Windows 10: windows could not find a backup for this computer

Discus and support windows could not find a backup for this computer in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; did a backup several days ago using restore backup when ancient laptop was running as if new. An old problem returned so I wanted to see if a restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jalea148, Jul 26, 2017.

1. jalea148 Win User

windows could not find a backup for this computer

did a backup several days ago using restore backup when ancient laptop was running as if new. An old problem returned so I wanted to see if a restore would fix it. restore gave the message, "windows could not find a backup for this computer"

:)

jalea148, Jul 26, 2017

2. Seemingly lost files? "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in (Location)" Error during file copy from SD Card

Hey Dave, really appreciate the input!

I gave those steps a try and also gave Recuva an attempt, and I think it may have found the files? By the way, maybe I should have specified, but the files I'm looking for are video files! I assumed, it work the same way however for video or picture files.

I recovered around 24 items (that had an unspecified date). They're a mixture of .MOV and .MP4, but when I try playing them back on VLC, Windows Media Player, the Movies & TV player, I just get an error message asking me to reaquire them.

The Micro SD card still displays 5+ GB in use though. Maybe there's another way to try recovering them? This is reaching a bit, but anyway to roll back the state of an SD card?

At any rate, thanks again for the help!

Pancupcakes, Jul 26, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Seemingly lost files? "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in (Location)" Error during file copy from SD Card

Hi Pancupcakes,

Open the SD card in File Explorer, then in the search box at the top right type *.jpg and see if Windows can find those files for you

If not, right click the SD card and choose Properties, on the Tools Tab, click 'Check'

Once the check completes, see if you can find the files again using the search function

If all else fails, click the link below to download the free version of Recuva, run that on the SD card and see if it can recover your images. If it can, recover them into your PC, not onto the SD card . . .

Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free!

DaveM121, Jul 26, 2017
  4. windows could not find a backup for this computer

Hi jalea148.

Windows can and does have issue occasional find Images it created. I don't have a good answer but lets just clarify....

Just so I'm clear when you did the backup this is the process where you used Windows tools to create an "Image", correct?

Did you created the Image on an external drive or an alternate drive in system?

Could you tell us how you create Image?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 27, 2017
  5. jalea148 Win User
    Restore was typed into search; the top 2 of all the matches were 'create a restore point' and 'backup and restore'. I used create a restore point with 'backup and restore'. I accepted a suggested location on the C-drive. I just noticed 'backup and restore' now say 'backup and restore on Windows 7'. That may be the problem.

jalea148, Jul 27, 2017
  6. Okay. Two different things, at least I treat them that way.

Restore points are copies of the registry files and necessary files as I understand it. These are used by a function called "System Restore" to take you back to a point in time when you created the restore point. I've seen in Windows 10 where "Restore Points" are not enabled and the user, you, have to enable. You also determine how much space you want to use so you can keep multiple "Restore Points". So technically they are a backup but not how I think of Backup.

Backup and Restore Windows 7 is the real "Backup" app. It allows you to create an Image of your system and or just data files. The Image includes all files from Windows, Programs and Data. It is stored in what I will call a container, a big blob of a file. It also allows you to copy out data files and these appear in File explorer as traditional files.

The Backup and Restore Win 7 also creates a boot disk to allow you to boot the system and then restore the Image file you previously created. You also see this in the Advance Startup menu as System Image Recovery.

So if you are using Restore Points, Windows Key + R, type in sysdm.cpl, enter. Click on System Protection tab.

You want to see, in the lower box, that system protection is "On" for the C: drive. Under configure you can determine amount of space to use. If enable for C: you should see above it "System Restore". Again this is just the registry and files it copies. If you click System Restore it walks you through. If it can't find restore points that is unusual or System Protection is not enable. If Restore Points are enable and you just went through a major upgrade, v1607 to V1703, your old restore points are not available.

If you want to use a very good tool for Images please check out Macrium Reflect. Free, very reliable and recommended by members. We have a tutorial in our library. I would recommend it over the built in tool. The built in tool can be used for data files effectively. I also always recommend that if you are doing data backups or Images that they be done to media that can be removed, made offline. Its okay to keep an Image online but my thinking is you don't want all your eggs in one basket.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 27, 2017
  7. jalea148 Win User
    Ken, I ran sysdm.cpl and enabled protection. When in system restore it shows the current date. After clicking on more it showed the missing restore point and others relating to updates. Can I backup to any of these? If so, how? Thank you.

jalea148, Jul 27, 2017
  8. windows could not find a backup for this computer

Cool. You click (or double click) on one and follow the prompts. System restore doesn't always work but it is pretty reliable. It issues a warning, you decide and accept.

The further you go back in the time machine the more "System" changes you lose. Say yesterday you installed chrome. Going back two days and Chrome won't appear. Same for Updates, they will have to be redone. The nice thing is data files, your personally created stuff is unchanged, so the letter you wrote yesterday in Open Office remains.

Again some members on the forum use Macrium Reflect to achieve this although they keep there data on separate partitions or backed up. When you restore an Image to a partition it "restores" the partition to the way it was, not only the system. It is very reliable.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  9. jalea148 Win User
    At your recommendation, Macrium Reflect was installed and run. No problem. Thanks.

jalea148, Jul 28, 2017
  10. Stevekir Win User
    I have used Macrium Reflect Free for over a year now and it quietly makes an image of my C drive every day, retaining the previous two images. I have twice tested it by doing a restore from a recent image and it worked perfectly. It is highly regarded.

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows could not find a backup for this computer

1. windows could not find a backup for this computer - Similar Threads - find backup computer

2. Could not find Recovery Environment. - Computer Hard Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not find Recovery Environment. - Computer Hard Reset: Hello!I have a problem with resetting my laptop windows 10. I have already created a "Recovery Environment" Referring to the link below on Recovery options in Windows 10:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options and sadly still says "Could Not...
  3. Could not find Recovery Environment. - Computer Hard Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not find Recovery Environment. - Computer Hard Reset: Hello!I have a problem with resetting my laptop windows 10. I have already created a "Recovery Environment" Referring to the link below on Recovery options in Windows 10:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options and sadly still says "Could Not...
  4. Could not find Recovery Environment. - Computer Hard Reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Could not find this item

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Could not find this item: Hello,I've been having a problem for about a week, where I need to delete large quantities of pictures and documents from Windows 10. But every time I want to do this, I can the message: Item Not Found.Could not find this item. This is no longer located in path . Verify the...
  6. Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices: [ATTACH]In this article, we will describe the possible solutions for Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices. Some Windows 10 users have reported that they received an error 0x81000036 on their system during an attempt to create a system image backup. When...
  7. “Could not find this item”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Could not find this item”: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sexysenju [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kmwog9/could_not_find_this_item/
  8. Create System Image Error Windows Could Not Find Backup Device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create System Image Error Windows Could Not Find Backup Device: Dear Sir Hope all is well , Yesterday i have upgraded my Win 10 Pro From 1909 to Win 10 2004 Version, Everything looks fine but when i want to take system image for backup and Click "Create System Image" after so,e time Error appears " Windows Could Not Find Backup Device on...
  9. could not find iviewers.dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    could not find iviewers.dll: restarting pc the error appear: 'could not find iviewers.dll" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/could-not-find-iviewersdll/cc34c515-bda6-4d0a-be94-8a35ed4096b4
  10. Create System Image - Windows could not find backup devices

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create System Image - Windows could not find backup devices: Hi, When trying to create a system image I get the following error - any ideas anyone? [img] I have HDD attached but they are encypted with bitlocker. Prior to upgrade I had no issues. Cheers, 28828

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows could not find a backup for this computer

2. windows could not find a backup

3. windows could find backup on this computer

4. 3windows could not find backup,
  5. Could not Find a Backup for This Computer,
  6. could not restore pc,
  7. windows could not find a back-up,
  8. windows 10 could not find a backup for this computer,
  9. windows could not find a backup for this computer windows 10 new computer