Windows 10: Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error

Discus and support Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been trying to install the anniversary update but it keeps failing. When I attempt through "Check for updates" in settings it finishes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ryanritterbusch, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error

I've been trying to install the anniversary update but it keeps failing. When I attempt through "Check for updates" in settings it finishes downloading/installing then restarts my PC, when it turns back on I get the notification that updates couldn't finish installing. I have tried the Win10 upgrade assistant from Microsoft but it either gives me "Something went wrong 0x80004005 Error Code" or it will continue to download/install and open a window with the dark blue background but then exit and say in a small pop up "Windows 10 update failed."
    Any solutions for my problem?

:)

ryanritterbusch, Aug 6, 2016

2. Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error when using Upgrade Assistant

I've been trying to install the anniversary update but it keeps failing. When I attempt through "Check for updates" in settings it finishes downloading/installing then restarts my PC, when it turns back on I get the notification that
    updates couldn't finish installing. I have tried the Win10 upgrade assistant from Microsoft but it either gives me "Something went wrong 0x80004005 Error Code" or it will continue to download/install and open a window with the dark blue background but then
    exit and say in a small pop up "Windows 10 update failed."

Any solutions for my problem?

RyanRitterbusch ✔, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Error code: 0x80004005 | Error description he definition updates couldn't be installed

Error code: 0x80004005

Error description he definition updates couldn't be installed

Unable to update windows defender

No other security software

Windows 10 64 bit current and up to date. No connectivity issues

John_Hunter, Aug 6, 2016
  4. Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error

I had the 0x80004005 on many occasions, at the first restart during the update. I tried updating with both the Windows Update Assistant and a DVD created using the Media Creation Tool but always with the same failure.

Eventually I tried a vanilla install on a spare hard drive. Not surprisingly this worked. I noticed that during this install Windows also created a System partition. I had no systems partition on my main hard drive and this has never caused me any problems. On a hunch I copied my old version of Win 10 to the spare disk, leaving the systems partition in place. This time the upgrade worked! After upgrading, I copied the upgraded version back to the disk without the systems partition and it still seems fine.

So at least in my case, it seems the system partition needs to be there during the upgrade process but not subsequently. This ties in with the fact that I had absolutely no problem upgrading my sister's PC which did have a system partition.

ScotsmanBill, Aug 7, 2016
  5. maarkr Win User
    I've had luck doing a clean boot then upgrading on several occasions...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

you're basically shutting off all startup items in msconfig, disconnecting all usb and internet cables, and restart, then upgrade...

maarkr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error

1. Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error - Similar Threads - couldn't finish installing

2. Windows couldn't finish installing updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows couldn't finish installing updates: I have Windows 10 Home and for a half a year I have been getting this "Windows couldn't finish installing the updates" error. I've tried everything. I've been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes I just gave up to just see the same error once again. My...
  3. We couldn't finish installing updates.

We couldn't finish installing updates.: So my PC is running on the 1607 version of windows, and constantly gives me update prompts. The problem is, after I try and update I get the error message "We couldn't finish installing updates", and my OS stays the same. I have already contacted support, and the person from...
  4. Windows couldn't finish installing updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows couldn't finish installing updates: My Asus Z68 pc had an update that just refuses to run and gets stuck ina loop after the reboot. it downloads, but after reboot. a never ending loop. I have more computers, but this is the one that this update is just screwed up. I spent 4 hours today trying to fix it. I am...
  5. Windows couldn't finish installing updates.

Windows couldn't finish installing updates.: I have Windows 10 Home and for a half a year I have been getting this "Windows couldn't finish installing the updates" error. I've tried everything. I've been constantly stopping the Windows update service and sometimes I just gave up to just see the same error once again. My...
  6. Windows Couldn't Complete the Update, Undoing Changes / We Couldn't Finish Installing...

Windows Couldn't Complete the Update, Undoing Changes / We Couldn't Finish Installing...: As the title states, I've been having issues for the past several weeks trying to install the recent windows updates. My System Specifications are: System - Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 10.0, Build 18363 - System Manufacturer: Micro-Stat International Co. -...
  7. "we couldn't finish installing updates" every time

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "we couldn't finish installing updates" every time: On my HP Envy 17 running Windows 10 with 16 GB of RAM, Every time Windows 10 tries to install "Feature Update for Windows 10 Version 1909" It always errors out "Undoing changes made to your computer" pre-log-in and "we couldn't finish installing updates" after logging in....
  8. Couldn't finish installing updates

Couldn't finish installing updates: After many rounds of download/undoing changes machine shut off. Waited hour, after it restarted itself the 2nd time a View update history window popped up Two 2020 5 cumulative updates didn't install KB4552931 and KB4556799 What to do?...
  9. windows 10 update error 0X80004005.

windows 10 update error 0X80004005.: I have been trying to update to version 1803 from version 1607 but nothing is working keep getting an error 0X80004005. I have tried all of the work around, I can not even do a reinstall or restore back to factory settings. I am really at a lost. I really need some help!!!...
  10. Solution for Failed Windows 10 Update Installation Error 0x80004005

Solution for Failed Windows 10 Update Installation Error 0x80004005: I've finally solved the problem preventing me from updating my Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 as described in https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...at-next-2.html. The installation was consistently failing at the point where Windows is...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 we couldnt finish installing

2. 0x80004005 the definition updates couldnt be installed