sep 28, 2017

2. Windows Core OS - an open-source operating system platform to beat AOSP.

As you know, Windows 10 is a "service", meaning that it is a version that will evolve overtime non-stop. It will receive feature updates semi-annually. Mainstream Support ends on 2020, while Extended Support ends on 2025.

So we need a new version of Windows that will remain supported forever. And the first one to be "open-source".

Recently, Microsoft has begun developing a next-generation Windows Platform, namely "Windows Core OS". This platform is like the Android Open-Source Project, which is the "bare-bones" for a proprietary Android operating system. Like the AOSP, Windows Core
    OS will not include any proprietary binary-blobs or software. Without those, the platform can be open-source.

Just to let you know, Windows Core OS is not for everyday users. It is for device manufacturers and developers to build custom Windows operating systems for their devices. This platform is "modular", meaning that a version of Windows can be tailored to a
    device's needs. To make a proprietary Windows operating system, you would have to inject proprietary binary-blobs and software into the source code.

Microsoft can still make proprietary editions of Windows, based on Windows Core OS. The "Home" edition could be proprietary freeware, while the "Pro" edition will be commercial software. The "Enterprise" edition will be subscription-based, and will be sold
    at volume licensing as usual.

With Microsoft's first open-source Windows platform, it could certainly beat AOSP, and could see device manufacturers give up Android on their devices.

thebear424, Sep 28, 2017
  3. Windows 10 IoT Core

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

The core OS image that powers Windows IoT platform on MinnowBoard MAX. Windows 10 IoT Core is the smallest version of the Windows 10 editions that leverages the Windows 10 common core architecture. This edition enables building low-cost devices with fewer
    resources. Development for Windows 10 IoT Core leverages the Universal Windows Platform. Learn more about Windows 10 IoT Core.

I would suggest you to refer the below link to download the Windows 10 IoT Core for MinnowBoard MAX and check if it helps.

Download Windows 10 IoT Core for MinnowBoard MAX from Official Microsoft Download Center

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Sep 28, 2017
  4. OilerNut Win User

Would love a modular based desktop OS. Allow me to select which components I want, give me just a command line if it is all I really wanted.

OilerNut, Sep 28, 2017
  5. Just stop greying out the Uninstall option for all those preinstalled Apps nobody most people don't use already. *Devil

If this means my XBOX experience will be more like my PC experience, have at it. And while your at it, something a little easier to use than 10 IoT for my Raspberry Pi would be nice. *Smile

alphanumeric, Sep 29, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    x
    Hi there

It's available NOW --it's called LINUX !!!!!!

however good move for Windows - although it would be a bit of a contradiction in terms to call something WINDOWS if it was only a CLI !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 29, 2017
  7. FerchogtX Win User
    Honestly, modularity and flexibility during install would be good, Microsoft did the right choice when they transparently stated what the telemetry tools did, how, and ways to turn off stuff you don't use during setup, that is wise, why not extending that to many parts of the OS, making it more stable?

I mean, if components can integrate, but can independantly be used or uninstalled, doesn't that increase stability for the OS, rather than adding bloatware tied to the core?... If subsequent versions of Windows can be even better than 1703 (which is quite fast at use and boot times), that is certainly the right step.

Just my two cents.

FerchogtX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Core OS aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform - Similar Threads - Core aims turn

2. Windows 10 to get features, UX improvements from modular OS

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 to get features, UX improvements from modular OS: Microsoft’s modular and web-first OS ‘Windows 10X’ is expected to launch in the spring of 2021 on new hardware. As we know, some of the operating system’s features could be heading to Windows 10 and Microsoft has already started working on a new panel that will change how...
  3. Microsoft is preparing new modular OS preview for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is preparing new modular OS preview for Windows 10: Lasy year, Microsoft announced a new version of its desktop operating system called ‘Windows 10X’ (pronounced like the letter X, and not numeral 10). Microsoft declared that Windows 10X was specifically intended for dual-screen devices like Surface Neo, but as we reported...
  4. Windows 10’s modular OS appears in a new benchmark

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s modular OS appears in a new benchmark: Ahead of the Build 2020 conference, Microsoft’s much-rumoured Windows Core OS, which is a modular Windows 10 operating system designed for a wide range of form-factors, has resurfaced in Geekbench listings that were posted online this month. The existence of Windows 10’s...
  5. Microsoft’s modular Windows Core OS allegedly spotted on Geekbench

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s modular Windows Core OS allegedly spotted on Geekbench: Mentions of Windows Core OS, long rumoured operating system by Microsoft for dual-screen and foldable devices were recently spotted in the official documentation. And today the rumoured OS has allegedly appeared in a benchmark posted on Geekbench. Recent rumours surrounding...
  6. Hints of Microsoft’s modular Windows Core OS spotted in support doc

in Windows 10 News
    Hints of Microsoft’s modular Windows Core OS spotted in support doc: At the October 2019 event, Microsoft might announce the long rumoured dual-screen device with lightweight Windows Core OS, which has been specifically designed to support dual displays hardware. Over the past few years, and especially over the last few months, we have come...
  7. Windows 10 "Core" OS

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 "Core" OS: Windows Core OS: The Complete Guide | Windows Central I got interested when the latest UUPDUMP ISO for Build 18898 list Windows Core OS as a possible OS choice but it turned out it was just Windows Home. Still the above article is very interesting. 132673
  8. More details of Microsoft’s rumoured modular Windows Core OS appears online

in Windows 10 News
    More details of Microsoft’s rumoured modular Windows Core OS appears online: Microsoft is reportedly working on Windows Core OS, a modular version of the operating system which is supposed to run on all form factors ranging from dual-screen devices to full-fledged desktop and HoloLens. It’s also supposed to power Microsoft’s Surface Andromeda which is...
  9. What we know so far about Microsoft’s modular Windows Core OS

in Windows 10 News
    What we know so far about Microsoft’s modular Windows Core OS: Microsoft is said to be working on Windows Core OS which is the internal codename of a version of Windows 10 intended to run on a variety of form factors. Microsoft hasn’t publicly confirmed the existence of any such operating system but we have discovered evidence time to...
  10. Here’s another look at Surface Hub 2 running modular Windows Core OS

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s another look at Surface Hub 2 running modular Windows Core OS: The next-generation Surface Hub devices will be rolled out in the market by 2020 and the rumour has it that the devices will be running Microsoft’s modular and secure platform codenamed “Windows Core OS”. As pointed out by The Verge’s Tom Warren, Microsoft has demoed the...