Windows 10: Windows credential issues on a local domain

Discus and support Windows credential issues on a local domain in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Novice sysadmin here on a locally hosted domain. We're having an issue with windows credentials where, my endpoints have manually created credentials... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Tyler1738, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Tyler1738 Win User

Windows credential issues on a local domain

Novice sysadmin here on a locally hosted domain. We're having an issue with windows credentials where, my endpoints have manually created credentials to access a network share hosted from a local server which contains the front end to an SQL server we run on MS Access, sometimes windows will prompt my users for credentials despite that and when our admins enter credentials it refuses them as incorrect. I tried changing security and sharing settings on the files themselves, giving those endpoints and users higher privilege, re-creating the credentials, so far the only band-aid solution has be

:)

Tyler1738, Feb 12, 2024
  2. changari Win User

Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Feb 12, 2024
  3. Brink Win User
    Credential Guard lab companion

Source: Credential Guard lab companion Datacenter and Private Cloud Security Blog

See also:

Brink, Feb 12, 2024
  4. Kari Win User

Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

I removed my reply because watching those instructions on TechNet I started wondering if they really work with Windows 10.

Anyway, whatever you try create first a dummy profile, customize it a bit and move it to domain. If everything works, you can then move real profiles.

Thema:

1. Windows credential issues on a local domain - Similar Threads - credential issues local

2. Windows credential issues on a local domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows credential issues on a local domain: Novice sysadmin here on a locally hosted domain. We're having an issue with windows credentials where, my endpoints have manually created credentials to access a network share hosted from a local server which contains the front end to an SQL server we run on MS Access,...
  3. Windows credential issues on a local domain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows credential issues on a local domain: Novice sysadmin here on a locally hosted domain. We're having an issue with windows credentials where, my endpoints have manually created credentials to access a network share hosted from a local server which contains the front end to an SQL server we run on MS Access,...
  4. Windows credentials on another domain share

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows credentials on another domain share: Hi and thanks in advance for the time spent to read my issue.I've some user on our domain lets call it DomA that need to access a share on a fileserver in another domain DomB. The issue is that windows tries silently to log in on the share with the DomA credential, fails and...
  5. Windows credentials on another domain share

Windows credentials on another domain share: Hi and thanks in advance for the time spent to read my issue.I've some user on our domain lets call it DomA that need to access a share on a fileserver in another domain DomB. The issue is that windows tries silently to log in on the share with the DomA credential, fails and...
  6. Windows credentials on another domain share

7. Windows issue with credentials...

Windows issue with credentials...: I have an odd, intermittent issue with Windows 10. It manifests every few months, usually i correct it by reimaging my PC, but having to do so is getting really annoying.Everything will be going fine, and then all the sudden, outlook will ask for the password for all the...
  8. Local domain credentials issue after connecting to different domain via VPN

Local domain credentials issue after connecting to different domain via VPN: Hello I have finally discovered why I sometimes have issues connecting to local resources. I am presently working from home. I establish a VPN connection to my work network located at our office and then use Remote Desktop to connect to my PC - mydomain\myname While...
  9. Issues with Local Users and Domain

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues with Local Users and Domain: Hi All New to all of this so apologies if I get some terminology wrong. I am currently in the process of trying to change the settings for the primary user account for a Windows 10 PC, but it would appear that the PC was a part of a domain which has restricted access to...
  10. Domain to Local Account Issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Domain to Local Account Issues: Hello, one and all! When I initially upgraded to 10 from 8.1 I created a local account and logged into my Microsoft Account. I just recently used the Windows Server Essentials 2012 Connector to get on the domain at work. After all of that completed successfully I went to...